Tomato Flakes
番茄碎
When I have extra tomatoes, I put them whole into the food processor,
如果有吃不完的番茄,我会把它们都丢进食品处理机,
along with fresh herbs-- basil, thyme, oregano-- and sometimes peppers.
加入新鲜的草药,如紫苏,百里香,花椒叶,有时也加胡椒。
I process them until they become liquid,
然后把它们加工成液体。
then pour the contents in fairly thin layers onto the fruit-leather sheets that come with my dehydrator.
把液体摊成薄薄的一层,用脱水器烘干。
When the tomato sheets are thoroughly dry,
当番茄薄片完全干燥时,
I crumble them into flakes and put them in a jar.
把它们压碎并放入罐中保存。
These flakes are great in winter when you don't want to buy tasteless, grocery store tomatoes.
如果冬天你不想吃蔬菜店没味儿的温室生长的番茄,就可以指望这些番茄碎了。
You can add the flakes to sandwiches, soups, and salads.
你可以把它们加入三明治,汤和沙拉中。
The flavor is fantastic, and the flakes are instantly available.
味道简直好极了,而且这些番茄碎是即食的。
They also make a great gift because of their lovely color.
其色彩艳丽看起来有食欲,还能用来馈赠他人。
Tomato Ristra
催熟番茄
Around the end of September, I break off clusters of green plum tomatoes
在九月底,我通常摘下大丛在霜降前
that won't have time to ripen before frost.
还未成熟的青番茄,
I hold a piece of strong twine like a noose and drape the tomato clusters over the twine,
把它们拧在套索一样的麻绳上,
starting at the bottom of the noose and working up the sides.
从套索底部开始向两边拧,
Then I tie the ends of the twine together and hang the tomatoes in the kitchen.
再把麻绳底部拧在一起,最后把这些番茄挂在厨房里。
The air circulation allows the tomatoes to ripen slowly, without rotting,
流动的空气能使这些番茄免遭腐烂,慢慢成熟。
so they are ready to eat by Christmas.
圣诞节之前大概就能食用了。
We used to ripen tomatoes this way in Italy, where I was born.
在我的家乡,意大利,人们习惯这样催熟番茄。
These tomatoes don't taste as good as those ripened on the vine,
这样处理过的番茄虽不如藤上自然长熟的好吃,
but they're better than you might think.
但味道起码比你想象的要好。