So when I look at my own life, you know, I have to admit, right? that I...
所以当我审视我的人生,我必须得承认,我发现...
I've never been around a bunch of guns or violence, you know, not really. No political intrigue or a helicopter crash, right?
我从来没有经历过枪林弹雨或是暴力事件,起码没真正体验过。没有什么政治阴谋,也没什么直升机失事。
But my life, from my own point of view, has been full of drama, right?
但是我的人生,从我个人观点来看,仍然是富有戏剧性的。
And so I thought, if I could write a book that could capture what it's like to really meet somebody.
于是我想也许我也能写本书,记录下我见到某人时的感觉。
I mean, the most exciting things that's ever happened to me is really to meet somebody, make that connection.
我是说,我经历过的最刺激的事情,就是真正遇见某个人,让两个人心灵相通。
And if I could make that valuable, you know, to capture that. That would be the attempt, or...
而如果我能为那次相遇赋予价值,抓住那一刻的感觉。那就是我的写作意图了,或者...
Did I answer your question?
你满意我的回答吗?
I'll try to be more specific. Were there ever a French young woman on a train you met and spent an evening with?
我试着说的更具体些吧,真的有那个人吗,你在火车上遇见并共度良宵的年轻法国女郎?
See, to me, that...I mean that's not important, you know?
这个,对我来说...我是说... 这并不重要,你懂吗?
So that's a yes?
就是说的确有了?
All right, since I'm in France and this is the last stop of my book tour, yes. -Thank you.
好吧,既然我人在法国,这又是我签名售书的最后一站,那就算有吧。-谢谢。
Mr. Wallace, the book ends on an ambiguous note.
华莱士先生,这本书的结尾给我们留下了悬念。
We don't know. Do you think they get back together in six months Iike they promise each other?
我们不知道。你认为他们六个月之后会重聚吗?就像他们彼此承诺的那样?
Like they promised? Well, I think how you answer that, you know, is...It's a good test, right? if you're a romantic or a cynic.
像他们保证的?我认为这个问题实际上是个...是个很好的测试,对吧?看看你到底是喜欢浪漫还是对它嗤之以鼻。
Right? I mean, you think they get back together, right? You don't, for sure. -No.
我是说,你认为他们会重聚的,对吧?显然你并不这么认为。-是的。
And you hope they do, but, you know, you're not sure. That's why you're asking the question.
还是你希望他们会,不过你无法肯定。所以你才问这个问题。
Do you think they get back together? I mean, did you in real life?
你认为他们会重聚吗?我是说你们重聚了吗,在现实生活中?
Did I in real...? Look, in the words of my grandfather, okay:
我在现实生活中...?要用我祖父的话来说啊:
"To answer that would take the piss out of the whole thing."
“说得太明白这事儿就没意思了。”