本段对话选自Drop Dead Diva,《丑女上错身》
Kim:All right, what do you want me to do, Jane?
金:好,你要我怎么做,简?
Jane:I admit you were right.
简:我承认你是对的。
We're not gonna win this based on the law or my feelings.
我们没办法用我的感受或是法律来赢。
Kim:Good. At least we agree on that.
金:很好,我们意见相同。
Jane:But Parker said we have to think outside the box.
简:但帕克说要创新思维。
Kim:Right.
金:没错。
Jane:The designer claimed that he has a contract with the company allowing him to design whatever he wants,
简:设计师说他和公司有合约给他完全的创作自由,
but what if we could show that the contract was counter to the company's best interests?
但是,如果我们证明那合约有违公司最大利益呢?
Kim:I don't think I follow.
我没听懂。
Jane:PDQ is owned by investors.
简:PDQ需要投资人投资。
Management has a responsibility to maximize profits, right?
管理阶层有义务创造最大营收,对吧?
Kim:You want me to argue that their business practices are suboptimal?
金:你要我把论点放在盈利策略不够理想?
Jane:Yeah, why not? We amend our complaint and push on.
简:对啊,试试看,我们可以修改控告,再上诉。
Kim:The plaintiff would like to call a rebuttal witness…
金:原告一方想声请传唤反驳证人…
Warren Gunther, the largest shareholder in PDQ.
沃伦冈瑟,PDQ最大股东。