Unit 12 Culture Shock
第12单元 文化冲击
Lesson 1 Visiting Britain
第1课 游览英国
Dear Aunt Mei,
亲爱的梅姨,
I can't believe I've been in London for 6 months already!
真不敢相信我已在伦敦呆了6个月了!
I certainly owe you an apology for not writing more often.
没有多给您写信非常抱歉。
I've just been so busy studying and trying to absorb all the new things around me
我一直忙于学习,了解身边的新事物
- I think I'm still experiencing culture shock.
—我觉得自己还在经历文化冲击。
There is so much here that is different from home.
这儿很多事情和国内不一样。
But you'll soon experience it all yourself!
不久您就会亲身体验了!
I wish your visit wasn't going to be so brief but there's a lot we can do and see in a week.
我真希望您的来访时间不会这么短,但是一周内我们也有很多事情可以做,有很多地方可以参观。
I'm just so glad you can afford to visit me
您能抽时间来看我,我真是太高兴了。
and I refuse to let you pay for anything while you're here!
您在这儿期间我不会让您花钱的!
I don't know what your expectations are of London,
我不知道您对伦敦有什么期望,
but knowing that you've never travelled outside of Asia,
但是我知道您从来没有到亚洲以外的地方旅行,
I thought I'd tell you a bit about what you can expect to find.
所以我想告诉您一些这里的情况。
First of all, the food.
首先是食物。
When I first got here, I was amazed to find that London is such an international city.
我刚到时对于伦敦这样一个国际化的城市感到吃惊。
There are people from all over the world living here
这里的人来自世界各地,
and as a result, there are many international restaurants.
因此有许多各个国家的餐馆。
Do you know that almost every town in Britain has at least one Chinese restaurant?
您知道吗?在英国几乎每个镇子都有一家中国餐馆。
But British people hardly ever eat Chinese food for breakfast.
但是英国人早饭不吃中餐。
You're going to have to get used to bacon and eggs with a few slices of toast for breakfast over here, Aunt Mei!
所以,梅姨,您得适应这里腌肉、鸡蛋加几片烤面包的早饭。