Step two: searching for information
第二步:搜索信息
There are several things to take into consideration when you are searching.
在你搜索的时候,要考虑一些事。
1 Information gets old.
1 信息会过时。
Just as you might look at when a book was published, you must also check the dates of the websites you find.
正如同你会看一本书的出版日期,你必须也要检查你所找到的站点的日期。
Many websites will say, at the bottom of the page, the date when they were last updated.
许多网站会在页面的最下端声明他们最后更新的日期。
Do not use information that is too old.
不要用太陈旧的信息。
2 People put information on the Internet.
2 是人把信息放到因特网上的。
Usually, people try to put correct information on the Internet, but not every person bothers to read over their own writing and make corrections.
通常地,人们会设法放正确的信息到网上,但是不是每个人都会校对他们的所写的并修正。
As a general rule, check the source of the information you find.
一般的规则是,检查你找到的信息的来源。
Personal web pages are not recommended for doing research.
个人网页对于调查研究来说并不好。
Government pages or pages managed by organizations and companies you trust are much better.
政府页面,或你信任的组织和公司的页面所管理的页面更好一些。
If you are not sure about the information you find, consult other web pages to confirm it.
如果你不确认你找到的信息,可以参考其他网页来确定信息。
3 The way you type your key words makes a difference.
3 你输入关键字的方式很重要。
If you use the plus symbol ‘+’, it means the same as the word ‘and’.
如果你用加号“+”,它和“and”的意思是一样的。
You can search for ‘bird + sparrow’ and the results of your search will only be pages that have the word 'bird' and 'sparrow' in them.
你可以查找“鸟+麻雀”,然后你搜索的结果就会是只包含“鸟”和“麻雀”的页面。
A minus symbol ‘-’ means the same as 'not', so if you want to learn about birds but you do not want any information about sparrows, you could type ‘bird - sparrow’.
减号“-”与“不”意思一样,所以如果你想要学习鸟类而又不想要有关麻雀的信息,你可以输入“鸟”-“麻雀”。
Then your results will be all the pages that have the word ‘bird’, but not ones that have the word ‘sparrow’.
然后你的结果里将是全部有“鸟”这个词的页面,但是却没有“麻雀”这个词的页面。
If you type ‘bird OR sparrow’, then your results will be web pages that have information about birds or sparrows.
如果你输入“鸟”或“麻雀”,那么你的结果里都会是包含鸟或麻雀的页面。