152.Make Way for Another Path
152.另辟蹊径
"Oh, I never thought I would make myself into anything after I failed my second make-up exam!"
"唉,我从来都没想第二次补考不及格之后我还能成什么气候!"
Bella said as she walked out of the kitchen into the room.
贝拉从厨房走到房间时说。
"I was sure that it was the end! And it was in a way!
"我确信我完蛋啦!从某种意义上来说我的确是完蛋啦!
All the things that I had mapped out came crashing down; I had no way of making a living,
所有我详细安排的事情最后都失败了,我没有办法挣钱糊口,
no place where people made me welcome, and no material for what was next!" "I had to start over!"
没有地方使我感到受欢迎,没有本钱走下一步路!""我得重新来过!"
"And when I decided to do just that, to make use of every skill I have,
"当我决定重新开始的时候,为了利用我掌握的每一项技能,
I marked down that day as Day one in my new life on my calendar!
我在日历上把那一天记录成我的新生活的第一天!
And now look at me! I own the most acclaimed restaurant in New York,
现在你们看看我!我拥有纽约市最受欢迎的餐馆,
I make a living that I never dreamed possible and I managed it all without a law degree!"
我做梦也没想过我会挣这么多钱,没有法律文凭我照样打理着一切!"
"So don't think your life will ever be as marked out as you think!
"所以别以为你的生活会永远像你想像的那样注定不变。
Make way for other possibilities, other paths, other adventures!"
要勇往直前争取其他可能性,寻找其他途径,做其他的冒险!"
Bella continued to her guests, all former classmates who were now lawyers.
贝拉继续向客人们说道, 他们都是她原来的同学,现在都是律师。
"Well, we've all made way with what we thought was best." one of the lawyers finally added.
"是的,我们都用我们自认为最好的方式向前走。"一位律师最后补充道。
"But you were obviously matched for business more than we are.
"可是你明显比我们更加适合做生意。
And for that I'm sincerely jealous! I have to deal with bosses and clients. But you are your own boss!"
就因为这一点,我真的很妒忌你!我既要把老板们搞定,还得把客户们搞定。而你是你自己的老板!"
"And I discovered that I love making it with my own two hands!"
"而且我发现我喜欢用自己的双手获得成功!"
Bella answered "I'm just glad we're all still friends."
贝拉回答说。"我很高兴大家仍然是朋友。"
"So are we!" The lawyers all answered as they began to eat their meals.
"我们也一样!"律师们齐声说,他们开始吃饭了。
"And I know who to call when I need legal help." Bella said with a smile.
"我知道需要法律援助的时候我该找谁了。"贝拉笑着说。