Welcome to English in a Minute!
欢迎来到《一分钟英语》栏目!
We eat our dinner on dining tables.
我们在餐桌上吃饭。
We put our coffee on coffee tables. Turn the tables
我们把咖啡放在咖啡桌上。扭转局势
How is your friend Amanda doing?
你朋友阿曼达最近怎么样啊?
Great, now.
现在很好。
What do you mean "now?"
“现在”指的是?
Well, last year a senior colleague tried to get her fired.
去年,一位有资历的同事想开除她。
What happened?
那然后呢?
She turned the tables on him. Now, she's his boss.
她扭转了局势。现在,她是他的上司了。
To "turn the tables" means to reverse a situation to gain an advantage.
“turn the tables”指扭转局面,得到有利条件。
Some say this expression comes from playing board games.
一些人认为,这个表达源于棋类游戏。
Centuries ago, if you were losing a game, you could turn the table or board game to switch your position with your opponent.
几个世纪以前,如果你输掉了一场游戏,你可以将桌子或棋类游戏翻转,以改变你与对手的位置。
And that's English in a Minute!
以上就是今天的《一分钟英语》栏目!