Dialogue:
A: My son gets nervous about his final examination.
我儿子非常担心他的期末考试。
B: Why? He is the top student in his class, isn't he?
为什么?难道他不是班上的尖子生吗?
A: Yeah. But he wants to win the first place this term.
是的,但他想赢得第一名。
B: He's full of ambition. You should push him on that.
他真是好有雄心,你应该鼓励他。
一, 词海拾贝
push on
exp. To move or propel someone or something ahead. (使某物前进,激励某人前进,鼓励某人前进)
e.g. He did not want to go in with me, but I pushed him on forward.
他不想和我进去,但我推着他往前走。
e.g. She paused for a moment to rest, and then pushed the baby stroller on.
她停下来休息了一会儿,然后推着婴儿车前进。
e.g. Frost did all he could to push his idle son on.
Frost尽力促使他游手好闲的儿子有所长进。
二, 语汇积累
1. be nervous about:因……紧张
e.g. Don't be nervous about me; I'll worry along somehow.
不要为我担心,我将设法熬过去。
e.g. The poor thing is always so nervous about what you think of her husband.
可怜的事情是:她时刻都在紧张地担心着你对她丈夫的看法。
e.g. I feel nervous about hosting a live programme like this.
主持这样的电视直播节目我觉得非常紧张。
2. top student:尖子生
e.g. Our teacher was a top student when he was at university.
我们的老师在读大学时是尖子生。
e.g. She's the top student at her school.
她在她学校是顶尖级的学生了。
3. win the first place:获得第一名
e.g. Hearing Mary win the first place finally, we all jumped with joy.
听到Mary最后获得了第一名,我们都高兴得跳起来了。
e.g. We were very honored to win first place in the women's team tug-of-war competition.
我们荣获女子拔河团体赛第一名。
4. full of ambition:满怀报负,胸怀大志,野心勃勃
e.g. If we do not know ourselves to be full of pride, ambition, lust, weakness, misery, and injustice, we are indeed blind.
如果我们没有认识自己充满着高傲、野心欲念、脆弱、可悲和不义,那么我们的确是瞎子。
e.g. A native of Suzhou, she was reputedly born to distinguished parents. She is said to be a rare beauty, well-educated and full of ambition.
据传她是苏州人,出身名门且姿色倾城,博览群书且胸怀大志。