Here's the problem with teleportation.
我给你讲讲隐形传物的问题吧。
Lay it on me.
折磨我吧。
Assuming a device could be invented which would identify the quantum state of matter of an individual in one location
假设可以发明一种仪器,在一个地方把一个个体的量子态识别确认后,
and transmit that pattern to a distant location for reassembly,
把排列模式传送到另一地方重新组装,
you would not have actually transported the individual.
你实际上并没真把该个体传送走。
You would have destroyed him in one location and recreated him in another.
而是在一个地方将他摧毁,再在另一个地方重新做出一个他。
How about that.
那又如何?
Personally, I would never use a transporter,
我本人永远不会使用传送机,
because the original Sheldon would have to be disintegrated in order to create a new Sheldon.
因为原来的谢尔顿必须被分解才能再做出一个新的谢尔顿。
Would the new Sheldon be in any way an improvement on the old Sheldon?
那新的谢尔顿比旧的有什么改进吗?
No, he would be exactly the same.
没有,他们完全一模一样。
That is a problem.
那才是问题所在。
So you see it too.
这么说你也明白了。
Dr. Hofstadter. Dr. Cooper. Dr. Gablehauser.
豪夫斯塔特博士,库珀博士。盖伯豪森博士。
Gentlemen, I'd like you to meet Dennis Kim.
先生们,给你们介绍下,这是丹尼斯·金。
Dennis is a highly sought-after doctoral candidate, and we're hoping to have him do his graduate work here.
丹尼斯是个抢手的博士生候选人,我们希望他在我校进行他的研究工作。
Graduate work. Very impressive. And he's only 15 years old.
研究工作。佩服佩服。而且他才只有15岁。
Not bad. I, myself, started graduate school at 14.
不错啊,我本人是14岁读的研究生院。
Well, I lost a year while my family was tunneling out of North Korea.
当我家人在挖地道逃出朝鲜时我浪费了一年的时间。
Advantage Kim. I thought maybe you boys could show Dennis around.
金领先。我希望你们能带金四处参观一下,
Let him see why we're the best physics research facility in the country.
让他看看咱们为什么是全国最好的物理研究机构。
I already know you're not.
我已经知道你们不是了。
You don't have an Open Science Grid computer or a free electron laser,
你们没OSG计算机或自由电子激光器,
and the string theory research being done here is nothing but a dead end.
还有你们这的弦论研究已经走进死胡同了。
Excuse me, that is my research, and it is by no means a dead end.
等等,那是我的研究,而且绝没有走进死巷。
Well, obviously you don't see it yet, but trust me, you will.
你现在显然还没意识到这点,不过相信我,你会的。
Dennis, we've discussed this.
丹尼斯,我们讨论过这问题了。
We're in the process of updating our equipment, and we welcome your input on our research goals,
我们正在更新仪器设备,我们欢迎你加入我们一起研究,
and we've agreed to look the other way if you want to use up to 20% of the grant money you attract to smuggle your grandfather out of Pyongyang.
而且如果你打算把你吸引来的研究资金的20%用于把你爷爷偷运出平壤,我们会睁只眼闭只眼。
We want him here, boys. Make it happen.
我们想要他留下孩子们,靠你们了。
Yes, sir. You can count on us. We're on it. What the hell do you mean, "dead end"?
遵命,我们会不负所托的,交给我们好了。你小子什么意思,什么叫“死胡同”?
I mean, the whole landscape of false vacuums in string theory could be as large as ten to the five hundredth power.
我是说弦理论中整个虚拟真空的空间可能相当于10的500次幂的能量,
In addition... Ooh, look, chocolate milk.
另外……喔,瞧啊,巧克力牛奶。
I sense a disturbance in the Force.
我感到原力受到干扰。
A bad feeling I have about this.
我有不好的预感。
So Dennis, how long have you been America?
丹尼斯你来美国多久了?
A year and a half.
一年半。
No kidding. You speak English really well. So do you.
说真的,你的英语说得不错。你的也不错。
Except for your tendency to end sentences with prepositions.
除了你总喜欢用介词结束句子。
What are you talking about? That.
你这话什么意思?就像这样。
He's not wrong. All right... And this is my office.
他没讲错。好了,这是我的办公室。
Is this part of the tour? Nope. Good-bye.
这也是要参观的地方吗?不是,再见。
Come on, Sheldon, we've hardly shown him anything. All right.
得了谢尔顿,咱们还哪儿都没去过呢。好吧,
This is my desk. These are my books, this is my door. Please close it behind you. Good-bye.
这是我的书桌那些是我的书那是我的房门,出去时请随手关门再见。
Looks like you're doing work in quantum loop corrections. Keen observation. Good-bye.
看来你在做量子回路校正方面的研究。观察力很敏锐。再见。
You see where you went wrong, don't you?
你看出来自己哪里错了吧?
Leonard? Yeah? Get him out.
兰纳德。在。带他出去。
Come on, Dennis. I'll show you the rec center. They've got Nautilus equipment.
走吧,丹尼斯,我带你去文体中心,那儿有健身器械。
Do I look like I lift weights? Not heavy ones.
你觉得我像喜欢举重的吗?不是举很重的。
It's startling to me you haven't considered a Lorentz invariant or field theory approach.
我很吃惊你尚未考虑到从洛仑兹不变量或场理论方面入手。
You think I haven't considered it? You really think I haven't considered it?
你以为我没有考虑过?你真以为我没有考虑过?
Have you considered it?
你考虑过吗?
Get him out, Leonard. Come on, Dennis. I'll show you the radiation lab.
带他出去兰纳德。走吧,丹尼斯,我带你去放射实验室。
Wow, you won the Stevenson Award?
哇,你得过史蒂文森奖。
Yes. In fact, I am the youngest person ever to win it.
的确。事实上我是最年轻的得奖者。
Really? How old? Fourteen and a half.
是吗?有多年轻?14岁半。
Hm, you were the youngest person ever to win it.
你曾经是最年轻的得奖者。
It's like looking into an obnoxious little mirror, isn't it?
这小镜子照得挺烦人吧?
This is really delicious, isn't it?
这个真好吃,是不是?
Still can't talk to me unless you're drunk, huh? Oh, sweetie, you are so damaged.
没喝醉酒还是不能跟我说话吗?哦,宝贝,你真可怜。
Hey, I'm damaged, too. How about a hug for Howie?
嗨,我也挺可怜的,也抱抱霍华德怎么样?
Sure. Raj, hug Howard.
行啊,Raj抱一下霍华德。
Something you'd like to share? A tale of woe, perhaps?
有什么要跟我们分享吗?也许是一个悲剧故事?
Fifteen years old. Dennis Kim is 15 years old, and he's already correcting my work.
15岁。丹尼斯·金才15岁却已经在修正我的工作,
Today, I went from being Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, to... you know, that other guy. Antonio Salieri?
今天我从沃尔夫冈?阿玛多伊斯?莫扎特沦落成了……你知道,就是那家伙。安东尼奥·萨利埃雷?
Oh God, now even you're smarter than me.
天啊,现在连你也比我聪明。
You know, Sheldon, you don't have so many friends that you can afford to start insulting them.
我说谢尔顿,你并没有那么多朋友能让你随意侮辱。
Just eat, Sheldon, you'll feel better. Why waste food?
吃点东西吧,谢尔顿,吃完你就会感觉好一点。干吗还浪费食物?
In Texas, when a cow goes dry, they don't keep feeding it, they just take her out and shoot her between the eyes.
在德克萨斯,要是奶牛不产奶了,他们才不会继续喂它,他们会把它带出去照着额头来一枪。
I'm confused. Did Sheldon stop giving milk?
我给弄糊涂了,谢尔顿不产奶了?
You can't let this kid get to you.
你不要让这个小孩子影响你,
You always knew that someday someone would come along who was younger and smarter.
你知道总有一天会有人比你年轻比你聪明。
Yes, but I assumed I would've been dead hundreds of years and that there'd be an asterisk by his name because he'd be a cyborg.
是,可我认为那时我已死了几百年了,而且他的名字后面还跟着*号,注释着他是个半机械人。
So you've got a little competition. I really don't see what the big deal is.
好吧,你面临一点儿竞争,我不明白这有什么大不了的。
Well, of course you don't. You've never excelled at anything.
你当然不会明白,你在任何方面从没优秀过。
I don't understand, exactly how did he get any friends in the first place? We liked Leonard.
我不明白,他最初是怎么交到朋友的?我们喜欢兰纳德。
Well, what are you gonna do, Sheldon, just give up?
那你打算怎么办谢尔顿,就这样放弃吗?
Yes. It's what a rational person does when his entire life's work is invalidated by a postpubescent Asian wunderkind.
对。理智的人当认识到他毕生的心血被一个乳臭未干的亚洲神童证明无效时就会这么做。
He ceases his fruitless efforts, he donates his body to scientific research, and he waits to die.
他不会再作无谓的努力,他把自己的身体捐给科学研究,然后等死。
You know, I'm confused again. Is he waiting, or do we get to shoot him between the eyes?
知道么,我又糊涂了。他是等死呢,还是我们照着他额头来一枪?
I've decided you're right. My career is not over.
我想明白了,你说的对,我的事业并未终结。
Great! But since the arrival of Dennis Kim has rendered my research pointless, I just have to find something else to focus on.
好极了!不过既然丹尼斯·金出现后我的研究已经毫无意义,我需要把精力集中在其他方面。
Great! So I've decided I'm going to collaborate with you.
好极了!所以我决定跟你合作。
Great. So what exactly is it you do?
很好。说起来你到底在研究什么?
I know you chatter on about it all the time, but I've never really paid attention.
我知道你总是唠叨你的工作,可我从没认真听过。
Okay, well, right now I'm designing an experiment to study the soft component of cosmic radiation at sea level, but I really don't need any help.
好吧,我正在设计一个试验分析海平面宇宙辐射的软性部分,不过我真不需要帮忙。
Oh, sure you do. Now, see, what's this here in the schematic? Is that a laser array? Yes.
别逞强了。等下,瞧示意图上这是什么?是激光列阵吗?对。
What happens if you use argon lasers instead of helium-neon?
要是你不用氦氖激光改用氩激光会怎么样?
It would blow up. Are you sure? Pretty sure.
会炸掉。你确定吗?相当确定。
"Pretty sure" is not very scientific. Is this how you normally work? Just hunches and guesses and stuff?
“相当确定”可不够科学。你通常就是这么工作的吗?就是靠感觉和猜测什么的。
Okay, Sheldon, I understand that you're going through a bit of a career crisis,
好了谢尔顿,我明白你正面临一点事业危机,
you're searching for some other area where you can feel valuable and productive,
你想寻找另一个领域让你觉得自己有价值有能力,
but I need to tell you something, and I want you to listen carefully.
不过我得告诉你,希望你能认真听。
All right. Go away. If you're concerned about sharing credit with me, your name can go first... I'm going.
好吧。走开!要是你担心我抢你的风头,你的名字可以排在我前面……我这就走。
It's a small, brown paper bag, Ma! I'm looking in it right now.
妈,这只是个小的棕色纸袋,我正往里面看呢。
Why would I make that up? There's no Ding Dong in it.
我干嘛要骗你,里面没有巧克力派。
How are two Ding Dongs tomorrow gonna help me today?
明天给我两个巧克力派,那我今天怎么办?
This is Engineering, huh?
这就是工程学工作室啊。
I'll talk to you later.
我过会儿再打给你。
Engineering. Where the noble semi-skilled laborers execute the vision of those who think and dream.
工程学,技术不纯熟的高尚劳工在这里为那些能够思索和梦想的人服务。
Hello, Oompah Loompahs of science.
你们好啊,科学国度的勤劳小精灵。
Sheldon, what are you doing here?
谢尔顿,你来干吗?
I just came by to say hello.
只是过来打声招呼。
I've been in this lab for three years. You've never come by to say hello.
我在这里三年了,你从没过来打招呼。
Well, up until now, I've had better things to do. So, what are we making today?
这之前我都在忙着更重要的事情。咱们今天做的是什么啊?
A small payload support structure for a European science experimental package that's going up on the next space shuttle.
为一个欧洲科学实验组做一个小的飞船有效载荷支撑结构,会用于下一班航天飞机。
Really? How does it work?
真的吗?它怎么工作的?
When this is done, it will be attached to the payload bay, and the sensor apparatus will rest on it.
这个完成之后,会被安装在航天飞机的有效载荷舱里,到时候传感器仪器就会放在上面。
So it's a shelf.
这么说这是个架子。
No, you don't understand, during acceleration, it needs to stay perfectly level and provide... Yeah, okay, it's a shelf.
不是你没明白,在航天飞机加速期间 这必须保持彻底水平并提供……好吧,是的,这是个架子。
Now, I notice you're using titanium. Did you give any consideration to carbon nanotubes?
我注意到你用的是钛金属,你有没有考虑过用碳纳米管,
They're lighter, cheaper, and have twice the tensile strength.
它们更轻更便宜,拉伸强度则是钛的两倍。
Sheldon, there's a diploma in my office that says I have a master's in engineering.
谢尔顿,我办公室有张证书证明我有工程学硕士学位。
And you also have a note from your mother that says, "I love you, Bubula."
你还有张你妈妈写给你的条子说“我爱你宝贝儿子(犹太语)”
But neither of those is a cogent argument for titanium over nanotubes.
不过这两样东西都不能证明钛比纳米管更有效。
Sheldon? Yes? Go away!
谢尔顿?什么事?走开!
Did Leonard tell you to say that?
是兰纳德让你这么说的吧?
No, I thought of it all by myself.
不是,完全是我自己想出来的。
That can't be a coincidence. There must be some causal link I'm missing. Go away!
不可能这么巧。我肯定是错过了什么因果联系。走开!
Curiouser and curiouser.
越来越奇怪啊。