So...How long were you in Vienna, then? -Just a couple days.
那么... 你在维也纳待了多久?-就几天。
Did you meet another girl?
你碰到其他女孩了吗?
Ah. Yeah, her name was Gretchen and she was amazing. -You did?
啊,是啊,她叫格蕾岑,她棒极了。-你真遇见了?
Yeah! The book's really a composite of the two of you. -Really?
是啊,事实上,那书是写你们两个的。-真的?
Oh, no. -No, I'm kidding. I know. You wouldn't believe I even went back to the train station.
哦不。-没这回事,我只是开玩笑!你不会相信,我甚至还回到火车站。
I put up, you know, signs of my number in the hotel in case you'd been delayed. I was a total dork.
我支了个牌子,写了我旅馆的电话号码,以免你来晚了找不到。我真是个笨蛋。
Let's go this way. Did you get any calls?
我们这边走,有人打电话给你吗?
Just a couple hookers looking for a gig. No, it was awful, I mean, what do you want me to say?
有几个妓女打电话找嫖客。哦,那真是糟,我是说,你指望让我说什么呢?
Ah! It's so sad. I'm so sorry.
哦,太让人伤心了,我真抱歉。
I walked around for a couple days. Eventually, I flew home.
我就那么转悠了几天,最后,就飞回去了。
I owed my dad 2000 bucks who had warned me about French chicks, I have to say.
不得不说一句。我还欠了我爸2000块,他之前警告我不要碰法国鸡。
What did he tell you about French women?
他怎么对你形容法国女人的?
Nothing, the guy...He's never met any French women. He's never been east of the Mississippi. -Okay.
没什么,他...他从来没有遇见过法国女人。他从来没有去过比密西西比河更东的地方。-好吧。
So why didn't you put "Six months later, the French bitch didn't show up"? You know, like...-No, but I did, I did.
那你干嘛不加上一句,“六个月过去了,那个法国婊子还是没出现”?就像...-不,我写了,我之前真的写过。
You did? No. -Yeah. No. I mean, I made it more hopeful.
你真的写过?不会吧。-是的。不对,我是说,我让小说更加给人以希望。
I mean I wrote this whole fictional version in which you actually do show up.
我曾经写过一个整个虚构的版本,写你真的出现了。
Oh, what happens? - Well...um...-What?
哦,你怎么写的?-那个...呃...-怎么了?
Uh. We make love for about 10 days straight, that's one part of it. -Oh, that's interesting. So the French slut, right? Yeah, ok ok. -Yeah, yeah, exactly.
呃,我们做爱做了整整十天,这还没完。-哦,真有意思,一个法国荡妇,对吗?行吧。-对对,的确是。
It's just then they, you know, they start to know each other better and they realize they don't get along at all.
从那以后,他们开始更加了解对方然后他们意识到彼此并不合适。
I like that. It's more real. -Yeah, well. My editor didn't think that way.
我喜欢那个版本,它更真实。-是啊,不过我的编辑可不这么想。
No. Everyone wants to believe in love. It sells, right? -Yeah, exactly, so...
是啊。谁都想相信爱情,为了畅销嘛,对吧?-是啊,就是如此,所以...
So things are going well for you, right? I mean. Your book is a bestseller in the U.S...
就是说你一切都好,对吧?我是说,你的书是美国畅销书...
It's a tiny bestseller, you know, and...-Oh, come on. - All right. Officially, yes.
只是本小小的畅销书。你知道...-哦,别谦虚啦。-好吧,没错,理论上说,是的。
But I mean all those people haven't read Moby Dick, you know. So why should they read my book?
可大多数人连莫比·迪克的书都没读过,又怎么会来读我的?
I haven't read Moby Dick and I liked your book, so...
我也没读过莫比·迪克的书,可是我就喜欢你的书,所以...
Thanks. I know...- Even though I thought you idealized the night of it.
谢谢。我明白...-即使...我觉得你把那一晚描绘得太完美了。
Aw! Come on, it's officially a fiction, right? I mean I'm supposed to...-No, no, I know, I know, I know.
哦,我说,这可是小说,对吗?我本来就得... -不不,我知道,我知道。
I know. I thought, you know, there were times where you made me...Well, I mean, her, right? No, me. Okay, whatever. A little bit neurotic.
我知道,我觉得书里有几处,你让我看起来...呃,我是说她,对吗?不,还是我。算啦,管她是谁。总之有点神经质。
You are a little bit like that, aren't you?
你确实有点啊,不是吗?
You think I'm neurotic?
你认为我神经质?
No, no, no. Come on, I'm kidding. Where did I do that? I didn't do that.
没有,这是个玩笑而已。我哪那么写了,我才没有呢。
Oh, maybe it's just me, you know...
可能只是我这样吧,你知道的...
Reading something, knowing the character in the story is based on you, it's both flattering and disturbing at the same time.
读到一个故事,知道故事中的人物是以自己为原型的,这既让人受宠若惊,也让人心神不宁。
How is it disturbing?
怎么会让人心神不宁的?
I don't know. Just being part of someone else's memory. Seeing myself through your eyes. How long did it take you to write it?
我不知道,只是成为他人记忆中的一部分。透过你的眼看到我自己。这本书你写了多久?
Um, uh...Three or four years, on and off.
嗯,三四年吧,时断时续的。
Wow, that's a really long time to be writing about one night.
哇,你花了那么长时间去写一个晚上发生的事情。
Yeah, I know. Tell you about it.
是啊,我知道,你说的没错。