Dialogue:
A: Tom came to my home and talked with me the whole night yesterday.
昨天汤姆到我家和我聊了整整一个晚上。
B: What were you talking about?
谈了些什么?
A: Everything under the sun, and he revealed his hand to ask me to help him in the exam at last.
无所不谈,最后他终于表明他的目的,想让我在考试中帮帮他。
B: Did you agree?
你答应了?
A: Of course not.
当然不会。
一, 词海拾贝
reavel one’s hand
exp. To make one's plans, intentions, ideas, or resources known to others. (表明计划,意图,想法等,漏出底牌)
e.g. You should not reveal your hand to a stranger .
对陌生人切忌坦腹相向。
e.g. The negotiations will not make progress as long as they refuse to reveal their hand.
他们要是不肯摊牌,谈判就不会有进展。
e.g. He has been waiting for just such a crisis to reveal his hand.
他一直在等待这么一个决定性时刻来阐明自己的意图。
e.g. Don't reveal your hand too early or else he'll find out what we are really doing here.
别过早表明你的想法,否则他会觉察出我们来这儿做什么事情。
二, 语汇积累
1. everything under the sun:天下万物
e.g. He began to feel that it was impossible to make everything under the sun go just the way one wished. (子夜)
他稍稍感到天下事不能尽如人意了。
e.g. We used to gossip for hours about everything under the sun.
我们过去一聊便是数小时,天底下的事无所不谈。
e.g. I feel like we've tried everything under the sun, but still our daughter refuses to be potty trained.
我觉得我们什么都试过了,但我们的女儿还是拒绝上厕所的训练。
e.g. We were only going to be camping for two nights, but she still insisted on bringing everything under the sun along with us.
我们只打算露营两晚,但她还是坚持要把一切都带上。
2. the whold night:整个晚上
e.g. The battery ran out of its power yesterday and I recharged it the whole night.
昨天电池没电了,我充了一夜电。
e.g. Many times Ben sat up the whole night , reading and studying because he was so eager to learn.
Ben如饥似渴,经常彻夜苦读。
其它:talk about someone or something:谈论某人或某物
talk with someone:和某人谈话
in the exam:在考试的时候
at last :最后