One day, an owl flew persistently towards the east till it was completely exhausted, so it stopped in a forest to take a rest.
一天,猫头鹰一个劲儿地向东方飞去,飞得精疲力尽,停在树林里休息。
It happened that a turtledove was also resting there.
一只斑鸿恰巧也在那里休息。
Hearing the panting of the owl, it asked: "Where are you going in such a hurry?"
听见猫头鹰呼味呼味地喘气,就对猫头鹰说: “你这样急急忙忙地赶路,去哪儿呀?”
The owl said: "I am moving to the east."
猫头鹰说: “我想到东方去住。”
The turtledove asked closely: “Why?”
斑鸡追问: “为什么?”
The owl said: "The people in the west all say my cry is unpleasant and dislike me I cannot stay there any longer.
猫头鹰说:“西边的人,都说我叫的声音很难听,都讨厌我。在那儿我住不下去了。
I must move to a new place."
非换个地方不可!”
The turtledove said: "Can you solve your problem by changing a place?
斑鸿说: “难道换个地方就可以解决问题吗?
In my opinion, no matter where you move to, it won't help."
我看,不管你搬到哪里去,都没有用!”
The owl felt rather angry at the words of the turtledove, but it still asked in surprise: "Can you forecast the future?"
猫头鹰觉得斑坞的话太气人,便惊奇地问: “你能未卜先知?”
The turtledove said: "This is very simple.
斑鸡说:“这很简单。
If you don't change your cry, the people in the east will dislike you all the same."
如果你不改变你的叫声,那么东边的人也一样会讨厌你的!”