"Jen?"
“詹?”
"Ollie?"
“奥利?”
We both spoke so quietly, it was impossible to take an emotional reading.
我们俩的口气都那么平静,不可能听出对方话中的感情色彩。
"I forgot my key," Jenny said.
“我忘了带钥匙了,”詹妮说。
I stood there at the bottom of the steps, afraid to ask how long she had been sitting, knowing only that I had wronged her terribly.
我站在台阶下,不敢问她在这儿已经坐了多久,只知道我大大地委屈了她。
"Jenny, I'm sorry—"
“詹妮,对不起——”
"Stop!" she cut off my apology,then said very quietly, "Love means not ever having to say you're sorry."
“别说了!”她打断我的道歉,接着心平气和地说:“爱就意味着永远不必说对不起。”
I climbed up the stairs to where she was sitting.
我登上台阶走到她坐的地方。
"I'd like to go to sleep. Okay?" she said.
“我想睡觉了,好吗?”她说。
"Okay."
“好的。”
We walked up to our apartment. As we undressed, she looked at me reassuringly.
我们走上楼,来到我们的公寓套间。在我们脱衣就寝时,她用一种让我宽心的目光望着我。
"I meant what I said, Oliver."
“刚才我说的话是真心实意的,奥利佛。”
And that was all.
这事儿就这么过去了。