Well, my sister just had a baby and she keeps talking about how her left arm is getting so much stronger than her right.
我姐姐刚生完孩子,她一直在说她的左臂正变得比右臂更强壮。
OK, so there’s some anecdotal evidence.
好吧,所以有一些轶事证据。
So, then when the baby looks up at their parent, what they see is the left profile.
所以,这样的话,当孩子抬头看他们的父母时,看到的就是左边的侧脸。
Right. And so the theory goes: the left side of the face becomes imprinted in our memories.
没错,所以这个理论说:左边的脸印刻在了我们的记忆中。
But the parental imprinting hypothesis doesn’t explain why left profiles have decreased over time.
但是这个亲本印记假设并没有解释为什么画左侧脸的现象渐渐减少了啊。
I mean, parents are still carrying their babies in their left arm, right?
我的意思是说,现在父母仍然在用他们的左臂抱孩子,对吗?
Exactly! All right, what about the way the artists’ studio is organized, specially the light source.
没错!好了,这跟画家工作室的规划有没有关系呢?特别是光源。
Remember that the light source determines where the shadows are.
别忘了,光源决定了阴影的位置。
So, if you’re a right-handed artists, you’d want to the light coming from your left
所以,如果你是惯用右手的画家,你会想让光线从你的左边过来,
because you don’t want your printing hand to cast a shadow across your canvas, right?
因为你不想让你画画的手在画面上留下阴影,对吧?
And if the light’s coming from your left, you’d want your subject to turn to their right into the light.
那如果光线从你的左边过来,那你就会希望模特转向他们的右边,正对着光线。
And if they do that, what do you see?
如果他们那么做的话,你会看到什么?
The left side of their face.
他们左边的脸。
Exactly, and well into the 20th century, many an artist’s primary light source would be the sun.
正是如此,而且进入20世纪后,很多画家的主光源是太阳光。
And they set up their studio to take maximum advantage of it.
他们把画室布置得能最大限度利用阳光。
But then what happens as other high-quality, portable, artificial light sources become available.
但是接下来随着其他高质量、便携的人工光源出现时,会发生什么?
Well, you could position your subject in a lot more different ways and still have good lighting on your subject and on your canvas.
你可以让模特按照更多不同的方式摆姿势,而且仍有良好的光线照在模特和你的画布上。
So...?
所以......?
You’d expect to see a more balanced ratio of left- and right-side portraits.
就能看到肖像画中左右边的比例更加均衡。