词汇精讲:
1.situation
Exp. (fml 文) paid job 有酬劳的工作; 职业
Eg. situations vacant/situations wanted 招聘求职
Eg. You will have to find a situation because I cannot support our family at my expense.
你必须要去找份工作了,我的开支不能支撑这个家庭了。
2.wonder
Exp. ask oneself 自问;自忖
Eg. I wonder who he is.
我不知道他究竟是谁。
Eg. I wonder whether they will arrive on time.
我也不知道他们能不能准时到。
Eg. I wonder how he could manage to possess himself of that secret.
不知道他是怎样把那个秘密弄到手的。
Eg. I do wonder if any of us will ever get our wishes.
我真不知道咱们中间是不是有人会如愿以偿呢?
Eg. I wonder if he is a spy.
我不知道他是不是密探。
3.find
Usage: ~ sth/sb (for sb)
Exp. discover sth/sb by searching, inquiry or effort (经寻找﹑ 询问或努力)发现某事物某人
Eg. Can you find me a hotel/find a hotel for me?
你能给我找一家旅馆吗?
Eg. Have you found an answer to this question?
你们找到问题的答案了吗?
4.delay
Usage: delay doing sth
Exp. put (sth) off until later; postpone 推迟(某事);延期
Eg. We must delay our journey until the weather improves.
我们必须把旅行推迟, 等天气好转再说。
Eg. Why have they delayed opening the school?
他们为什么延期开学?
5.lowly
Exp. (dated 旧) of humble rank or condition 地位低的;卑微的
Eg. He had a lowly heart.
他有谦逊的心。
Eg. The saint had a lowly heart.
圣人有谦诚之心。
6.scorn
Usage: scorn doing sth
Exp. (fml 文) reject (sth one is too proud to do) 不屑做(某事)
Eg. He is always scorning to ask for help.
他总是不屑于求助。
Eg. He scorns telling lies.
他鄙夷说谎的行为。
6.intend
Usage: ~ sth (as sth)
Exp. have (a particular purpose or plan) in mind; mean 打算; 意欲; 想要
Eg. I meant it to be an informal discussion, but it didn't turn out as I intended it should.
我本想随便商量一下, 结果事与愿违。
Eg. It's not what I intended it to be.
那并不是我的本意。
Eg. I hear they intend to marry/intend marrying.
听说他们要结婚了。
Eg. I don't intend to listen to this rubbish any longer!
我再也不想听这种无稽之谈了!
Eg. I intended it as a joke.
我不过说笑罢了。
Eg. He intends you no harm, ie does not plan to harm you.
他对你并无恶。
7.comprehend
Exp. understand (sth) fully 全面理解﹑ 了解﹑ 领会(某事物)
Eg. He failed to comprehend the full seriousness of the situation.
他未能充分理解形势的严重性。
Eg. I cannot comprehend how you could have been so stupid.
我真不明白你怎么那么蠢。
Eg. I cannot comprehend this phrase.
我无法理解这个片语。
8.accomplishment
Exp. skill that can be learnt, esp in the social arts 才艺, 技艺, 教养(尤指在社交方面)
Eg. Dancing and singing were among her many accomplishments.
她多才多艺,能歌善舞。
9.fear
Exp. be afraid of (sb/sth) 害怕(某人某事物); 惧怕
Eg. Everyone fears death.
每个人都怕死。
Eg. The plague was greatly feared in the Middle Ages.
中世纪时这种瘟疫十分可怕。
10.cottage小屋,村舍
Exp. small simple house, esp in the country 简陋的小屋; (尤指)村舍
Eg. It is a farm labourers' cottage.
农场雇工的小屋。
11.benefactor恩人, 捐助者, 赠送者
12.schoolmistress女教师;女校长
13.parish教区, 教区的全体居民
短语提炼:
1. do with:对待,处理
2. shan't:shall not
3. some time ago:前些日子
4. take over:接手,接管
5. open a school for girls:看办一所女子学校
6. a village school:一所乡村学校
7. fine accomplishments:出色的才艺
8. hear of:打听,听说
9. delaye doing sth:延误做某事
10. lowly work:卑微的工作
11. find sb a situation:为某人找到一份工作
12. pay for:付给,给予
13. receive 15:得到15元
重点短语精讲:
1.do with
Eg. He has to do with all sorts of people.
他得和各种各样的人打交道。
Eg. What do you do with those other eight hours.
你怎么渡过另外八小时.
Eg. What am I supposed to do with the documents?
我该怎么处理这文件?
2.some time ago
Eg. He swore to having seen that movie some time ago.
他说他不久前肯定看过那部电影。
Eg. I was quite busy some time ago.
前些日子我好忙了一阵子。
Eg. Short skirts went out some time ago, but they've come back again.
短裙在若干时候以前已经过时,但最近又时兴起来。
Eg. Can't you see they broke up some time ago?
你看不出他们不久前已吹了吗?
3.take over
Eg. Robert tried to take over the business for his wife's sake.
为了他妻子的缘故,罗伯特设法接管业务。
Eg. Lao Wang was sent to the hospital;had to take over his work.
老王住院了,我得接替他的工作。
Eg. Professional made dancers began to take over the "noble" of leading roles in ballet.
职业男演员开始担任芭蕾中为"贵族"的主要角色。
Eg. He take over from his predecessor last May.
去年5月他接替了他的前任。
3. hear of
Eg. How come you to hear of it?
你怎么知道的?
Eg. I was shocked to hear of his poor death.
听到他惨遭不幸的噩耗, 我十分震惊。
Eg. We grieved to hear of your loss.
听到你蒙受损失,我们感到痛心。
Eg. I am very much surprised to hear of his failure.
我听到他失败的事感到吃惊。
初级口语句型:
Sb wonders if + 从句
不知道知道是否.......
Eg. I wonder if she has returned yet.
我不知道她是否已经回来了。
Eg. I wonder if this picture can be restored.
我很想知道这幅画能否修复。