186.The Ex-con, Pt. 3
186.有前科者(3)
"You're riding high, Butch," Tammy the librarian said.
“你获得了很大的成功,布奇。”图书管理员塔米说。
"But don't rest on your oars, you have even more work to do now!"
“可是别歇气哦,你现在的工作更多了!”
"Thanks Tammy,"Butch said. "The key to my success is that I am now rich in friends.
“谢谢你,塔米。”布奇说。“我成功的关键在于我有很多朋友。
That's why I invited you all here tonight! But don't worry; I won't rest on my laurels!
这就是我今天晚上把大家请到这里的原因!不过别担心,我不会满足于既得荣誉!
I'll be returning to the fold tomorrow morning, so you keep that desk open for me!"
明天早上我就回老地方,所以你要把那张桌子给我留着!”
They all laughed. "Say Butch," Lou said privately when the others were talking.
大家都笑了。“我说布奇,”趁大家都在交谈,罗悄悄问道,
"I meant to ask you if you were really retired from your previous life.
“我一直想问你是否真的脱离了原来的生活。
I mean, I don't want to reveal my hand, but I think I could use a guy like you on a job I'm planning."
我是说,我不想摊牌,可我认为我可以用一个你这样的人做一件我正计划着的事情。”
Butch's heart stopped cold. "Lou, you're riding for a fall if you want to do something criminal.
布奇的心突然一紧。“罗,如果你想干坏事,你就是自找麻烦。
It won't result in anything good! And I won't have anything to do with it!
不会有好结果的!我不会惹火上身的。
Don't ever talk to me about anything like that again!"
别再跟我说这样的事了!”
"Whoa, whoa," Lou said, "don't revolt against me, buddy. There's no rhyme or reason to get upset here!
“好啦,好啦,”罗说,“别反感,朋友。没有道理在这里生气!
I didn't know you were so sensitive about it!
我不知道你对这事这么敏感!
I just thought that with all the knowledge you must have gained as a result from your time in prison, you could help me out a bit!"
我只是想你一定因为蹲监狱而学了不少知识,可以帮我干点事呢!”
Butch stood up and said, "Please restrict your conversations to school topics from now on, Lou. Or I won't be calling you my friend anymore!"
布奇起身说道:“从现在起请你将谈话内容限定在学校范围内,罗。不然我就不认你这个朋友了!”
"Thanks for returning a compliment with scorn, Butch. Fine!
“谢谢你用拒绝回敬我对你的称赞,布奇。好!
All of my hopes don't just rest with you! I'll leave you out of it!" "Good!" Butch said.
我办事并不是完全取决于你!我不会求你的!”“太好啦!”布奇说。