场景1
Joe: Kathleen Kelly, hello. This is a coincidence. Would you mind if I sat down?
乔:凯瑟琳·凯丽,你好,真是太巧了,我坐一下可以吗?
Kathleen: Yes, yes, I would. Actually I'm expecting someone. Thanks.
凯瑟琳:不可以,真的不可以,其实我在等人,谢谢。
Joe: Pride and Prejudice.
乔:《傲慢与偏见》。
Kathleen: Do you mind?
凯瑟琳:不可以吗?
Joe: I bet you read that book every year. I bet you just love that Mr.Darcy and your sentimental heart just beats wildly at the thought that he and, well, you know whatever her name is, are truly honestly going to end up together.
乔:我敢说这本书你每年都要读,我敢说你一定爱上了那位达西先生,你善感的心灵一想起他就狂跳不已,还有,那个你知道叫什么名字的她,最终和他真诚地走到了一起。
Waiter: Can I get you something?
侍者:你要点什么吗?
Kathleen: No, no, he's not staying.
凯瑟琳:不,不,他马上走。
Joe: Mochachino, decaf, non-fat.
乔:摩卡咖啡,无咖啡因,脱脂。
Kathleen: No, you are not staying.
凯瑟琳:不,你不能呆在这儿。
Joe: I'll iust stay here until your friend gets here. Gee, is he late?
乔:你朋友来了我就走。哦,天哪,他迟到了。
Kathleen: The heroine of Pride and Prejudice is Elizabeth Bennet. She is one of the greatest and most complex characters ever written, not that you would know.
凯瑟琳:《傲慢与偏见》的女主人翁是伊丽莎白·贝纳特,她是小说作品中最伟大、最复杂的角色之一,你不会知道的。
Joe: As a matter of fact, I've read it.
乔:事实上我已经拜读过了。
Kathleen: Oh, well, good for you.
凯瑟琳:噢,是吗,那恭喜了。
Joe: I think you'll discover a lot of things if you ready knew me.
乔:我想如果你真的了解我,你会发现很多很多东西。
Kathleen: If I really knew you, I know that I would find instead of a brain, a cash register, instead of a heart, a bottom fine.
凯瑟琳:如果我真的了解你,我知道我会发现你不是一个有头脑的人,而是一台收银机,毫无爱心,残酷无情。
Joe: What?
乔:什么?
Kathleen: I just had a breakthrough.
凯瑟琳:我刚刚有了一点长进。
Joe: What is it?
乔:什么长进?
Kathleen: I have you to thank for it, for the first time in my life. when confronted with a horrible, insensitive person I knew exactly what I wanted to say and I said it.
凯瑟琳:这要感谢你,在我人生中第一次当面面对一个恐怖、冷漠的家伙时,我确切知道自己想说什么,并且说了出来。
Joe: Well, I think you have a gift for it. It was a perfect blend of poetry and meanness.
乔:噢,我认为你有这方面的天赋。刚才真是诗意加刻薄啊。
Kathleen: Meanness, let me tell you something about meanness...
凯瑟琳:刻薄,我来告诉你什么叫刻薄……
Joe: Don't misunderstand me. I'm just trying to pay you a compliment.
乔:别误会我的意思,我只是想夸夸你。
Kathleen: Oh, oh, why are you touching that? What are you doing?
凯瑟琳:噢,哦,你动它干嘛?你想干什么?
Joe: Is this a red rose? No, You know it's a crimson rose. Something you read about in a book, no doubt.
乔:这是一朵红色的玫瑰吗?不,你知道这是一朵深红色的玫瑰。一定是哪本书里读到的东西。
Kathleen: It's funny to you, isn't it? Everything is a joke to you. Please leave. Please, please leave, I beg you. Thank you.
凯瑟琳:你觉得可笑是吗?对于你一切都是开玩笑。你走吧,走吧,真的。我求求你了……谢谢。