Welcome to English in a Minute!
欢迎来到《一分钟英语》栏目!
Be careful when using this idiom: OVER THE HILL
使用这个俗语的时候要注意了:OVER THE HILL
My friend's 40th birthday is this weekend.
我有一个朋友本周末四十岁生日。
As a present, I think I'll get her a funny "Over the Hill" T-shirt I saw at the store this weekend.
作为礼物,我打算送她一件印着 "Over the Hill" 的趣味T恤,周末逛街的时候看到了。
Are you serious?
你是认真的吗?
I don't care how funny it is.
我没觉得这有多好玩。
Nobody wants to think of themselves as over the hill.
因为没有人希望自己在走下坡路。
You're right. I know.
是这样的,我明白。
Instead, I'll get her a "Life Begins at 40th" coffee mug!
我不会这样做,我打算送她其它的礼物,就是一个印有“生命始于四十”的咖啡杯。
Over the Hill means someone or something is old and does not have much value.
Over the Hill指的是,人变老或者东西变旧了,开始走下坡路,不再有价值。
The saying often is used jokingly for someone who is turning 40 years old, because they are at the middle of their life.
人们总是爱拿这句话开玩笑,尤其是在人们迈入40岁的时候,因为他们已经进入中年时期。
It can be a rude thing to say to someone, even a friend!
对别人说这句话很不礼貌,就算是朋友也不该说!
And that's English in a Minute!
以上就是本期的《一分钟英语》。