The Fossil Fiasco
化石的悲惨下场
“I still can't believe you fractured the oldest fossil in the museum,” Bessie said.
“我还是不相信你弄碎了博物馆里最古老的化石。”贝西说。
“How are you going to explain this to the founder?
“你怎么向创建人解释?
He is an old and frail man. You might give him a heart attack.”
他年纪大,身体脆弱。你可能会让他得心脏病。”
“It's not my fault,” replied Alice.
“这不是我的过错,”爱丽丝回答。
“I think the framework around the fossil was faulty.
“我认为化石周围的那圈架子有问题。
Whoever framed it must be a fraud. Nobody would make it that fragile.
建造它的人肯定是个骗子。没有人会把它做的那么脆弱。
I would bet his credentials are fraudulent too.
我敢打赌他的各项证件也是骗人的。
Besides, I don't think anyone is going to miss one foul smelling fossil, do you?
另外,我认为没有人会怀念一具散发着恶臭的化石,你觉得呢?
Anyway, I only broke off a small fraction of the fossil.”
反正,我只打碎了化石的一小部分。”
“Yes, but that small fraction just happened to be the head,” Bessie laughed.
“没错,但是那一小部分恰好是头部,”贝西笑道。
“Without is, it looks fragmentary. Weren't you aware of its fragility?”
“没有它,化石看上去就不完整了。你没有意识到它的脆弱吗?”
“Yes, but at that moment, I was frantic,” Alice said.
“我意识到了,但那时候,我不顾一切,”爱丽丝说,
“I just needed something solid to stop the fray between those fraternal twins.
“我正好需要一个坚硬的东西阻止双胞胎兄弟之间的冲突。
I was trying to foster peace and cooperation.
我在试图促进和平与合作。
How was I supposed to know that the one twin would break it with his head?”
我怎能料到双胞胎中的一个会用头把他弄碎呢?”
“Let us be frank,” said Bessie.
“让我们坦率一点吧,”贝西说。
“You smashed him over the head with it. Then you picked up the broken fragment and threw it at the other twin. Need I say more?”
“是你手持化石砸向他的头部的。然后,你捡起碎片,往双胞胎中的另一个扔过去。我还需要说下去吗?”
“It all so fast, I really don't remember,” Alice said with a grin.
“一切发生得太快了,我不太记得了。”爱丽丝咧嘴笑着说。
“I guess I better apologize to the founder now.
“我想我最好现在向创建人道歉。
First, I should spray on a little more fragrance.
首先,我得再喷一点香水。
Maybe he won't yell at me if I smell like a flower.”
也许我闻起来像鲜花一样,他就不会朝我大喊大叫了。”
“Trust me,” Bessie giggled.
“相信我,”贝西咯咯地笑道。
“You're fragrant enough to turn him into a fossil.”
“你已经香得足以把他变成化石了。”