Berlcha had prepared fish, chicken soup with rice, meat, carrot stew. The family ate and drank, and when it grew quiet for a while one could hear the chirping of the house cricket.
伯尔莎准备好了鱼、鸡汤米饭、肉,还有胡萝卜炖菜。一家人享用着,屋里渐渐变得安静了,能听到蟋蟀的鸣叫声。
After the final prayer Samuel asked, "Father,what did you do with all the money I sent you?"Berl raised his white brows. "It's here."
最后祷告完毕后,塞缪尔问:“爸爸,你用我寄给你们的钱做了什么?”伯尔扬了扬白色的眉毛说:“就在这儿。”
"Didn't you put it in a bank?"
“你没把它存到银行去?”
"There is no bank in Lentshin."
“伦特欣没有银行。”
"Where did you keep it?"
“那你把它放到哪儿了?”
Berl hesitated. "One is not allowed to touch money on the Sabbath, but I will show you." He crouched beside the bed and began to shove something heavy. A boot appeared. Its top was stuffed with straw. Berl removed the straw and the son saw that the boot was full of gold coins. He lifted it.
伯尔犹豫了一下:"在安息日是不可以摸钱的,不过我还是指给你看。“他蹲在床边,开始挪动一个很沉的东西。拉出了一只靴子,上面塞满了稻草。伯尔掏出了稻草,儿子看到靴子里装满了金帀。他提起了靴子。
"Father, this is treasure!" he called out.
“爸爸,这是个宝藏。”他喊道。
"Well."
“是啊。”
"Why didn't you spend it?"
“你们为什么不花了它?”
"On what? Thank God, we have everything."
“买什么啊?感谢上帝,我们什么都有啊。”
"Why didn't you travel somewhere?"
“那你们怎么不去旅行啊?”
"Where to? This is our home."
“去哪儿,这儿是我们的家。”
The son asked one question after the other, but Berl's answer was always the same: They had everything. The garden, the cow, the goat, the chickens provided them with all they needed.
儿子问了一个又一个问题,但伯尔的回答总是一样的:他们拥有一切。菜园、奶牛、山羊和鸡为他们提供了所需的一切。
The son said, "If thieves knew about this, your lives wouldn't be safe."
儿子说:"如果窃贼知道这钱,你们就危险了。”
"There are no thieves here."
“这儿没有小偷。”
"What will happen to the money?"
“那你们准备拿这些钱来做什么?”
"You take it."
“你拿走吧!”
Slowly, Berl and Berlcha grew accustomed to their son and his American Yiddish. Berlcha could hear him better now.
伯尔和伯尔莎慢慢习惯了他们的儿子和他那带有美国口音的意第绪语。