Reproduction resistance The reptiles win
爬行动物获胜
Resistance was futile.The reptiles had won!
反抗是没用的. 爬行动物已经赢了!
How they had been able to increase their rate of reproduction I would never know,
它们是如何提高繁殖 速度的,我不得而知,
But they had taken over my residence and I.
但它们已经占领了我的 住处并且控制住了 我这个人.
My resilience was gone.
我已经没有了 复原的能力.
I handed in my resignation at my new job
我递了辞呈, 要辞掉我的新工作,
And told them I was going back to the Midwest;desert life was not for me!
告诉他们我要回到 中西部去,沙漠生活 不适合我!
I hadn't always been so resigned to defeat.
过去我可不常这样 向失败低头.
I had, in fact, resembled a true desert lover when I first arrived.
事实上,刚到的时候, 我还真像一个 热爱沙漠的人.
But then I met my first rattlesnake, the reputed owner of the west,
但是后来,我生平第一 次遇到了享有盛誉的西 部主人 响尾蛇!
Right there in my residential area!
在这儿 就在我居住 的地方,
I had all the requisite fear and reservations about meeting this creature,
碰到这种动物我是要多 害怕有多害怕,并且始 终持着保留意见,
But the reality was more than terrifying.
而现实还更加恐怖,
Here was a creature that could send me to the hospital !
它可是会让我 生病住院的!
It didn't matter that they would have an antidote.
他们可能有解毒药 又有什么用呢?
I didn't want to have to be rescued!
我可不想弄到不得不 抢救的地步!
That's when I began to fear that the reptile might be in my nice new house!
从那时起我便开始担心 我可爱的新家会出现 这种爬行动物!
They were and I became the resident of a war zone!
它们还真出现了,而我 成了交战地带的居民!
I dipped into my financial reserves and hired an exterminator.
我倾尽所有雇人 把我家的蛇清除掉.
He requested I live in a hotel for a week.
他要求我在酒店里 住一个星期,
But the snakes seemed to resent him and they multiplied!
但那些蛇好像对他不满 因为它们开始迅速繁殖 起来!
Then I hired an Indian snake charmer. That failed as well.
后来我又雇了一名 印度耍蛇人, 效果还是不好.
After gaining a reputation in the neighborhood as desert hater
后来我名声大作, 大家都叫我 恨沙漠的人 ,
I began to think I might not be able to meet the requirements needed to live here.
这时我开始认为我可能 达不到在这里 生活的要求.
I resisted the desire to leave for weeks,
我与离开的想法斗争 了好几个星期,
But when my reservoir of patience wore out I gave up.
等到我的耐心宝库 终于枯竭,我只好 放弃了.
Now if I could just get used to those mosquitoes back home!
现在,如果我能习惯家 里的那些蚊子就好了!