第一, 情景对话
A: What's wrong with Jerry? He seemed to have been beaten.
杰瑞怎么啦?他好像挨打啦。
B: You said it. In the morning Tom laid him down.
你说得对,上午汤姆把他打倒在地上。
A: Why?
为什么?
B: Because Tom suspected Jerry stole his watch.
因为汤姆怀疑杰瑞偷了他的手表。
A: What happened then?
后来怎么样啦?
B: Somebody else found Tom's watch under the carpet and Tom had to apologize to Jerry.
有人在地毯下找到了他的手表,他只好向杰瑞道歉。
第二, 词汇拾贝
lay (somebody or something) down
exp. To set or put someone or something down. (放下)
e.g. I just laid the baby down in the bassinette, so try not to make too much noise.
我刚把婴儿放在摇篮里,尽量别弄出太大的噪音。
e.g. Lay those magazines down on the coffee table, please.
请把那些杂志放在咖啡桌上。
e.g. Gentlemen, lay your arms down! There's been a truce.
先生们,放下武器!已经休战了。
第三, 语汇积累
1. under the carpet:掩盖秘密
exp. Kept secret or hidden from view, usually due to one's misfortune or embarrassment.
e.g. We need to sweep this scandal under the carpet as soon as possible.
我们必须尽快把这件丑闻掩盖起来。
e. g. I was so mortified by my mistake that I immediately tried to brush it under the carpet.
我为自己的错误感到如此羞愧,以至于我马上想把它抹得一干二净。
e.g. I wish we could sweep that difficult question under the carpet, but that's impossible.
我希望我们能把那个棘手的问题蒙混过去,但这是办不到的。
2. apologize to:向……道歉
e.g. He had the grace to apologize to me for the insulting remark.
他通情达理地为他侮辱性的言论向我道了歉。
e.g. I really ought to apologize to you for having stood in your light so long.
我早就该向你道歉,我阻碍了你的前程有这么久。
3. be wrong with somebody or sosmething:某人或某物有问题,某人或某物有不对劲的地方
e.g. There was something wrong with the switch and I got a shock.
电门有毛病,电了我一下。
e.g. Something has gone wrong with the car's exhaust system.
汽车的排气系统出了故障。
e.g. I can't quite lay my finger on what's wrong with the engine.
我不能确切地说出引擎的毛病所在。
其它:steel one’s watch:偷手表
someone else:其他人
have to:必须,不得不
in the morning:在早上
under the carpet:在地毯下