1. allow sb. to do sth. 允许某人做某事
My father allowed me to go out for a walk after finishing my homework.
爸爸允许我完成作业后散步。
Present conditions allow us to do so.
我们现在有条件这样做。
情景对话:
A:Why are you so upset? 你怎么这么不安?
B: My boss doesn't allow me to use the telephone. 老板不许我使用电话。
2. think ahead 事先考虑,预见
Suppose we think further ahead, say, 20 years.What problems may be encountered then, and what may happen?
如果再想远一点,二十年后,还可能遇到什么问题,会不会发生什么事情啊?
情景对话:
A: I'd like to chase that girl. 我想追求那个女孩。
B: Hi, guy, think ahead before making decision, it's not so easy to win her heart. 嗨,伙计,三思而行啊,想赢得她的欢心可不是那么容易的事儿。
3. out of fear 由于恐惧
Let us never negotiate out of fear.
让我们永不因畏惧而谈判。
But people make that recommendation primarily out of fear.
但人们作出这种建议基本上仍是出于恐惧。
情景对话:
A: What happened? 怎么了?
B: She squeaked out a cry of fear out of fear. 她害怕,所以大叫。
4. if not for 若非,要不是,如果没有
She would not have escaped the danger, if not for my help.
要不是我帮忙,她就逃不过那一险。
If it were not for losses, all would go well.
如果不是损失的话,一切就好了。
情景对话:
A: Tom is so nice to you. 汤姆对你真好。
B: Yeah, if not for me, he would be still tortured by his paper. 是啊,要不是我,他还在为论文发愁呢。
5. teach sb. to do sth. 教会某人做某事
My father teach me to smile all the time.
我的爸爸教我要常常微笑。
My mum teach me to wash dishes.
我的妈妈教我洗碗.
情景对话:
A: What did you learn from her? 你从她那儿学会了什么?
B: She taught me to respect every body. 她教会我要尊重每一个人。