I've often observed to Lady Catherine
我经常跟凯萨琳夫人说
that her daughter seemed born to be a duchess,
她女儿天生是公爵夫人的命
for she has all the superior graces of elevated rank.
她流露出名门千金的高贵气派
These are the kind of little delicate compliments
这种好话
which are always acceptable to the ladies
总是能博得她的欢心
and which I conceive myself particularly bound to pay.
我认为这也是我应该说的话
How happy for you, Mr Collins,
我真是为你高兴
to possess the talent for flattering with such delicacy.
你拥有这种奉承讨好的天份
Do these pleasing attentions proceed from
你这种讨好的话都是
the impulse of the moment
即兴发挥
or are they the result of previous study?
还是事先打过草稿呢?
They arise chiefly from what is passing at the time,
大部份都是随机应变
and though I do sometimes amuse myself
有时候也会事先
with arranging such little elegant compliments,
打个草稿
I always wish to give them as unstudied an air as possible.
不过说的时候尽量自然流露
Believe me, no one would suspect your manners to be rehearsed.
相信我,没有人会怀疑 你会撒谎不打草稿
LYDIA LAUGHS
丽迪亚笑
COUGHING
咳嗽
After dinner I thought I might read to you all for an hour or two.
饭后我想为大家朗读一、两小时
I have with me Fordyce's Sermons
我带了福代斯的《讲道集》
which speak very eloquently on all matters moral.
他对道德方面有很精辟的见解
Are you familiar with Fordyce's Sermons, Miss Bennet?
你熟悉福代斯的讲道吗?