116.Another Mode of Transportation
116.另外一种交通工具
"How are you finding your visit to our city, gentlemen?" the lady at the hotel desk asked.
"先生们,到我们城市参观你们感觉怎样?"饭店前台小姐问。
"Oh, fine. We were hoping and praying for a better way to get around town, however.
"不错。不过我们倒是希望有一种更好的办法逛城。
With all the hustle and bustle on the streets we can never hail a taxi!"
街上一片熙熙攘攘, 我们从来都打不着出租车!"
"Why don't you try a horse and cart?" she suggested. "What? Can we ride those?"
"你们为什么不试一试马车呢?"她建议道。"什么?我们能坐马车吗?"
"Sure. And there's no need to hunt for one. I can call from here to order one."
"当然。而且你们没有必要自己去找,我可以从这里叫一辆过来。"
The two men huddled together for a moment and then came back.
两个男人聚在一起商量了一会儿,然后回来了。
"But how much is it? I bet it's quite expensive!" one asked.
"得花多少钱?我想一定很贵!"其中一个问道。
When she answered he said, "Oh that's great.
听到她说的价钱,他说:"那太好了!
We couldn't have hoped for a better price. How come we haven't heard of these before?
我们不可能希望更合适的价格。为什么我们以前没有听说这样的事?"
"Well, some people are hostile towards riding behind a horse. They think it's cruel and unusual punishment.
"是这样的,有些人反对坐在马后面。他们认为这样很残忍,是一种特殊的惩罚。
I even saw one couple huff and puff for hours after seeing one horse pull by!
我甚至见过一对夫妇看到一匹马拉车过去之后愤怒了几个小时!
I almost called the police. I was so worried they would do something rash! It's like they were hungering for a confrontation!"
我差点儿叫了警察。我担心他们会有过激行为!他们像是渴望跟人吵一架!"
"Interesting. Did anything happen?"
"有意思。后来真有事情发生吗?"
"No. But when I told them I was going to call the police they were all hot and bothered towards me for a couple of minutes.
"没有,可是当我告诉他们我准备叫警察的时候,他们对我气势汹汹了好几分钟。
It was scary, almost as scary as a horror movie.
当时的场面太吓人了,几乎和恐怖电影一样吓人。
And I couldn't believe how time drags when there's such tension in the air! But then they calmed down and left!"
我真不能相信气氛紧张时时间怎么就过得那么慢!不过后来他们冷静下来并离开了!"
"I guess you were lucky!" the other gentleman said.
"我想你很幸运!"另外一个说道。
"Yes. Oh, here's your horse and buggy. Have a nice ride!"
"是的。啊,这是你们的马车。祝你们玩得开心!"