Welcome to English in a minute.
欢迎来到《一分钟英语》栏目!
A bud is a young flower that has not yet opened.
花蕊是指还没开的花。
So what do you think this American idiom means? Nip it in the Bud
你觉得这个美语习语是什么意思?防患于未然
Listen to these friends talking:
让我们听听这对朋友的谈话。
My new neighbor is driving me crazy!
我的新邻居要把我弄疯了!
She keeps coming over to my apartments uninvited. And then she will not leave!
她经常来我的公寓,而我并没有邀请她。而且她还不走。
Oh, you need to nip that in the bud.
噢,你应该防患于未然。
Just tell her to call before coming over. Or just don't answer the door!
告诉她来之前要打个电话。或者直接不开门。
If you nip it in the bud, you stop something from becoming a bigger problem.
当你'nip it in the bud'时,你就会阻止某些事情扩大化。
Nip means to cut. So if you cut a flower while it is still a bud, it cannot grow any bigger.
Nip的意思是折断。如果你折断仍处于花蕊期间的花,这个花就不会再长大。
When you nip something in the bud, you stop it from growing.
当你把某事在初期砍断时,这个事情就不会再发展下去。
And that's English in a minute.
以上就是今天的《一分钟英语》栏目!