25 Winter Surprise
惊喜在冬季
I live in a boarding-house during the school year.
我读书时住在一栋寄宿公寓,
My room is rather large, but I share it with another boarder.
房间颇大,但我得跟另一个寄宿者合住。
It's already November, but the autumn flowers are still in bloom.
已是深秋十一月,但花儿依然盛开。
Just yesterday, I saw some lovely red blossoms along the roadside.
就在昨天,我还在路旁看到了几朵美丽的红花。
These blessed flowers were perfect.
这些赏心悦目的花儿真美,
They didn't have a single blemish.
它们没有一处瑕疵。
Seeing these flowers in the fall created a feeling of bliss.
能在秋天看到这些花儿让我一阵狂喜,
I had no idea that it would be the last I'd see of them.
我并不知道这将是我最后一次看到他们。
Yesterday, my roommate had told me that there would be a blizzard today.
昨天,我的室友告诉我今天会有暴风雪。
He's always boasting that he knows the weather.
他总是吹牛,说自己能预知天气。
I though it was just a bluff to get me to stay home from school.
我想这不过是虚张声势,想让我逃课。
I was rather blunt in my reply.
我的回答相当直言不讳。
However, I blushed when I looked out of the window this morning and saw that he was right.
然而,今天早晨我朝窗外望去,不禁脸红了:他居然说准了。
I had to blink my eyes several times just to be sure.
我使劲眨了几下眼睛,才确信没有弄错。
An overnight storm had bleached the ground with seventeen inches of snow.
一夜的风雪把大地给漂白了,地上的积雪深达17英寸。
Because the roads were blocked by the snowfall, I wouldn't be able to board my usual bus to school.
由于下雪,道路被阻断,我也没法乘班车上学了,
My outlook seemed rather bleak.
前景惨淡。
Then my roommate said, “Hey, you really need to take a break from your studies.
这时我的室友说道:“喂,你真该歇歇了,别老是学习。
Why don't you just rest your brain, blend some fruit drinks, and listen to blues music?”
你干嘛不休息一下大脑、调点果汁、听点蓝调音乐呢?”
“It's true, I'm probably in need of a rest, ” I replied.
“是啊,我也许需要休息一下了。”我回答道。
Well, it turned out to be the most relaxing day I've had all year.
这样,我度过了一年中最放松的一天。
I guess the sudden storm was really a blessing in disguise!
我猜这场突然的暴风雪貌似灾祸,实则是福啊!