90.The Best Counter Attack
90.最好的反击
"I got to get something off my chest,Wilbur!" Marge said, gearing up for a confrontation.
"我得把一件事说出来,威尔伯!"玛吉说,她准备做一些对抗。
"Oh, what's that?" Wiibur said as he took his coffee off the gas stove.
"啊,是什么事?"威尔伯边问边把咖啡从煤气炉上拿下来。
"I don't want you working at that gas station any more!
"我不想让你继续在那个加油站工作了!
You got off on the wrong foot there and they just don't appreciate you because of it!"
你在那里出师不利,正因为这样他们一点儿也不欣赏你!
"I got that all in order, Marge! They like me now! Really!
我已经把一切都摆平了,玛吉!他们现在喜欢我啦,是真的!
Now I got something I want to say as well.
我也有事情要说。
But I hope it won't get me in too much hot water!" Wilbur replied.
但我希望这件事不会使我有太多的麻烦!"威尔伯回答道。
"You've gained some weight lately and I'm a little concerned!"
"你最近有点儿发胖了,我有些担心!"
"Oh, you got that right that you're in hot water now!"
"噢,你说对了,你现在有麻烦了!"
Marge suddenly yelled back as she gathered her skirt together in her hands so that she wouldn't use them to strangle Wilbur.
玛吉突然吼道,她把裙子紧紧抓在手里,不然她会用手去掐威尔伯。
"How can you say that? Look at your own pot belly before you point out mine!"
"你怎么能说我胖呢?说我之前看看你自己那个肥大的肚子吧! "
Wilbur frowned, allowing her to think that she had gained the upper hand.
威尔伯皱起了眉头,让她觉得她占了上风。
"I'm just saying that you shouldn't be putting on weight!
"我是说你不应该增加体重呀!
Neither should I! I'm sorry if that came across wrong!
我也不应该!如果我被理解错了,我向你道歉。
Let's gather up the threads before I go to work and try harder to eat better, okay?"
让我们在我去上班之前言归于好吧!以后尽量吃好一点,好吗?"
With his apology Wilbur gained some ground with Marge and she calmed down.
赔礼道歉之后威尔伯得到了玛吉的原谅,玛吉总算平静下来了。
Whew! He thought. Talking about weight always helped him change the subject.
哇!威尔伯想,只要说到体重总能帮他转移话题。
Nothing else worked as well.
别的什么都没有这么灵。
He had once tried to complain about the effects of genetic engineering on their morning tomatoes.
有一次他曾试着抱怨遗传工程学对他们早上吃的西红柿的影响。
But telling a woman she was getting fat was always enough to make her forget what she was really talking about!
但告诉一个女人她在发胖总是足以让她忘记她真正想说的事情!