第一,情景对话
A: I was wondering if you could give me a day off.
你能不能给我一天假?
B: What for?
为什?
A: I'll have to rewrite my thesis. That will take much time.
我得重新写论文,那要花很多时间。
B: Stop trying to fool me. I have your number.
别想糊弄我,我清楚你的底细。
第二,词海拾贝
have one’s number
exp. To understand or know someone or something well enough to anticipate what they will do. (心中有数,知道某人的底细)
e.g. Oh, don't worry — I won't let him cheat me. I've had his number.
哦,别担心,我不会让他欺骗我的。我清楚他的底细。
e.g. Oh, don't worry, I've had his number—he's a typical brat.
别担心,我非常了解他,他是个典型的小淘气。
e.g. I have his number. He enjoys less popularity than most other professors.
我知道他的底细,他不如其他的教授那样受欢迎。
第三,语汇积累
take much time:花费很多时间
What for? 为何?为什么?
give someone one day off:给某人一天的请假