Jacob: Hey, did you see that the President called on the wealthy countries for financial aid after the floods destroyed much of the country's agriculture?
雅各布:你看总统呼吁富有国家为被洪涝灾害损失的国家提供财政帮助了吗
Pete: Called on? What does that mean?
皮特: call on?什么意思
Jacob: Oh, called on means a lot of things. But in my sentence it means that the president asked for help.
雅各布:哦,call on 有很多意思。但是我的意思是总统要求帮助
Pete: Okay. I never knew that. So what other things does the phrase “call on” mean?
皮特:好吧。我不知道这个。还有别的什么意思呢
Jacob: It can also mean that you are visiting someone. Like in “Since we were in the area, I paid a call on my sister in law”.
雅各布:还有意思是 拜访某人。比如,自从我们来到这个地方以后,我拜访了我的嫂子。
Pete: It means you visited your sister in law?
皮特:意思是 拜访你的嫂子?
Jacob: Yes, that's right.
对。你猜对了
Pete: Can “call on” also mean to ask someone to do something, especially to speak in public? Like in “I now call on the other party to give their account of what happened”.
皮特:call on 还能理解为要求某人做某事吗,尤其在公共场合说。就像 我现在要求去另一个晚会,来看看发生了什么。
Jacob: Yes, that's right. You've got it.
雅各布:对。你猜对了
Call on someone.
叫上某人
Rosie: So what did you do on your weekend?
罗斯:周末过得怎么样
Jill: Nothing much. I was in Beverly Hills, so I called on my best friend Cindy and we hung out.
吉尔:还行吧。我在比利牛斯山过得,所以我叫上我最好的朋友辛迪,我们一起出去了
Rosie: That's great. My friend called on me on Saturday, too.
罗斯:太棒了。周六我的朋友也给我打电话了
Jill: What did you guys do?
吉尔:你们干嘛去了
Rosie: We went to the amusement park.
罗斯:我们去娱乐公园了
Jill: It must've been fun.
吉尔:没有比这更有趣得了
Rosie: Yeah, it was.
罗斯:恩,是
Asking for help.
请求帮助
Robert: Hey, I heard you moved to another house!
罗伯特:我听说你搬家了
Lia: Yeah. I did.
丽萨:恩是的
Robert: Did you do it by yourself?
罗伯特:你自己搬的吗
Lia: No, no. I called on my friends to help me pack my stuff and to move it all to the new place.
丽萨:不死,我叫上我的朋友帮我整理包裹搬到新地方的。
Robert: Oh, that's good. You could've called on me, though.
罗伯特:那挺好。你怎么没叫我呢
Lia: Yeah. I was gonna call on you but then I thought you'd be busy.
丽萨:恩,我打算叫你呢,可我想到你应该会很忙
Robert: No, I wasn't. It's okay; next time you can definitely call on me anytime you need help.
罗伯特:不,没那么忙。还好。下次不管你什么时候都可以叫上我
Lia: Thanks. I hope I won't be moving again soon!
丽萨:谢谢!我再也不会搬家了
Asking someone to do something.
要求某人做某事
Robert: Is your work done?
罗伯特:工作做好的吗
Jill: I thought it was, but they're calling on me to do even more.
吉尔:我希望做好了,但是他们又给了我更多的工作
Robert: Haven't you done enough work for them?
罗伯特:你为他们做的不够多吗
Jill: I've done some, but they're calling on everyone to do more work, not just me.
吉尔:我做了一点,但是他们要求每人再多做点工作,不仅仅是我。
Robert: Oh, that's too bad. But you'll still manage to complete it.
罗伯特:那太不幸了。但是你还得坚持完成它。
Jill: Yes, I will.
吉尔:我会的
Robert: That's fantastic. But next time maybe you could call on Robin or someone else, so that you can work together.
罗伯特:那就好。但是下次你可以叫上罗宾或别人,那样你们可以一起工作
Jill: Okay, that would be a good idea.
吉尔:好主意