Roberta's mad at me. Sweetheart, can you feel it?
罗伯塔在生我气,亲爱的,你感觉到了吗?
I'm not mad.
我没生气
I just wonder, with only two days left,
我是认为现在只剩两天了
this is the most optimal use of your time,
这应该是最理想的安排
especially since we're missing vital one-on-one interface
尤其我们错过了在芬威走廊
with the swing voters at the Faneuil hall event...
与中间选民面对面的重要机会,
Roberta, plenty of time for all that.
罗伯塔,时间足够
We'll just be here 20 minutes.
我们在这里只待20分钟
Then we'll need to get you straight down
然后你要直接去港口
to the harbor for the EPA announcement,
参加美国环保署的公告发布
which will have crews from every local station.
所有当地电视台都会到场
Cable news?
有线新闻?
Probably make tomorrow's "Globe" above the fold.
还能上明天"环球"的显目位置
So 20 minutes, right?
那么就20分钟,是吗?
Yes. 20 minutes.
是的,20分钟
You know, that's another thing. Who the hell is Alan Shore?
还有件事,这艾伦·肖尔究竟是谁?
Alan Hello, Samantha.
艾伦,你好,萨曼莎
Samantha Fleming Samantha Fleming, this is Tara Wilson.
这是塔拉·威尔逊
Hello. Pleasure.
很荣幸
Do you get any sleep at all?
你睡过会儿吗?
Yes, about three hours a night.
晚上睡了3小时吧
20 minutes.
20分钟
Jack, don't you think I should be part of the meeting?
杰克,难道我不参加会议?
No, Samantha and I will take this one alone.
不,就我和萨曼莎
Oh
哦
The accusations were shocking.
这些指控令人震惊
Money laundering,
洗黑钱
tax evasion,
逃税
obstruction of justice...
妨碍司法公正
the verdict, guilty on all counts.
所有罪名,均被裁定成立
And now, believe it or not,
现在,无论你相信与否
Jack Fleming Jack Fleming wants to be our next mayor.
想要成为我们下任市长
Ask yourself, would you rather have a candidate with convictions,
所以请问问自己,是选一个有信念的候选人
or a candidate who's been convicted?
还是一个被定罪的候选人?
Paid for by the committee to re-elect mayor Thomas Snyder.
由托马斯·斯奈德竞选委员会录制
In your defense,
拍个报复广告
I suppose black and white makes us all look a bit like Moe Howard.
黑白片里我们都会像莫·霍华德
Well, it gets me ticked off every time I see the damn thing.
每次看到这种烂事我就生气
And there's not a word of truth in it.
而且那全是在胡言乱语
But apparently, that doesn't matter.
可很显然,这无关紧要
You know what? I've got three Harvard law professors
我有三个哈佛法学教授
and a former U.S. attorney on my campaign steering committee,
和一个前联邦检查官,在战略筹备委员会里
all saying that there is no way
他们全都认为不可能
that I can get that ad yanked off the air, so...
让这广告就此消失,所以...
I doubt if you've got a silver bullet here, Al, no offense.
我很怀疑你会有什么妙计,AL,无意冒犯
Alan Non-taken
艾伦,我不介意
The ad is completely false.
这广告根本是虚构的
Jack was never convicted of those charges.
杰克从没被定过那些罪
It was a third-generation family real estate trust.
那是个牵涉三代人的不动产托管案
He was a passive beneficiary,
他只是被动受益人
a victim of a trustee whose greed got the trust prosecuted,
被那个贪婪的托管人牵连而已
not Jack personally.
不是Jack本人的错
I know you can help us.
我相信你能帮到我们
You should feel flattered, Alan. Alan
你应该感到高兴
My wife seems to hold you in very high esteem.
看来我妻子对你的评价很高
And I her.
我对她也一样
As you know, in college,
你要知道在大学的时候
not a day went by that I didn't long to sleep with you.
我无时无刻不想跟你上床
I hope I'm not being inappropriate.
希望没有太失礼
As a matter of fact, you are.
事实上你有
Then my apologies.
那我道歉
When you spoke about truth a moment ago,
刚刚你说的真相
I guess I mistook that as a preference for full disclosure.
我听着倒像是事迹败露
Uh, boys, we don't have time for this.
呃...没时间了
Alan, I know it's gonna be tough to get an injunction on this thing...
艾伦,我知道申请法院禁令有难度
You've read the First amendment then.
看来你读过第一修正案了
Three days ago, we had a double-digit lead.
三天前,我们还有两位数的领先优势
Then they put this thing on the air,
然后他们就散布这个
and our overnight polls dropped six points in 72 hours.
昨晚的民意调查显示,我们的支持率72小时内就跌了6点
If we don't move fast, we're going to lose,
我们如果再不行动,就要输了
all because of this late hit.
就因为这些攻击
These lies.
这些谎言
Please help us.
帮帮我们
Let me see if I understand this.
我没理解错的话
In college, you longed to have sex with her. Yes.
大学时你就盼着跟她上床?是的
You ached to feel her naked body pressed up against yours.
你渴望她赤身裸体压在你身上
Yes, well said.
嗯,说得不错
And yet, nothing between the two of you ever happened.
但最后你们居然什么都没发生?
We suffered from bad timing.
我们经历了一段糟糕的时光
You're wondering if that's our destiny,
你有时会想,这就是命运吧
yours and mine 20 years of unrequited foreplay.
你的,我的,20年不求回报的前戏
Is that what you want?
那就是你想要的吗?
Is that what you want?
那就是你想要的吗?
Mr. Shore... Well, it just seems that our timing might also...
肖尔先生...我俩或许也能...
I saw you in the conference room with Jack Fleming.
我看到你和杰克·弗莱明在会议室
What were you two doing?
你俩在干什么
Tai chi, actually.
打太极
I hope it is clear to you
我希望你清楚
that it would be an unacceptable conflict of interest
你代理杰克·弗莱明的任何事宜
for you to represent Jack Fleming in any matter.
都将是不可容忍的利益冲突
This firm is extremely close to mayor Snyder.
这家公司和斯奈德市长亲密无间
Then this firm should take a shower, don't you think?
所以公司更要跟他撇清关系,你说呢?
He is a callous, smug, and brutish man
他是个冷血,粗俗,自以为是的人
who hates the poor and abuses the powerless.
他憎恶穷人,欺凌弱势
You're not following me.
你没明白我的意思
We earn a great deal of money working for the city,
我们能在这座城市赚大钱
due primarily to mayor Snyder's goodwill.
完全仰仗斯奈德市长的支持
One would think that was obvious.
这是人人都该知道的
One would.
会知道的
Well...
好吧
now I have to take the case.
现在我必须接这案子了
Denny Crane
丹尼·克兰
Why did you just say that?
为什么这么说?
Well, isn't that how you guys usually begin a mental status examination,
你们检查精神状况时,不都是先试探对方
by determining if the subject knows his own name?
知不知道自己名字的吗?
Well, yes.
没错
Denny Crane
丹尼·克兰
Got it.
知道了
And who am I, Mr. Crane?
那么我是谁呢?克兰先生?
You are Dr. Thomas H. Lee, neurologist.
你是Dr. Thomas H. Lee,神经科医生
Good.
很好
Can you tell me what day of the week this is? Monday,
能告诉我今天星期几吗?星期一
and a particularly crisp and beautiful one, too, I might add.
多说一句,还是个充满活力又美丽的日子
Good. And who is the current president of the United states?
很好,那么现在的美国总统是谁
That would be Ernest Borgnine.
本该是欧尼斯·鲍基尼
I'll bet you get lunatics in here every day
我打赌在这里,你每天会都遇到疯子
that say that stuff for real, right?
所以你的问题是认真的,对吗?
The current president of the United states is George Walker Bush,
现任美国总统是乔治·沃克·布什
son to George Herbertwalker Bush,
父亲是老布什
whose father was the late united states senator Prescott Bush,
而老布什的父亲是从耶鲁肄业的
who was an undergraduate at Yale,
已故参议员普雷斯科特·布什
once wrestled my father in the nude,
他跟我父亲裸摔过
but that's a story for another day.
那是另外一个故事了
Let's stick to the issues at hand.
让我们回到你手上的问题吧
Denny Crane
丹尼·克兰
Flight risk?
潜逃?
Your honor, my client can barely walk.
法官大人,我委托人走路都有困难
He weighs 300 pounds and suffers from acute rheumatoid arthritis.
他重300磅,还有急性风湿性关节炎
Plus, I think I got a touch of the gout, judge.
而且,我想我还得了痛风,法官
I ain't going nowhere.
我哪儿都去不了
He was moving at a pretty good clip when he left that jewelry store.
他当时行动自如的逃离了珠宝店
It was a one-time adrenaline rush.
这只是一时的肾上腺素在起作用
Your O.R. motion is denied, miss Colson.
自签担保申请驳回,科尔森女士
Bail set at $50,000.
保释金5万美元
We'll take 15, folks.
休庭15分钟
In this way.
这边走
You got a minute?
有空吗?
Sure.
当然
I need a good lawyer.
我需要个好律师
You available?
你能接吗?
Flattered. What's up?
受宠若惊,怎么回事?
Well, Marcie and I split up.
我跟Marcie准备离婚
Yeah, I was so sorry to hear that.
很遗憾
I can recommend somebody, Richard, but I don't do matrimonial work.
我可以推荐一个,理查德,我不打婚姻官司
No, no, I already found somebody for that part.
不,不,已经有人负责那部分了
There's something else.
还有些别的事
Five years ago, when my son was born,
5年前,我们的儿子出生时
we saved his umbilical cord blood.
我们保留了他的脐带血
You mean in the delivery room?
你的意思是在产房?
Right. We got it stored in one of those cryo labs,
是的,我们把它保存在一个实验室里
just in case Zachary
以防万一扎卡里将来需要
ever needs to use it to treat a cancer he develops,
治疗他可能得的癌症
god forbid.
但愿不会
Welcome to parenting in the new millennium.
欢迎来到新世纪的育儿世界
Anyway, the account, it was opened in Marcie's name.
当初帐户是以玛西的名字开的
Which, at the time, I didn't think twice about.
当时我想都没想
But now the lab is saying that makes her the responsible party,
但现在实验室说只能对她负责
not the two of us jointly.
而不是我们两个
She's refusing to release the cord blood.
她拒绝拿出脐带血
She won't let it be used.
她拒绝使用
Your son is sick?
你儿子病了?
I'm sick.
我病了
Multiple myeloma.
多发性骨髓瘤
It was diagnosed six months ago.
6个月前确症的
Oh, Richard, I...
天,理查德,我...
Chemo hasn't worked so far,
化疗还没有什么效果
and they're saying that I need a bone marrow transplant.
他们说我需要做骨髓移植
But they can't find a suitable donor.
但是找不到合适的捐赠人
And your son's cord blood would work instead?
而你儿子的脐带血可以代替?
They think so.
他们这么认为
It's just sitting there in a freezer.
而它就这么被放在冰箱里
Just sitting.
就这么放着
Without it, they gave me six months.
没有它,我只剩6个月
Maybe.
可能
You think I got a lawsuit?
你觉得我该起诉吗?
Let's meet with her first,
让我们先见见她
hope we don't have to file.
希望不需要起诉
Good. Okay.
好的
Thanks.
谢谢
And then what happened, Mr. Shrum?
那时发生了什么事,施勒姆先生
Well, when I couldn't get the pop tart out of the toaster,
我没法从烤面包机里拿出pop tart
I unplugged it.
于是我拔掉插头
And then I jammed a fork down the slot,
然后我往槽里塞进一把叉子
and I guess I must've jiggered it around pretty good, because the...
当时位置一定插得很好,因为...
Can you give us a moment, please?
请稍等片刻
Mark, what did I tell you about volunteering extraneous information?
马克,我是怎么说的?关于额外信息的提供
Not to. Right.
只字不提,对
This is a deposition.
对方在取证
You answer the questions truthfully,
所以你的回答应该真实
but never volunteer anything,
但别毫无保留
so don't add stuff like "jiggering forks around pretty good."
所以别再多说,“把叉子位置插得很好”之类的话
Just answer every question with as few words as possible.
用最少的词回答每个问题
Got it.
我懂了
Sorry.
对不起
All right, Mr. Shrum,
好的,施勒姆先生
when you repeatedly manipulated the fork around in the toaster slot
当你不停用叉子插,面包机槽的时候
and then received an electrical shock and second-degree burns,
你遭到了一阵电击,并被2级烧伤
whose fault would you say that was?
你觉得是谁的错?
Mine?
我?
Uh, I can't answer any shorter. That was one word.
我没法回答得更短了,已经是一个字了
Denny...
丹尼...
We really do need to talk.
我们需要好好谈谈了
The partners are concerned.
合伙人都很担心
About what? Well, your billables,
关于什么?你的能力
do you realize that so far this year you have only billed 1400 hours,
你意识到没有,今年你的收费时间,至今只有1400小时
which is 200 hours less than you had billed up to this point in calendar '03,
比你03年同期整整少了200小时
which was, as you know, a year that saw a marked decline.
如果按整年推算,那将是一个明显的下滑
Breakfast?
早饭?
I already ate.
我已经吃过了
In short, Denny, you are coming in light by about $700,000 a year,
简单地说,丹尼,你的薪水每年至少70万美元
which means that, since calendar '99 alone,
也就是说单从99年算起
you have cost us $3.5 million.
你已经花了我们350万美元
You ever forget things?
你会忘记一些事情吗?
Things like what?
什么样的事?
I don't know, people's names, where you put the car keys,
比如,某人的名字,车钥匙在哪
whether or not you showered,
是不是洗过澡了
what a case you're arguing is all about.
自己正争论的东西是关于什么
Not really.
没有
Well, you should get it looked at, just the same.
那你也要注意一下
You could have what is called mild cognitive impairment.
你可能会有轻微认知损害
It's a precursor to Alzheimer's.
老年痴呆的前兆
Denny, you are theoretically our foremost rainmaker, Denny
理论上你是我们,最棒的"招雨巫师"
but you haven't brought in a new seven-figure client in two years.
但你已经2年没带回7位数的顾客了
You haven't filed a class action in five years.
5年没有共同起诉的案子了
Care to guess how much Lisby, Derucie & Floren
猜一下Lisby Derucie,以及Floren
billed as lead counsel in the tobacco class action?
在烟草案的共同起诉里赚了多少
$127 million.
1亿2千7百万
It's raining cashout there, Denny.
这才是真正的现金雨,丹尼
We're not getting wet.
但这点雨水根本不够
You could do crossword puzzles.
你可以玩字谜游戏
Excuse me?
什么?
It's a great brain stimulator. So is learning new skills.
这对大脑有强烈刺激,学习新技能也一样
You know what else helps?
你知道还有什么方法吗?
Speaking from time to time in a foreign language.
时不时讲点外语
What are you... doing?
你在...干吗?
Researching a case citation.
研究一个案例的引用
Have you ever used a computer before?
你以前用过电脑吗?
An entirely new experience.
全新体验
Bottom line, your honor,
我们的底线,法官阁下
if Mr. Fleming feels aggrieved by the way he's portrayed
如果弗莱明先生对我委托人的竞选策略
in my client's campaign commercials,
如他所描述的那样不满
then let him counter it with commercials of his own.
他可以进行同样的反击
As justice Brandeis said,
就如布兰代斯法官说过的
"the best antidote to false speech is more speech."
对付谣言最好的办法,就是更多的言论
It's not surprising Brandeis would say that.
布兰代斯会说这些不奇怪
He was a well-known drunk and pedophile.
他是众所周知的醉鬼和恋童癖
No, he wasn't.
不,他不是
That's right. He wasn't.
你说得对,他不是
I made it up.
我编的
Does anyone have a problem with me making provably false accusations
有没有会人介意,我这样蓄意诬蔑
about honorable people, just so my side can win?
可敬之人并以此来谋求胜利?
Because that's certainly their strategy.
这显然就是他们的战术
He's amazing.
他太棒了
Yes, we're quite fond of him.
是的,我们都很爱他
Mr. Shore is asking that you impose prior restraint on speech
肖尔先生要求您使用言论限制条款
and not just any speech, but the robust dialogue of a political contest.
针对的还不是普通言论,而是一场政治竞赛中的有力对话
We don't do that in this country.
这个国家不会这么做的
If they took a song from the Beatles catalogue
如果你拿了一首甲壳虫乐队的歌
and used it in a campaign commercial without permission,
并在未经允许的情况下,用于竞选广告
would you order the commercial off the air? Of course you would.
你会叫停这段广告吗?你当然会!
It's an absurd analogy, your honor.
法官大人,这是荒谬的比喻
What if they ran a campaign commercial
那如果他们的竞选广告里有
with footage of this lovely young woman right here showering,
这位可爱女士的洗澡镜头
footage secretly taken with a lipstic camera
用的是针孔摄像头
mounted in her health club locker room?
就安装在健身俱乐部里呢?
This is ridiculous. The point is,
这太可笑了,关键是
in all of those cases,
在这些事中
we absolutely would see injunctive relief granted
我们可以看到禁制令的作用
because those are rights worth protecting.
因为有些权力值得我们去维护
And so is the right of Jack Fleming
而杰克·弗莱明同样也应拥有
to have the truth told about his life.
说出自己生活真相的权力
But how do we determine the truth, your honor?
但我们如何能界定真相,阁下?
Would Mr. Shore have us establish a government department of veracity?
肖尔先生会要求设立,一个政府部门来衡量吗?
Mr. Fleming already has a remedy available.
弗莱明先生已经找到了补救措施
It's called the slander suit. I'm curious.
一起诽谤起诉,我很想知道
When one wins a slander suit, does the court award votes?
当赢得诽谤案后,法庭会奖励选票吗?
Because that's the issue here.
因为这才是关键
They're trying to cost him the election now
他们策划让他在,现在的选举中损失惨重
even if they have to pay him a few dollars years from now.
即使以后要赔他些钱,那是几年后
Well,
好吧
this has been fascinating, gentlemen,
这看起来越来越有趣了,先生们
kinda like debate night at mensa.
有点儿像mensa的争辩之夜了,
Mr. Gelman, that TV spot you're defending is emphatically vile. Mr. Gelman
你维护的那段视频,是极其卑劣的
But, Mr. Shore, he's right.
但是肖尔先生,他是对的
Political speech is not subject to prior judicial review.
政治讲演无需接受法司法审查
And thank the lord, or that's all I'd ever do.
感谢上帝,否则光这项就够我忙了
We're adjourned.
休庭
Well, that was discouraging.
看来有些丧气
It was.
是这样
I'm sorry.
我很抱歉
You tried.
你已经尽力了
What now?
现在怎么办?
I'm gonna recommend we do a gang-bang
我建议跟他们大干一场
sit down with the four local anchormen.
邀请4个本地的节目主持人
And obviously, you by Jack's side,
显然,你会出现在Jack身边
doing the whole "stand by your man" thing.
表现出全力支持你的丈夫
Very important when accusations go to character like this,
诉讼变成现在这样将是关键时刻
we answer every question, dominate the airwaves.
我们回答每个问题,主导舆论走向
The message? Our guy is a superior piece of manpower.
散播消息?我们的人可是个中高手
Feedback? Sounds good.
意下如何?听起来不错
That copacetic on your end? Mm, sure.
你满意吗?当然
Copacetic on my end, too.
我也全身心的满意啊
Your end?
你感觉到了吗?
Got it.
知道了
Be right back with your coffee.
你的咖啡马上来
Thank you.
谢谢
Well, we're very grateful that you agreed to meet with us.
很感谢您肯见我们
Did I have a choice? You were pretty insistent on the phone.
我有得选吗?你在电话里那么坚持
Sorry, it's just a situation of some urgency,
抱歉,因为事情比较急
and I know you've said you didn't want to retain counsel,
我知道你说不想请律师
but I would respectfully suggest... We've spent enough on lawyers.
但我仍想建议...我们在律师身上浪费得够多了
We had a five-star divorce, didn't we, Richard?
我们有个"五星级"离婚,对吧,Richard
Look, I have to pick up Zach from a play date, so...
我要去扎克的朋友那接他,所以??
Well, what I came to say is simple, Marcie.
好吧,我长话短说,玛西
I'm sick, and I need your help.
我病了,我需要你的帮助
I can't let you use Zach's cord blood.
我不能让你用扎克的脐带血
I told you that when you called.
电话里我已经说过了
What if he gets sick and needs it himself?
万一以后他病了也要用怎么办?
We saved it for a reason.
我们当初也是为此才保存的
Marcie, I can certainly understand your feelings, but perhaps...
玛西,我能体会你的感受,但可能..
do you have children, miss Colson?
你有孩子吗,科尔森女士?
No.
没有
You want to protect Zach,
你想保护扎克
and I understand that.
我能够理解
But how about protecting him from losing his father?
那是否也要保护他,免受丧父之痛呢?
He's not gonna lose you.
他不会失去你的
You're strong. You'll beat this.
你很强壮,你会战胜病魔的
This isn't some simple transfusion we're talking about.
我们不是在说一般的输血
They need an exact match, and they can't find one.
这需要严格的吻合,但他们找不到
They've tried, Marcie. Don't you get it?
他们已经尽力了,玛西,你明白吗?
Well, they should keep trying.
那么,他们应该继续尝试
But I'm running out of time!
但是我已经没时间了
Please don't yell at me.
别对我大声叫嚷
I'm sorry.
对不起
I was thinking on the way over here,
来这的路上我一直在想
uh, about the day Zach was born,
扎克出生的那天
and holding him and feeling as if I was part of some great continuum.
我抱着他,似乎是我生命的延续
Feeling as if...
感觉就像是...
it's stupid, but...
这很蠢,但是...
feeling as if I had thrown my DNA forward into the future, you know?
感觉就像把我的DNA,抛向了未来,你明白吗?
Like some biological javelin.
就像生物学中的标枪投掷
He's my flesh and blood, Marcie.
他是我的骨肉,玛西
I would never do anything to put him at risk.
我绝不会让他冒任何风险
I've read all the literature.
我已经看过相关资料了
I mean, the chances of Zach ever needing to use this are about 1 in 2,700.
扎克会用到的可能性是二千七百分之一
But I need it now...
但是我现在就需要它...
to live.
才能活下去
I am his flesh and blood, too, Marcie.
我也是他的骨与血,玛西
Please, don't ask me about this again.
请不要再提这事了
Either of you.
你俩都是
It's okay.
会好起来的
I understand you provided representation to Jack Fleming after all,
我听你还是成了杰克·弗莱明的代理人
contrary to my explicit instructions.
完全违背我明确的指示
I did.
是的
But please understand,
但请你谅解
ordinarily, I place great value on all things explicit.
通常我对所有明确的事都很看重
Is it your feeling that Denny Crane will protect you from me?
你是不是觉得丹尼·克兰会保护你?
It is.
正是如此
To the extent that he recalls who I am.
从某种意义上说,他让我找回了自己
Well, perhaps it will jog his memory
哦,他可能会记起你
when I devote a large portion of next month's senior partners' meeting
当我下个月在高级合伙人会议中
to a discussion of your situation here.
重点讨论你的去留问题
Miss Wilson
威尔逊女士
Was that man threatening you again?
他又威胁你了?
Yes. It seems to be his job description.
是的,似乎这也是他的工作职责
CNN said the election was too close to call.
CNN报道说选举跟庭讯太靠近了
Fleming is up two points, but it's within the margin of error.
弗莱明还领先2个点,但这仍在误差幅度内
I think that's what I'll call my autobiography.
所以我会把自传命名为
"Within the margin of error."
“徘徊在误差内”
Will I be in it?
里面会有我吗?
It depends on who ghosts it. I'll certainly lobby on your behalf.
这取决于是谁执笔了,我会替你争取的
Well...
这样...
I'll expect a chapter... minimum.
我会期待有整整一章 至少
Well, I would imagine you could earn a chapter quite easily...
我想你的事能轻易地塞满一章
I was wondering if you could help me with this product liability issue...
你能否帮帮我,关于这个产品责任案
Never mind.
不好意思
No, please, I'm all yours.
别走,我是你的了
Hardly.
未必
Ever used a computer?
用过电脑吗?
Denny!
丹尼!
Um... yes. Yes, I have.
是,是的,我用过
Remarkable machine.
不可思议的机器
Let me ask you a question.
问你个问题
A manufacturer of toasters should anticipate
烤面包机生产商是否该预计到
that their written safety instructions will be ignored
所写的安全提示会被忽略
to the extent that they're counter intuitive
某种程度上这是非直觉性的
and should plan for that contingency, right?
因此他们也该对此负责,对吗?
In an ideal world.
在理想世界里
What are you doing here?
你在这里干什么?
I was afraid you'd hang up if I tried calling you.
我怕打电话的话你会挂掉
Can we talk?
我们能谈谈吗
I have nothing else to say.
我没有什么要说的
I think I know your secret.
我想我知道你的秘密
It was only one time.
只是一次
Richard and I just had a huge fight.
理查德和我大吵了一架
I went to spend the weekend at my sister's,
我去妹妹那里过周末
and there was a guy there, this houseguest of hers.
正好有个男生来她家过夜
We were all drinking wine,
我们都喝了酒
and suddenly he and I were alone.
然后突然间我们都感到很寂寞
And it just happened.
于是就发生了
I agonized about whether or not to have the baby.
我还为要不要这个孩子烦恼过
And in retrospect, I can't imagine not, you know?
回想起来我简直无法想象,如果当初选择不要,你理解吗?
But I promised myself that Richard would never, ever find out.
我自己发过誓,理查德永远也不会知道
You can't tell him.
你不能告诉他
You should tell him.
你应该告诉他
He deserves to know, especially now.
他应该知道,尤其是现在
No, now would be the worst time.
不,现在更加不能
Being Zach's father, it's what he lives for.
他现在只为做扎克的父亲而活
If you don't tell him, I will.
如果你不说的话,我会告诉他
I'm his attorney. I have an obligation.
我是他的律师,我有这个义务
Just tell him I won't release the cord blood.
你只要告诉他,我不会同意提供脐带血
Tell him to keep trying to find a match.
让他继续寻找合适的配型
He needs to keep trying.
他不能放弃
If Zachary's blood could save him, of course, I would let him have it.
如果扎克里的血能救他,我当然愿意给他
And it tears me apart that I can't tell him that, but I can't.
隐瞒真相让我痛苦万分,但是我实在不能告诉他
How did you figure it out?
你怎么会知道的?
Occupational hazard.
职业病
I watch people's eyes.
我能看穿人的眼神
When Richard was telling you how he felt the day Zach was born...
理查德在说扎克出生时的感受...
Promise me you won't tell him.
答应我别告诉他
I have an obligation.
我职责所在
Samantha
萨玛莎
You're wet.
你湿透了
It's raining.
外面在下雨
He's screwing her.
他在跟她上床
That media consultant Roberta...
那个媒体顾问罗伯塔
She left a detailed message on his cell phone.
她在他手机上留了很详细的讯息
Didn't know I was borrowing it.
她不知道我正好借用了
Come in and get dry.
进来擦擦干吧
Buy me a drink?
请我喝一杯
Maybe if he had done it with somebody extraordinary.
哪怕他跟其他更出众的人上床
Roberta, she's... Roberta
她...
she's just so...
她是那种...
sufficient.
够劲
I'm sorry.
对不起
It's fine. This is my regular place.
没什么,我常来
I bring crying women here all the time.
每次都带哭泣的女人来这里
Oh, really?
真的?
Well...
这个...
I guess I'm that cliche?
我是不是太老套了
the credulous political wife,
一个轻信的政客夫人
cheated on, humiliated,
被欺骗,被羞辱
didn't see it coming.
却一直没有发现
I have to do that interview with him tomorrow.
我明天还得和他一起接受采访
Stand by my man.
支持我的男人
He doesn't know that I know.
他不知道我已经知道了
What do I do?
我现在怎么做?
What do you want?
你想要怎么样?
I want out.
我要退出
Guess I am out.
我猜我出局了
Guess I've been out.
或早就出局了
I do want him to win the election.
我真希望他能赢得这次选举
I do. He'd be a great mayor.
真的,他会是个伟大的市长
He really does care about people.
他真的关心他人
As long as they're strangers to him.
只要还不是他的亲人
You really don't like him.
你不是普通的讨厌他
Is that why you made that joke in your conference room, when...
所以你在会议室,开那样的玩笑,当...
When I said not a day in college went by
在大学时
that I didn't long to sleep with you?
无时无刻不想和你上床?
Yeah.
是的
It wasn't a joke.
这不是玩笑
I had a place all picked out back then,
我安排好了一个地方
a motel out on route 9,
9号州际公路上的一家旅馆
the Aloha inn.
Aloha旅馆,
I thought you might appreciate the tropical ambience.
我想你会喜欢热带风情
I'm imagining a lot of rattan and plastic orchids.
我想到了很多藤条和塑料兰花
There's a neon signout front that blinks
旅馆前闪烁着霓虹灯
"Aloha" in orange,
“Aloha”是橙色的
then "inn" in pink,
而“inn”是粉色的
then the hula girl's skirt in green,
绿色的夏威夷草裙
over and over and over.
这里,那里,到处都是
It sounds lush.
听起来似乎很舒服
And all night long,
整个晚上
the rooms are flooded with the glow of that neon.
房间充满了那氖灯柔和的光线
And I always wondered how you would look naked in all that...
我经常会想在那样的环境,你不穿衣服是怎样的?
pink, green, and orange.
粉色,绿色,橙色
Hi. Hi.
嗨,嗨
You okay?
你还好吧?
I'm gonna see if the candidate can squeeze me in for a moment.
我去看看候选人能否挤点时间给我
Moment of your time?
可以占用几分钟吗?
Are you joking? We're about to start.
你在开玩笑?我们就要开始了
It's a pressing matter.
事情紧迫
Perhaps we could duck in there.
可以就在那里谈一下
You've got 30 seconds.
你有30秒
Then I'd better jump right in.
那我必须开门见山了
Do you have a favorite movie about politics?
有喜欢的政治片吗?
Mine is "The candidate."
我喜欢的是“候选人”
Okay, we're done here. I still have 20 seconds left.
好了,谈话结束,-我还剩20秒
I especially like that scene
我尤其喜欢那段
after Redford wins the election when he asks his top advisor,
Redford赢得选举后问他的首席参谋
"Marvin, what do we do now?"
“Marvin,现在该怎么办?”
Goodbye, Mr. Shore.
再见,Mr. Shore
You're a married man, Jack, Jack
你是个有家室的男人
having a furtive sexual relationship with your media consultant,
却跟媒体顾问乱搞
which begs the question,
这样就引出了这个问题
"Marvin, what do we do now?"
“Marvin,现在该怎么办?”
Of course, your name isn't Marvin,
当然,你不叫马文
and Redford had already won.
而Redford已经赢得选举
You, on the other hand, could still lose
你却未必,也可能输
if anything unpleasant were to come up.
如果有什么不光彩的事浮出水面
And does she know?
她知道了吗?
Use her name.
请称呼她的名字
Does Samantha know?
萨曼莎知道了吗?
Samantha knows.
萨曼莎知道了
This is a memorandum of agreement.
这是离婚协议
By all means, read it when you have a free moment.
抽空时候你可以看一下
But I'll need your signature right now, I'm afraid.
但现在我就要你的签字
So, here are the headlines,
大意是
Samantha will do your little dog and pony showout there,
萨曼莎会在那陪你一起做秀
and all other events with you from now through the inauguration,
也会出席所有活动,从现在到就职典礼为止
should you be lucky enough to have one.
如果你命够好,有的话
She, of course, smiling at all times, exactly like pat Nixon.
她会如帕特·尼克松那样,始终带着微笑
And in return, after the divorce,
作为回报,离婚后
she gets a meaningful role in every high-level appointment
她的意见将举足轻重,包括你任期内每个高层的任命
and major policy initiative during your first term.
以及主要政策的制定
She put you here. She's earned it.
她成就了你,这是应得的
I would never, ever give her that.
她永远也不要妄想这个
Do you understand?
明白了吗?
Perfectly.
完全明白
So, then, we'll handle this transaction in the only currency
那只剩一条路可走了
that's really available to us.
不过对我们倒是很有利
Samantha gets the house in Nantucket,
萨曼莎将得到楠塔基特岛的房子
75% of all funds in the various bank accounts
所有银行帐户内的百分之七十五
as of close of business yesterday,
结算到昨天为止
the mutual funds in their entirety,
全部的共有基金
and 60% of all other assets as determined by the forensic accountants
和其他由法务会计师,所估算财产的百分之六十
that we will hire, and you will pay for.
我们会请一个,钱也是你来出
Oh.
哦
Be sure to date it on the bottom there.
记得在最底下写上日期
You can't lie to a client.
你不能对客户撒谎
I know. I told her.
我知道,我也对她说了
It's just, the news will crush him, Paul.
只是这个消息会击垮他的,保罗
And to what end? What good will have been done?
结果呢?会有什么好处吗?
He will have been dealt with truthfully by his attorney.
他的律师对他诚挚以待
That's the good. I know all the law school arguments.
这就是好处,我知道所有法学院里的论点
Let's talk real world here.
让我们来面对这个现实世界
Okay. Real world? OK
现实世界?
If I learned that an attorney in this firm knowingly told a lie to a client,
如果我知道这间公司有律师,故意对客户说谎
a lie central to the matter the client had retained us to handle,
还关系到客户委托我们处理的事务
I would personally report it to the ethics committee of the state bar,
我将亲自向州律师工会,道德委员会举报
regardless of whatever respect or affection
重视也好,交情也罢
I might feel for the attorney in question.
我都会对这样的律师产生怀疑
Oh, I'm sorry.
哦,不好意思
I was just leaving.
我正要走
Hey. Hi.
嘿,嗨
And thanks for seeing me on such short notice.
突然拜访,谢谢你能见我
I, I know I could have just faxed this over,
我,我知道可以传真过来
but I wanted to massage some of the language with you.
但我想和你讨论一些用词
Clearly, you're gonna be a better judge
你是最好的鉴定人选
Richard on whether the arguments here are too inflammatory,
理查德,看看这段论述会不会太煽情
which is the obvious pitfall of filing appellate papers against your ex-wife.
针对前妻的上诉书中,哪里有明显的缺陷
Richard, listen.
理查德,听着
I'll just shut up and let you read it. I'm sorry.
抱歉,我闭上嘴,你先读一下
Look, there's something I need to tell you.
我有些事情要告诉你
And I don't know how to begin.
但真的难以启齿
You said my client was here, Markhrum?
你说我有客户在这里,Markhrum?
He was here. Mr. Crane came out to get him.
他刚在这儿,克兰先生带他进去了
Denny got him?
丹尼带他进去了?
I don't understand how Marcie could do this.
我不懂玛西怎么能这样做
She feels deeply ashamed.
她也感到非常的遗憾
But the priority now has to be finding you a suitable donor.
但目前最要紧的是找到,合适你的捐献者
But how could Marcie destroy the cord blood?
但玛西怎么能毁了脐带血呢
It wasn't intentional.
不是有意的
She was having it transferred last week from one lab to another.
上周她想把它转去另一个实验室
I guess she wanted to hide it from you.
我猜她是想把它藏起来
There was a shipping glitch.
可运输时发生了故障
It went 36 hours without being refrigerated.
它脱离了冰冻状态36个小时
She was devastated.
她也深受打击
I talked to Denny Crane. He's a trustee of Boston General.
我跟丹尼·克兰谈过了,他是波士顿将军的托管人
He's having their chief of oncology call you tomorrow.
明天他们的肿瘤学专家会联络你
Thank you.
谢谢
That's very kind.
非常感谢
They'll find you a match. I know they will.
他们会替你找的合适的,我知道他们一定会
You're gonna get through this.
你会熬过来的
Let's hope.
希望吧
Editors of Times called it obnoxious.
时代的编辑们认为这令人反感
This refusal of mayer Snyder to agree to debate his challenger.
斯奈德市长拒绝了对手的辩论要求
Of course, there was one joint campaign appearance,
当然两位候选人也曾联诀登场
the two candidates sharing the same stage
同时站在一个舞台上
at one point several weeks ago
在几个星期前
when the Snyder camp called a debate...
斯奈德提出辩论要求...
Feels good, doesn't it?
感觉不错,对吧?
What feels good?
什么感觉不错?
Having sex with the candidate. What if he wins?
和候选人上床,如果他赢了呢...
I bet the orgasms are even better if he wins.
我打赌你就会觉得更兴奋的
I'm jealous.
真让人妒嫉
And we're ready to make a call in the race for mayor of Boston.
现在我们要揭晓波士顿市长的,竞选结果了
Okay, everybody, this is it!
好的,大家,要来了
Based on exit polling,
根据投票结果
we are now projecting that mayor Thomas Snyder
我们要说,市长托马斯·斯奈德
has lost his bid...
输了
Let's go.
我们走
He'll want you downstairs in the ballroom
他希望你到楼下宴会厅里
basking in the adulation, part of the deal.
享受阿谀奉承,交易的一部分
New deal.
有新交易了
This is where I get off.
这里就是我退出的地方
Coming?
一起?
But one thing we do know tonight,
今晚我们能肯定的是
the Thomas Snyder era is coming to an end.
托马斯·斯奈德的时代即将结束
And Boston's new mayor will be Jack Fleming.
新任波士顿市长将是杰克·弗莱明
Stan Forrester is standing by
斯坦·福雷斯特正在
at the Fleming victory party at the Hyatt
凯悦弗莱明的庆功会上为您报道
where a very happy crowd is
那里充满欢乐的人群
waiting for the mayor-elect and his wife
正等待着下任市长和市长夫人
to make their way down to the ballroom.
步入宴会厅
Can you hear me, Stan?
你能听到吗,斯坦?
Denny
丹尼
I'm worried about you.
我很担心你
You're speaking French to the messengers,
你对送信的人说法语
you got crossword puzzles spread out all over the conference table,
你在会议桌上摊满字谜游戏
you walk into reception,
你走到接待处
hijack one of Sally Heep's clients,
拦劫了萨莉·黑普的客户
actually have a meeting with him in your office.
还在自己的办公室里和他谈
Did you even know what his case was about?
你对他的案子哪怕知道一点儿吗?
I took that test the other day,
我做了那个测试
the one where they ask you a bunch of questions
有个人会问你很多问题
to see if you've turned into an imbecile,
来判断你有没有变痴呆
and they do a scan of your brain. You know what they found out?
他们还会扫描你的大脑,你猜他们发现了什么?
That I have a lot of blue and yellow and red stuff colliding up there.
无数红蓝黄色的东西缠在一起
The damn MRI photo looks like a hurricane.
那MRI照片看起来就像龙卷风,
I don't remember what was the good color
我记不清哪种颜色代表是好的
and what was the bad color, but the point is this.
哪种颜色是不好的,但是关键是
They discovered that I remember some things
他们发现我记得一些事情
and I forget others.
却忘记了其他的
And that's the way it's gonna be.
事情将是这样的
You wanna know what that man's case is all about?
你想知道那男人的案子?
He stuck a fork in a toaster.
他将一把叉子插进烤面包机里
It's a little pissant lawsuit.
是个鸡毛蒜皮的小案
But I remember what you said the other day.
但是我记得你曾经说的
What was that?
说过什么?
Seriously, Paul,
我是认真的,保罗
you have to have that test.
你也该去做那个测试
You said that we weren't filing enough class-action suits,
你说我们没有足够的共同起诉案
that we were missing out on a gold shower.
那样我们就淋不够"金雨"
I, I believe I said a money shower.
我,我相信我说的是"钱雨"
When I heard the fact pattern of the Sally Heep case,
当我听说Sally Heep的案子
I was able to persuade Mr. Shrum
我成功的让施勒姆先生相信
that there was a greater good to be achieved.
这将是大大的有利可图
And long story short, happily,
而且,简单点说
the toaster company was open to my argument.
烤面包机公司也接受了我的观点
What argument?
什么观点
That an attorney...
一个律师
like Denny Crane with extensive class action experience
像丹尼·克兰这样,有丰富从业经验的律师
could easily turn Mr. Shrum's case into a lucrative opportunity.
可以轻松地把施勒姆先生的案子变成赚大钱的机会
On the other hand,
可相反
if they were to give Denny Crane their ongoing legal business,
如果他们把手上的法律事务,交给丹尼·克兰
augmenting the fine work done by the in-house counsel,
让公司法律顾问的工作锦上添花
then Denny Crane would be unavailable
那丹尼·克兰就无法
to represent Mr. Shrum who, incidentally,
代表施勒姆先生,随便提一下
is going to receive $50,000 from the company as a goodwill gesture.
他将从公司得到5万美元慰问金
So don't you worry too much, Paul,
所以,别太杞人忧天了,保罗
about Denny Crane.
瞎担心丹尼·克兰
And I also wanna say to my wife Samantha,
我还想告诉我的妻子萨曼莎
who unfortunately could not be here tonight,
很遗憾她今天不能来这里
she's a little under the weather.
她有点不舒服
Samantha, I love you,
萨曼莎,我爱你
and I wish you could be right up here beside me right now.
我多希望此时此刻你就在我身边
We love her, right?
我们都爱她,对不对?
That's right. Sure we do.
是的,当然
Okay.
好了
Thank you all. God bless you, Boston.
感谢你们大家,上帝保佑波士顿
You did the right thing.
你得很对
Yes, I did.
是的
I lied to him.
我骗了他
Lori
洛里
you realize you have exposed this firm
你有没有意识到,你会使这家公司
to a potentially enormous liability award
面临巨大的潜在责任
and imposed on me certain excruciating ethical obligations?
也会让我深受道德规范的困扰?
You'll do the right thing, too.
你也会做出正确选择的
At last....
终于...
my love has come along
我的爱人已出现
my lonely days are over
孤独的日子已经结束
and life is like a song
生活如歌
Ooh....
哦...
At last
终于
the skies above are blue
天空成为蓝色
my heart was wrapped in clover
心中充满了幸运
We should have done this much sooner.
我们早就该这么做了
Let's do it again.
让我们再做一次