My Student
我的学生
Brian Jenkins, science teacher at Overton School.
布赖恩·詹金斯,欧威顿学校的科学老师。
Before Graham came into my class, he was very difficult.
格雷厄姆来上我的课之前很难管教。
I had heard stories about his bad behaviour.
我听过他的那些坏行为。
Once I caught him and a friend seeing who could spit the furthest off the school stage!
有一次我抓到他和一个朋友在学校的舞台上比谁的唾液吐得最远。
But when he got interested, he changed.
但是当他感兴趣之后,他就改变了。
The first day he walked into my class,
他走进我课堂的第一天,
he was dragging his school bag behind him and looking bored,
书包拖在身后,看样子很无聊;
but as soon as I set up an experiment to show how the human stomach works using acid and an onion,
但是当我用酸和一个洋葱做实验,演示人的胃是如何运作时,
he gave me his full attention.
他马上就全神贯注了。
He loved science!
他喜欢科学!
He was very bright and should have done much better in all his other subjects.
他非常聪明,而且本应该所有的科目都能学得比当时要好得多。
I've read a couple of his books and seen him on TV.
我读过他的几本书,在电视上看到过他。
I always say to my wife, "Oh look, I used to teach him!"
我总是对我妻子说,“哦,看看,我以前教过他!”
I wish I was as successful with all my students as I was with Graham.
我希望我教的所有学生都能像教格雷厄姆那样成功。
It's difficult teaching nowadays.
现在教书很难。
There are lots of problems and not enough money.
问题有很多,资金也不够。
The government should have put more money towards science education.
政府应该在科学教育方面投入更多的资金。
And I wish they would decrease the size of classes
我也希望他们能减少班级的规模,
- it's not easy doing lessons in laboratories with big groups
—在实验室里带着一大群学生上课不容易,
and it must be even worse in the poorer schools!
要是在更穷的学校里情况一定会更糟糕。
At least with schools like ours, we have laboratories!
至少要有像我们这样的学校,我们有实验室。
My wife often wishes that I had chosen a job with less stress but I love what I do.
我妻子常常希望我选一份压力小点的工作,但是我喜欢我现在做的工作。
The thing about being a teacher
作为一名老师,
is that you have access to children's minds when they are open and eager to learn.
你能在孩子们敞开心扉渴望学习的时候走进他们的心里。
And if what I do as a teacher can help turn a child like Graham into such a successful adult,
而且,如果我作为老师所作的事情能够帮助像格雷厄姆这样的孩子变成成功人士的话,
then I know what I'm doing is worthwhile.
那我知道我所做的事情是值得的。