We're! Did she have to involve me in this? And why can't she get to the point and hang up?
我们!她干吗非要把我扯进去呢?她干吗不能直截了当地把话说完就把电话挂上?
"Oliver!"
“奥利佛!”
She had her hand on the mouthpiece again and was talking very loud.
她又用手捂住了话筒,可话却说得很响。
"He's wounded, Oliver! Can you just sit there and let your father bleed?"
“他感情上受到了伤害,奥利佛!眼看你父亲的心在流血,你能坐在那儿无动于衷吗?”
Had she not been in such an emotional state, I could have explained once again that stonesdo not bleed. But she was very upset. And it was upsetting me too.
要不是她这样动感情,我也许会再次向她解释,铁石心肠是不会流血的。但是她此刻心烦意乱。再说我也给搞得心烦意乱。
"Oliver, she pleaded, "could you just say a word?"
“奥利佛,”她恳求说,“你就只说一两句不行吗?”
To him? She must be going out of her mind!
跟他说话?她准是疯了!
"I mean, like just maybe 'hello'?"
“我是说,就说句‘哈罗’之类打招呼的话?”
She was offering the phone to me. And trying not to cry.
她把电话向我递过来,一边竭力忍住不哭。
"I will never talk to him. Ever," I said with perfect calm.
“我决不跟他说话,决不,”我十分平静地说。
And now she was crying. Nothing audible, but tears pouring down her face. And then she — she begged.
这下她哭了。虽然听不到一点声音,但看得见眼泪顺着她的面颊直淌下来。接着她——她就哀求起来。
"For me,Oliver. I've never asked you for anything. Please."
“看在我的分上,奥利佛。我从来没有求过你什么。这回我求你了。”
Three of us. Three of us just standing (I somehow imagined my father being there as well) waiting for something. What? For me?
我们三个人。我们三个人就这么站着,等待着什么(不知怎么,在我的想像中父亲似乎就站在跟前)。等什么呢?等我?
I couldn't do it.
我没法照办。
Didn't Jenny understand she was asking the impossible? That I would have done absolutely anything else? As I looked at the floor, shaking my head in adamant refusal and extreme discomfort, Jenny addressed me with a kind of whispered fury I had never heard from her:
难道詹妮不明白她是在要求根本办不到的事?不明白除此之外的任何别的事儿,我都会绝对照办?我低头望着地板,极其苦恼却又十分坚决地摇了摇头表示拒绝。这时,詹妮带着一腔怒火,强压嗓门冲着我直骂。我还从来没有听到她这样怒气冲冲地对我说过话:
You are a heartless bastard,"she said.
“你是个没有心肝的杂种,”她说。