职场社交英语 Lesson 50:新来的程序设计师行吗?
SCENE① B 文斯与艾文在男洗手间里
【新来的程序设计师行吗?】
Vince: 1) How are Zina's new programmers working out?
文斯: 吉娜找来新的程序设计师行吗?
Elvin: I hate to 2) admit it, but they're good. And fast. The 3) Filipino kid is a 4) genius.
艾文: 我不愿意承认,不过他们很行。而且手脚又快。那菲律宾小子是个天才。
Vince: So you'll make the Stars.com 5) deadline, and have us up and running next week?
文斯: 所以你们能赶上Stars.com给的最后期限,我们下星期就能上线运作?
Elvin: It'll be close, but we'll make it.
艾文: 时间很紧迫,但我们会赶上的。
Vince: Good. After Stars.com starts paying us, we won't need Vikam's cash anymore.
文斯: 好。等Stars.com开始付我们钱之后,我们就不再需要“维康”的现金了。
Elvin: And if we don't need them, we won't need Zina, either.
艾文: 而且若我们不需要他们,我们也就不会需要吉娜了。
语言详解
A: Tom is clever,really.
汤姆真的很聪明。
B: I know. He's practically a genius.
我知道。他算得上是天才。
【be up and running 开始运作】
be up and running 是指开店运作或是一项计划付诸实行。
A: What have you been doing lately?
你最近在忙些什么?
B: Well, I've been trying to get my surf shop up and running. It's a lot of work.
呃,我在忙我那冲浪店开店运作的事宜。很费工的。
be up and running也可指如汽车等机械组件的开始运作,或是电脑程序、整个系统的运作。
A: How is the computer program?
那个电脑程序情况如何?
B: It's up and running, but we need to watch it for a few weeks to make sure everything is OK.
已开始运作,但我们还要观察几个星期以确定没有问题。
1) How...work out? ……进展如何?……表现如何?
2) admit (v.) 承认
3) Filipino (n.) 菲律宾人
4) genius (n.) 天才
5) deadline (n.) 最后期限