Recording Three
录音三
We've had fifty years of progress since that landmark Surgeon General's report back in 1964.
自1964年,卫生局局长发表报告之后的50年,我们取得了很大进展。
Over these years incredible things have taken place.
在过去的这些年,美国发生了巨大的变化。
Our society has changed—changed in terms of tobacco use, in terms of its acceptance of smoking in public establishments, in restaurants, in bars.
我们的社会发生了改变——改变了对烟草的使用,也改变了在公共场所、饭店、酒吧吸烟的接受度。
So things have really changed for the better.
所以吸烟的状况日渐好转。
In addition, smoking rates have come down in the United States.
而且美国的吸烟比率已经降低了。
We went from 43 percent of adult smokers in the United States to 18 percent currently.
美国之前成年吸烟者的比例是43%,现在降到了18%。
So that's really made incredible headway, yet I have to emphasize the battle is not over, the war is not over.
我们取得了极大的进展,但是我必须强调:这场对抗烟草的战役还没有结束,斗争还在继续。
Eighteen percent of American adults who are still smoking, basically 40 million people in our population.
18%的美国成年人还在吸烟,也就是说还有4千万美国人在吸烟。
That being said we have to realize also that of that whole group, we're going to have roughly a half million people every year dying from smoking related diseases.
每年有将近50万人死于由吸烟引起的疾病,这也是我们必须要意识到的一点。
So although we've made progress in a half century the reality is we still have a lot of work to do.
虽然这半个世纪以来,我们已经取得了进展,但现实情况是我们还有很多工作要做。
So, you know, we increasingly see tough advertisements on the air against smoking.
你知道,广播中反对吸烟的广告越来越多。
These ads are working.
这些广告起到了作用。
In particular, the CDC the Center for Disease Control and Prevention came up with a series of advertisements from former smokers called TIPS.
尤其是,疾病防控中心从曾经的吸烟者身上想出了一系列被称作是“小贴士”的广告。
And that really was quite effective in terms of reducing the number of smokers.
这些广告在减少吸烟者人数方面确实是非常有效的。
In addition, there's various policies that need to be implemented and further implemented in order to make us a tobacco free society.
另外,为了造就一个无烟社会,我们需要实施一些政策并进一步落实。
So we really have to work at the idea of using media, using those advertisements.
我们需要想法利用媒体来宣传禁烟广告。
We have to look at really concentrating on the youth of America to make it more difficult to actually get cigarettes.
我们要集中精力让美国的青少年难以接触到香烟。
And in addition we have to look at the idea of pricing cigarettes appropriately so that ultimately it becomes a hardship to use those products.
我们还要考虑给香烟适当定价,以使香烟成为难以享用的商品。
So, let's talk a little bit about packaging those products.
那么,我们就来谈谈香烟的包装。
Other countries have much more graphic detail of the potential dangers of smoking.
其他国家在包装上详细绘画了吸烟潜在的危险。
We're currently working closely; the office of the Surgeon General is working closely with the Food and Drug Administration, specifically the Center for Tobacco Products
我们正在紧密合作,卫生局局长办公室和食品药物监督局,尤其是烟草制品中心正在密切合作。
and are reanalyzing the whole row of the idea of the warning labels and the idea of how graphic they should be,
我们正在重新分析所有警示语的设定以及如何更加形象地绘制图像。
and so there will probably be more information coming out on this in the near future.
不久之后,香烟的包装上会出现更多的信息。
Questions 23 to 25 are based on the recording you have just heard.
问题23-25是基于刚刚你所听到的那段录音。
Question 23 What is the number of smokers in America?
问题23:美国烟民的数量是多少?
Question 24 What measures can be taken to make it harder to get cigarettes?
问题24:我们应该采取什么样的措施来使人们难以得到香烟?
Question 25 What institution does the speaker most likely come from?
问题25:说话人很可能是来自哪个机构?
译文属可可原创,仅供学习和交流使用,未经允许不得转载