Dialogue:
A: What do you plan to do in holidays?
你假期里准备干什么?
B: I 'll have to study.
我要学习。
A: Why?
为什么?
B: I got a very bad school report this term. If I don't pull up my socks. I'll be lagged behind by the class.
我这学期的成绩很差,如果再不努力,就跟不上大家了。
一, 词海拾贝
pull up one’s socks
exp. To make a redoubled effort; to make a sincere attempt to improve. (加倍努力,真心地尝试去提高)
e.g. After that abysmal grade on my midterm exam, I'm going to have to really pull up my socks if I want to pass math this year.
我期中考试的成绩糟透了。要是我今年想在数学考试中过关的话,我可得加倍努力。
e.g. John, if you don't start pulling up your socks, we're going to have to give your job to someone else.
约翰,如果你再不振作起来加紧努力工作,我们就要把你的工作让给别人了。
e.g. If he's hoping to gain promotion he will have to pull his socks up.
他如果希望得到提升,就得再加一把劲。
e.g. His teachers told him to pull his socks up, or he'd undoubtedly fail his exam.
老师要他加把劲儿,不然考试准不及格。
二, 语汇积累
1. lag behind:落后
e.g. If we walk slower than the others we shall lag behind them.
如果我们比其他人走得慢,我们就会落在他们后面。
e.g. She is very strict with herself in her English study and unwilling to lag behind.
她对自己的英语学习要求很严格,不甘人后。
2. school report:学生成绩报告单
e.g. Could you bring your birth certificate and your last school report with you?
你能否把你的出生证以及最近的学校成绩报告单一起带来?
e.g. I got an unfavourable school report this term. ( an unfavourable school report:一份分数不佳的报告单)
我这个学期考试成绩不佳。