Who the hell are you?
你是谁?
It's not who so much as what. This is a men's room.
是什么才对,这可是男洗手间
What's your name, fella?
你叫什么,小子?
I'm Shirley Schmidt. Pardon the intrusion but...
我是雪莉·施密特,抱歉闯进来
one of our assistants is suing us under title IX,
一个助理起诉我们性别歧视
claiming, among other things, the men have better fixtures.
其中一条就声称,男职员享有更好的设施
So you're Shirley Schmidt of Crane, Poole &...
你就是那个雪莉·施密特
Schmidt
施密特
Alan Shore. It's a pleasure.
艾伦·肖尔,很高兴认识你
Surely you intend to wash that first.
毫无疑问你会先洗手
I keep an extremely clean penis.
我家老二向来十分干净
I know all about you. And I you.
我知道你不少,彼此彼此
There's much written in stall number 2.
第二个隔间里,写得很详尽
I pictured you younger. Much.
我想像中你年轻,多了
A smart attorney recognizes who he can or cannot rattle.
聪明的律师该会判断,对谁才能耍嘴皮
He also knows a good rattle when he sees one.
他也知道碰上后要怎样耍
Since I'm your boss, I can't return your sexual banter,
我是你上司,我不会回应你的性玩笑
but I will say, for the record, that if I were looking for a rattle,
但我要说按惯例,如果我要找人调情
he would be taller, he would be better-looking.
这个人会更高,更帅
He would be more evolved than a junior in high school.
他会比高中毛头小子成熟得多
I prefer the juniors in high school.
我就更喜欢高中的小毛头
He would be something other than a self-loathing narcissist with a dwarf fetish,
他决不会是自恋狂,还有侏儒情节
and, yes, judging from what I got a glimpse of in the mirror
还有,以我刚从镜子里
when I first entered the room, he would be bigger.
看到的来说,他的会比你大
Much.
很多
My, my, my.
哇喔,哇喔,哇喔
She's been in the New York office the last three years.
三年来她一直在,纽约办公室
Rumor has it Lewiston called her back to get things into shape.
传言说Lewiston请她回来,整顿些事情
What things?
什么事情?
Us things. Litigation has been under performing, Sally.
我们的事,诉讼已经开始了,萨莉
Plus, our image around town is becoming that of...
另外,我们的形象越来越趋向?
Denny Crane. Exactly.
丹尼·克兰,完全正确
The truth is, we need a kick in the ass, and I'm glad she's back.
我们也该被整顿一下了,我很高兴她能回来
Lori... Is Shirley Schmidt really back?
洛里,雪莉·施密特真的回来了?
Temporarily. I need you in the conference room on another matter. It's urgent.
暂时的,快到会议室去,有急事找你
I'm available. As soon as you can, please.
我有空,请尽快
Why is she back?
她为什么回来?
Evidently, Lewiston asked her to return.
很明显,刘易斯顿请她回来的
Why? This I do not know.
为什么?这我可不知道
I do not want Shirley Schmidt in this building.
我不想雪莉·施密特,出现在这栋大楼
Denny, she's a named partner. You can't exactly ban her presence.
丹尼,她是合伙人,你不能禁止她出现
I'm gonna tell you something I haven't told anybody.
我要告诉你件,其他人不知道的事
I once had a torrid...
我和那女人有段热烈的?
torrid affair with that woman.
热烈的关系,和那女人
First, everybody knows that... and second, the word would be "horrid."
首先,这事世人皆知,其次,应该是“糟糕”的
Shirley
雪莉
This firm isn't big enough for the two of us.
这间事务所容不下,我俩同时存在
I agree. It would be best if we could be in different cities but...
同意,我们在两个城市最好,但...
it's our differences, ironically, that call for me to be here now.
我俩天差地别,讽刺的是因此我才回来
What differences, specifically?
什么差别?具体点
Well, for starters, I still know how to practice law.
那就是,作为创始人,我仍知道怎么操作法律实务
I don't have to go around saying my name out loud in order to remember it.
不必四处叫嚷自己的名字,生怕自己忘记
I don't want you here.
我不要你在这里
Is it because...
是因为?
you still desire me?
你对我还有感觉?
Ha.
哈
I'm over my wrinkle fetish.
我已经没有恋母情节了
You don't arouse me, Shirley. Oh, please,
你无法撩拨我的,雪莉,噢,拜托
all I have to do is say those two combustible little words.
我只要说那两个,火热的小小的字眼
Denny Crane
丹尼·克兰
She's still hot.
她还是很辣啊
Alan, there's a guy on the phone. He isn't a client.
艾伦,有人打电话来,不是客户
He picked us out of the yellow pages.
他从黄页广告里挑中我们的
He said he's committed a crime, and he needs to speak to a lawyer.
说自己犯了罪,他要找个律师谈谈
We advertise in the yellow pages?
我们在黄页上登广告了?
He sounded really upset.
听起来他真很苦恼
What should I do?
我该怎么做?
Line four? Yes.
四线? 对
This is Alan Shore.
我是艾伦·肖尔
If you're a criminal, please state your name
如果你犯了罪,在提示音后
and the nature of your crime at the sound of the tone.
请报上姓名和所犯罪行的性质
I killed my mother.
我杀了我母亲
Sir, excuse me?
先生?
This is a lawyer, right? What, what I say is privileged, right?
你是律师,对吗?我,我所说的将被保密,对吗?
It might have been wise to establish that before
在告诉我你杀了妈妈前
telling me you killed mother, but, yes, we'll call this privileged.
先问这句话才是明智,但,没错,我们对此保密
It was an accident. Now I don't know what to do.
那是个意外,现在我不知道该怎么办
Okay,
好的
where is mother now?
你母亲现在在哪
On the kitchen floor.
躺在厨房的地上
Okay.
好的
And have you called for an ambulance, or...
你叫了救护车吗,还是??
She's dead. I don't wanna call the police. They'd arrest me, wouldn't they?
她已经死了,我不想报警,他们会抓我的,对吗?
Typically.
没错
Why don't you give me your name and address, sir?
给我您的姓名和地址好吗?
Ah, here she is.
啊,她来了
John, this is Lori Colson.
约翰,这位是洛里·科尔森
Lori John Zenawi, CEO of Hanley tech.
洛里·约翰·泽纳维,Hanley tech的CEO
Very nice to meet you. My pleasure.
很高兴认识你,我也是
Please sit.
请坐
John is a long time client of our corporate department.
约翰是我们事务所的老客户了
Yes, I think I've done some anti-trust work for your company on occasion.
是的,我曾有为贵公司做反垄断的案子
He's here today because...
他今天来是因为?
John, would you like to explain?
约翰,你想亲自来说吗?
I was born in Sudan.
我生在苏丹
My father transferred to the states when I was 5.
五岁的时候随父亲移民到美国
I've lived here since.
从此生活在这里
Most of my extended family remains in Sudan.
我大部分的亲人都还留在苏丹
One of my cousins was murdered there last week.
上个星期我的一个堂兄被杀了
I'm very sorry.
我很抱歉
That was the 11th family member to have been killed.
这已是我们家族第十一个受害者了
I can't begin to describe the sense of futility I feel.
我无法形容,觉得自己有多无能
I need to do something, Ms. Colson.
科尔森女士,我必须做点什么
I've been fortunate to have made a lot of money,
很幸运我现在非常富有
and I can no longer sit passively.
我也无法再坐视不管
So, as preposterous as it may sound,
所以,即使这听起来很荒谬
and as expensive as it may be,
或许还要花笔大钱
I want to sue the government.
我要起诉政府
Well, our courts wouldn't have jurisdiction over the Sudanese government.
我们的法庭对苏丹政府没有司法权
I'm sure Paul told you that.
我相信Paul已经告诉过你了
He's not looking to sue the Sudanese government.
他并不是要起诉苏丹政府
I want to go after the United states.
我要告美国
On what grounds?
基于什么?
That is what I need you to tell me.
那就等你来告诉我了
Typically, Lori, whenever there's a case that can't be brought,
洛里,只要有无法操作的案子
I run it by you.
我都会找你
You call me insane among other things more colorful, you exit the room,
你就先骂我疯子或更难听点的,然后走开
then return the next day with a crazy idea.
但隔天就会带着出人意料的点子回来
We need that idea, Lori.
我们需要个点子,洛里
If I can get into court, Ms. Colson, I can make some noise.
如果我能上法庭,科尔森小姐,就有机会制造点声音
That is what I'm desperate to do here,
这是我最想要做的
put this issue in the spotlight a little,
吸引公众的视线
create maybe an outcry of sorts.
能引起些抗议之类的
I don't mean to sound harsh,
听上去可能有些刺耳
but the genocide going on in Sudan
但苏丹发生的种族屠杀
has been covered quite a bit by the press, Mr. Zenawi,
媒体关注的很少,泽纳维先生
and the American people have spoken.
美国人民已经表了态
They don't care.
他们不关心
Well,
那么至少
I guess, for my own peace of mind,
为了自己心安理得
I need to do whatever I can.
我该尽我所能
Maddie
麦迪
Yes. Hello, dear, I'm Shirley Schmidt.
是,亲爱的,我是雪莉·施密特
I read your title IX complaint last night.
我昨晚读了你那份关于性别歧视的陈述
It's very well drafted. You obviously hired an excellent attorney.
起草的很不错,显然你请了个很优秀的律师
You're fired, Maddie.
你被解雇了,麦迪
You can't...
你不能?
you can't fire me for bringing a title IX.
你不能因为我起诉你们就解雇我
What are you going to do, sweetheart, sue me?
那你打算怎么办,亲爱的,告我吗?
You've already done that.
你已经这么做了
Call your persuasive lawyer, tell him to add a count for wrongful termination.
通知你那妙口生花的律师,告诉他多加上一条不合理解雇
Bye-bye.
再见
By now I'm sure you've run to Paul Lewiston.
你现在是去找保罗·刘易斯顿
No.
不对
I'm coming directly to you because I don't care what Paul Lewiston wants.
我是来找你的,我才不管保罗·刘易斯顿想干嘛
I'm Denny Crane.
我可是丹尼·克兰
Crane comes before Schmidt.
克兰总在施密特的前面
You refer, of course, to when we were intimate.
如你所说,不过只在我们亲密时
Shirley, I demand to know your agenda.
雪莉,我要你的日程安排
You always have one, so please...
你总有计划,所以请?
I told you my agenda, Denny. It's to fix things.
我告诉过你了,丹尼,来收拾些事情
Excuse me,
抱歉
what's your name?
你叫什么名字?
Sally Heep Sally Heep. Very nice outfit, Sally.
衣服很漂亮,萨莉
Can you spell?
怎么拼?
Wear something more appropriate. Pretend you're a lawyer.
穿的得体点,像个律师
This woman happens to be an excellent attorney.
这个女人正是名优秀的律师
She also happens to have a name.
她正好也有个名字
What is it?
是什么呢?
Time's up. Bye-bye.
时间到,再见
Denny Crane
丹尼·克兰
Could you please state your name?
请问尊姓大名?
Alan Shore
艾伦·肖尔
Mr. Shore, thank you for coming.
肖尔先生,感谢到来
I didn't know what to do, or...
我不知该做什么,或是...
this is a horrible thing.
这太可怕了
Oh, I'm sorry.
噢,抱歉
Where are my manners?
我的礼貌哪去了?
May I offer you something to drink?
给您拿些饮料好吗?
Maybe we should start with the kitchen.
也许我们该先去厨房看看
Yes, okay, um,
好的,是的,嗯
I apologize in advance for...
我先要表达歉意,为了?
you know...
你知道的?
the mess. I didn't mean for this to happen.
一团糟,我不是故意的
I don't know what to do.
我不知道该怎么办
See?
看见了?
I told you.
我告诉过你了
Mr. Ferrion, you really do need to call the police.
Ferrion先生,你必须得报警了
First, I need to know my options.
但首先,我要知道自己有哪些选择
Besides Brazil?
包括逃亡巴西?
Well, sometimes, there's circumstances that excuse or, or justify.
总有合理的解释或正当的理由
I, I really need to know what's available to me.
我想知道还能有什么办法
Could you first tell me how she came to be lying dead on the floor?
先说说她怎么死在地上的?
I hit her on the head with a skillet.
我用煎锅砸了她的脑袋
Cast iron.
铁制的
But it wasn't premeditated or planned.
但这绝无预谋
It was just...
只是?
one of those things.
就这么发生了
She was berating me like she does all the time...
她像往常一样不停数落我
how I don't make enough money, how I'm weak.
我不会赚钱,我弱懦无能
All the time, the same litany of how I am a failure.
不停的念叨我是个失败者
It makes me so enraged.
这让我非常生气
It sounds like an accidental skillet bopping so far.
听起来像是意外地砸到了
She kept on and on,
她不停的说啊说
and I kept squeezing it tighter and tighter without even realizing it.
我的手无意识地越攥越紧
And then, I swung.
然后,我挥了过去
But I swear, Mr. Shore, I never decided to.
可我发誓,肖尔先生,,我没想要这么做的
Suddenly, my arm was in motion.
突然间,我的胳膊动了
Bam! I hit her, and she went down.
"乓"!我打中了她,她就倒下了
What do I do?
我都做了什么?!
I certainly can't advise you to conceal evidence in any way,
我不能建议你掩盖证据
but I'm afraid you're going to have to call the police, Mr. Ferrion.
但恐怕你必须报警,Ferrion先生
And if you don't, I'll have to.
如果你不去,我会去
But you're my lawyer. I understand, but...
但你是我的律师,我知道,但?
What am I gonna tell them?
我该对警察说什么呢?
I thought you said she was dead.
我以为你说过她死了
She is. I checked her pulse.
她是死了,我搭过她的脉搏
Sometimes the air remaining inside the body escapes,
有时残留在尸体内的气体会逸出
causing...
造成?
You need not call the police, Mr. Ferrion.
你不用报警了,Ferrion先生
Call for an ambulance.
叫救护车
Mother is still alive.
你母亲还活着
Would you like to hit her again?
要不要再砸她一次?
Did I witness any of it?
我是否目击?
Mr. Zenawi
泽维纳先生,
before I can figure out if there is a claim,
在我决定是否可以起诉之前
I first need to satisfy standing.
需要先满足起诉的标准
It would certainly help if we could make out a case for you specifically.
说清楚了,对我们的工作会很有帮助
Legally, we have a term called zone of danger.
法律上讲,我们有个专业词汇,叫危险范围
Basically, if you were in harm's way yourself.
简单点说,就是当时你是否也受到了伤害
That's why I asked if you've ever witnessed any of it.
所以我问你是否目击过当时的事件
I heard it once.
我听过一次
You heard it?
听过?
This past Summer, I was with relatives.
那个夏天,我和亲戚们在一起
We were celebrating one of my uncles' birthdays.
给我一个叔叔过生日
The army showed up, and, um,
军队突然闯进来,然后,唔
they, um...
他们,唔?
they accosted us.
他们逼近我们挑衅说
Accosted you by...
说...
They told us we were slaves,
他们说我们是奴隶
that we had no right to be in the country, that, um,
我们没有权力呆在这个国家
we were occupying grazing land for their cattle.
说我们侵占了他们放牧的土地
My uncle protested.
我的叔叔抗议他们的说法
They took him behind a barn structure...
他们就把他带到谷仓后面?
and set him on fire.
在他身上点了火
We all heard the screams.
我们都听到了那惨叫
And then they raped one of my cousins.
然后他们又强奸了堂妹
Does that set out a case for me...
这是否足够?
specifically...
清楚地...
to listen to your, uh,
听到了
uncle being burned to death,
自己的叔叔被活活烧死
your cousin being raped?
自己的堂妹被强奸?
It's not that I am not relieved.
不是我不放心
I am.
我放心了
I certainly do love her, but what if she tells?
我当然是爱她的,但万一她说出来怎么办?
Perhaps you should have used a bigger frying pan.
也许你该用个更大的煎锅
Mr. Ferrion
Ferrion先生
did you see what happened?
你看见发生了什么吗?
No, um, she was on a stool putting some things away.
没有,她站在凳子上放东西
I went upstairs to have a bath.
我上楼去冲个澡
I heard a crash, I came running back,
我听到有东西倒下来,就连忙跑回来
and she is on the floor unconscious.
看见她昏倒在地板上
And you are? This is Alan Shore.
你又是?这位是艾伦·肖尔
He's a friend of the family.
他是我家的一个朋友
Bernie, you surprise me. Bernie
你真让我吃惊
Is she gonna be okay?
她会没事吗?
We don't know, sir.
还不知道,先生
I have a crazy idea.
我有个疯狂的想法
Already?
有了?
In tort law, you see a guy lying on the side of the street,
依照侵权法,当你看见有人倒在路边
you have no obligation to pull over and help.
你没有义务停车去帮他
But if you do pull over, you incur a duty to complete that rescue.
但一旦你停车,那你就有义务去完成救助
The theory being other would-be rescuers pass by,
因为其他本愿,帮忙的人会走开
thinking help is already on the scene.
他们认为已经,有人去帮忙了
And?
所以?
The United states has declared a war on terrorism.
美国向恐怖主义宣战
We've talked the talk when it comes to Sudan,
当恐怖主义降临到苏丹,我们也如此声明
we've even given financial aid.
甚至提供了经济援助
Our theory of law would be analogous.
我们适用的法律原理是类似的
Other countries have stayed out,
其他国家都袖手旁观
thinking America's stepping in when we're not.
认为美国已经介入,而事实却不是
It's not a winner.
这不足以打赢官司
But perhaps colorable enough to sue and make noise.
但够我们起诉,闹腾一番
Go draft the complaint.
去起草诉状吧
And?
还有呢?
Thank you.
谢谢
Lori Colson, you slut. Lori Colson
你这小荡妇
How are you, Shirley?
你好吗,雪莉?
Old. Rich.
年老,富有
You look great.
你看起来很不错
So, who are we sleeping with?
现在和谁上床呢?
Oh, usual suspects.
噢,还那几个
You back for good?
回来有什么好事?
Just for bad.
全是麻烦事
Wanna grab a beer later and do a little debriefing?
晚点喝一杯聊聊?
Love it.
乐意至极
You look awesome, by the way.
你看起来也棒极了
I know.
我知道
I certainly don't mind him talking to you.
我当然不介意他和你谈
Look, he already has.
你瞧,他已经这么做了
But if I let him take a polygraph?
但如果我让他接受测谎呢?
Come on, I could be sued for malpractice.
拜托,我会被追究失职的
How is it exactly you came to be here, Mr. Shore?
你到底怎么会在这的,肖尔先生
I drove.
开车来的
Bernie's a friend, I'm here as his friend.
伯尼是我朋友,我作为朋友过来
And since I am a lawyer, look, come on,
不过既然我是律师,你看
there's no sign of a struggle.
没有打斗的痕迹
She slipped and fell,
她滑倒了
and hit her head on either the table or counter or stool, floor.
头撞到了桌子,柜子,或是凳子,地上
Your experts will figure it out.
你们的专家会发现的
He'd like to go to the hospital to be with his mother.
他现在想去医院陪妈妈
Can I tell him he can do that?
我能告诉他,可以这么做吗?
Tell him not to leave the jurisdiction.
告诉他别离开我们的管辖
I heard some of that. Do they suspect me?
我听到了些,他们怀疑我吗?
It's crossed their minds.
他们这么想过
Well, you should know that
这个,你该知道
if you're gonna pass yourself off as my friend...
如果你想一直以朋友的身份出现
You did that, Bernie.
是你说的,伯尼
You should know that my friends call me Bernard.
你该知道朋友都叫我伯纳德
Ah, so I guess that would make me your special friend.
哦,那我就是你特别的朋友
Tell me, Bernie,
告诉我,伯尼
what exactly became of the skillet?
那只煎锅现在究竟怎样了?
You weren't expecting them to throw a parade for you, were you?
你没指望他们夹道欢迎你,对吧?
No, but if I get too much resistance,
是的,但如果抵抗太厉害
I assume I'm permitted to bring my big broom out of the closet.
我柜子里的大扫帚就能出动了
Is that how you get around, on your big broom?
你就是这么四处晃的,骑着扫帚?
Shirley, this is Alan Shore.
雪莉,这是艾伦·肖尔
We've met. Yes, Shirley was in the men's room earlier.
我们见过了,是的,雪莉早先在男洗手间
Inspecting his fixtures.
检查他的装备
I'm a micromanager.
我事必躬亲
Mr. Shore?
肖尔先生?
I thought you were going to the hospital.
我以为你去了医院
I did. We have a little problem.
我去过了,有点小问题
Excuse me, I have a client.
抱歉,我这有个客户
Maybe we can catch up later, Shirley.
我们下次接着聊,雪莉
Good. You can tell me about your products.
没问题,到时你可以介绍你的设备
An excellent lawyer.
一位出色的律师
If I determine he should go...
如果我决定他走人?
he goes.
他就得走
She's vegetative.
她现在是植物人
The doctors think it's 50/50 if she'll come out of it.
医生说她醒过来的机会有一半
In the meantime, and, uh,
同时
I say this with a heavy heart.
说这些我心情沉重
My mother used to be a Christian scientist, as did I.
我母亲曾经是,基督科学教派信徒,我也是
She hasn't been one for years.
她已很多年不信教了
But I...
但是我...
I let it slip out to the doctors that she recently rededicated herself to the faith.
我透露给医生说,她最近又重拾信仰
And they've made inquiries
他们就问了些
as to her position on medical treatment.
关于她的治疗意愿
I really don't think she would want to be on a respirator,
我相信她不愿意,依靠人工呼吸器
as much as it pains me to admit.
尽管这样说我很心痛
You let it slip out that your mother is a born-again Christian scientist?
你告诉别人,你母亲是个回归信仰的基督徒?
May I ask, did your mother rededicate herself to Christian science
能否告诉我,你母亲回归基督教科学派
before or after you hit her on the head with the skillet?
在你用煎锅砸她脑袋前还是后?
I don't appreciate that question.
我不喜欢这个问题
What are you asking me for, Bernie?
你要我做什么,伯尼?
Again, as much as it pains me,
真的,这样我真的很痛心
I'd like you to safeguard her religious freedom.
我希望你维护我母亲的信仰自由
We filed last night. U.S. Attorney's office didn't waste any time.
我们昨晚递交了,美国联邦检察官办公室反应迅速
They brought a 12-B-6. Sovereign immunity.
他们提出12-B-6,主权豁免
Mm-hmm, this may be our one day in court.
嗯,我们在庭上只能坚持一天
And therefore, our one day to make noise.
也是制造舆论唯一的一天
We've put out a release. There should be media in the room.
我们会放出消息,到时候媒体会到场
Can you join for the motion? I'd like to make a big showing.
你能来吗?我希望场面够隆重
Should we get Denny?
需要丹尼吗?
Maybe not that big.
这还不至于
It'll help to have him at the table.
有他在会有帮助
Shirley, I want you to think back and tell me Shirley
回忆一下然后告诉我
who is the best attorney you have ever seen in court.
谁是你在法庭上见过的最棒的律师?
Me.
我
We need to survive a 12-B-6 on a pretty untenable claim.
我们要用个很难辩护的论点对抗12-B-6
How would you feel about joining us for oral arguments?
你愿意参加法庭辩论吗?
What's the claim?
具体是什么?
We're suing the United states government
我们状告美国政府
for the genocide that's taking place in Sudan.
基于发生在苏丹的种族清洗
What's so untenable about that?
那有什么难的?
And this is why I love her.
这就是我喜欢她的地方
Alan, we're making a show of force in a high-profile matter.
艾伦,我们要在一个案子中高调露面
Could we trouble you to join us for a motion this morning?
能麻烦今早加入我们吗?
I'd love to.
我很想去
But, see, I have a client who hit his mother on the head with a skillet.
但你看,我有个当事人,用煎锅砸了母亲脑袋
We're trying to take her off life support.
我们正努力切断,她的生命维持系统
And the police have brought some nuisance action to try
但有警察讨厌的阻碍
to keep her breathing, buggers that they are.
想让她活下去,这帮混蛋
By the way, my fixtures remain available for further inspection.
我的设备随时,恭候你的进一步检查
Paul
保罗
He's funny.
他很有趣
Denny, may we borrow your prowess for a motion this morning?
丹尼,能否劳驾你参加今早的案子?
Why did you bring Shirley Schmidt back here?
你为什么把雪莉·施密特叫回来?
Because we need her.
因为我们需要她
Well, then, go borrow her prowess.
那就去劳驾她吧
It was a betrayal.
这是背叛
Calling her back here says I'm not enough.
让她回来,就是说我不够格
Can you get that?
你能理解吗?
I can.
我明白
Then why did you do it?
那为什么?
You're not enough.
你不够格
I still matter, my friend.
我还是有分量的,我的朋友
Yes, you do,
是的,你确实是
which is why I asked you to be present for this motion.
所以我需要你今天露面
There's another problem you don't even know about.
还有点你不了解
Which is?
什么?
That woman...
那个女人?
she's hot for me.
对我还很有吸引力
Certainly there's a state interest in preserving life, your honor.
国家以保护生命为首要,法官大人
If a patient wishes to refuse medical treatment based on religious practices...
如果病人因为宗教原因拒绝治疗...
First of all, we don't know that. Objection, your honor.
首先,我们不能确定这点,反对,法官大人
You can't preface your second point with "first of all."
你不能管第二个观点叫“首先”
This woman has forsaken Christian science.
这个女人已经放弃了基督科学教信仰
We have no assurance... According to her son,
我们不能保证?她的儿子证明了
she's recommitted herself... A son who might be a suspect
她已回归?如果裁定对方不合法
if we determine there was foul play. We're dealing with a potential homicide.
儿子也将有嫌疑,这很可能是一起谋杀案
Well, if the goal is to charge homicide, it makes little sense to keep the victim alive.
如果要指控谋杀,受害者更没必要活下去了
I could be wrong. I object to this smugness, your honor.
我也许说错了,我反对这种装模作样,法官大人
A human life is at stake here.
一条生命正悬于此地
The family of Della Ferrion is here today
Della Ferrion的家人今天就在这
saying it is her wish not to be kept alive on a respirator.
告诉我们她不愿依靠人工呼吸系统
And it is simply way too early to make that call. She could recover.
这个决定为时过早,她有可能会恢复
The suggestion that... The issue isn't recovery,
这种建议?关键不在于她是否能恢复
it's religious freedom, which is sacred in this country.
而是我们国家神圣的,宗教信仰自由
Unless, of course, you're muslim.
当然,除非你是穆斯林
I'm gonna have to cut you both off.
我要打断你们
We've just received word from the hospital.
我们刚刚收到医院来的消息
Mrs. Ferrion has evidently regained consciousness.
Ferrion夫人已明显恢复意识
Excellent.
很好
No comment. We have no comment at this time.
无可奉告,现在无可奉告
We'll be making a comment after the motion.
我们稍后将发表评论
Denny Crane Denny Crane. I eat cocoa puffs.
我吃可可酥
Denny Crane
丹尼·克兰
Cuckoo for cocoa puffs.
我为可可狂,
Denny Crane...
丹尼·克兰...
They're seeking damages for acts committed by a foreign government
他们企图追究的是他国政府
against a foreign citizenry.
对他国国民的行为
There's no jurisdiction here, no standing.
没有司法权,也没有立场
And even if there were,
即使有
any such lawsuit would be barred by sovereign immunity,
任何这样的起诉,都将因主权豁免被撤销
which prohibits the U.S. Government or its officials
从而避免美国政府及其官员
from being sued for foreign policy decisions.
因对外决策而被起诉
Ms. Colson, I have to agree. Ms. Colson
我必须同意这点
How do I not toss this on its face?
如此明显我怎能不裁决呢?
First,
首先
the United states government, through congress,
美国政府已通过国会
ratified the U.N. convention against genocide.
认可了联合国反种族屠杀公约
The government's current failure to stop the genocide in Sudan
政府对苏丹种族屠杀的这种不作为
violates both U.S. law and policy.
违背了美国的法律及政策
We have not failed, we have expended....
我们没有不作为,我们已经花费了...
You're arguing the merits, which I'm happy to do, but it means a trial.
如果你想辩论,我很乐意,但那要在庭审中
If a government begins a rescue operation
如果政府已经展开援助
which, in effect, stops other countries from pursuing that rescue,
从而造成其他国家不再施以援手
that government can be held liable for failing to complete that rescue.
这个政府就应为自己,未完成援助而负责
Never! Never has the United states government attempted any rescue mission in Sudan.
没有!美国政府从未在苏丹境内,进行任何援助行动
Your honor, may I?
法官大人,我可以说两句吗?
We know this lawsuit is a bit of a stretch.
我们知道这个案子有点勉强
You understate it. But the truth is,
你也知道,但事实上
our country puts it out there.
是我们的国家这样宣称
"We will root out terrorism wherever it thrives."
“我们将铲除任何地方所盛行的恐怖主义”
We elect our presidents on that theme.
我们也正以此选举着自己的总统
We go to war over it.
我们更因此投入战争
Wherever oppression abounds, we get involved.
只要有压迫,我们都不会袖手旁观
It's almost become a motto.
这几乎成为座右铭
No one here denies an ethnic genocide is taking place in Sudan.
这里没人否认苏丹正遭受着种族清洗
Arab militia are wiping out the black population of Darfur.
阿拉伯军队正在扫除,达尔富尔的黑色人种
Am I boring you?
让你感到无聊了?
Ms. Schmidt, the court recognizes the atrocity.
施密特女士,法庭承认暴行的存在
Why should the United states be held liable?
但美国政府为何要对此负责?
Well, if we're not going to do anything about it,
如果我们不打算做些什么
maybe we should just say so.
或许我们该直说
Lord knows the world will understand.
上帝知道世界会理解的
We've certainly got our hands full.
我们已经自顾不暇
But when our leaders do their bipartisan puffing,
但当我们的领导人,吹嘘着两党的共同决定
saying the genocide must stand
说种族灭绝必须停止
other countries think we're going to do something.
其他国家会认为我们准备采取行动
They then stay out of it. And in the end, nothing gets done.
所以他们都不插手,于是最后,什么也没发生
while millions of people are being persecuted.
任由数百万的人遭受迫害
Maybe as a compromise,
可以算是妥协方案
we could just get the U.S. government to declare for the record,
我们只要美国政府正式声明
"hey, not our problem."
“嘿,不关我们的事”
That way, the world would be on notice somebody else should play hero.
这样世界会知道,需要其他国家伸张正义
I could try to sell that to my client.
我可以说服委托人接受
Mr. Joiner? The United states response to an ethnic genocide is
Joiner先生,美国政府对种族屠杀的回应
certainly not gonna be "hey, not our problem."
当然不会是“嘿,不关我们的事”
See, this is how other countries get confused.
瞧,其他国家就这样给搞糊涂的
We're satisfied the judge took it under advisement.
我们很满意法官将会慎重考虑
It at least demonstrates a recognition on her part
至少表明她个人认同
that we have a colorable cause of action.
我们起诉的缘由有些道理
Did you understand a word that was said in there?
刚才说的你听懂了吗?
Just go with it.
别去计较了
Denny Crane. Trix are for kids.
丹尼·克兰,孩子们的Trix
Glad to meet you.
很高兴见到你们
Did he just say, "trix are for kids?"
他刚才是说“孩子们的Trix”?
He did.
他是这么说
She's very weak, of course, and quite sedated.
她很虚弱,麻醉还未失效
Can I talk to her?
我能和她说话吗?
For a minute or two. I'd like her to rest.
一两分钟,她需要休息
Mom?
妈妈?
Mom?
妈妈?
It's me.
是我
Bernard
伯纳德
Bernard
伯纳德
The doctors say you're gonna be just fine.
医生说你会好起来的
You just need to rest, mother.
你只是需要休息,妈妈
My Bernard.
我的伯纳德
He hit me on the head.
他砸了我的脑袋
I think with a skillet.
我想是用了一只煎锅
Ma...
妈?
what are you talking about?
你在说什么呢?
You fell.
你摔倒了
You tried to kill me.
你想要杀了我
She's a Chatty Cathy.
她是爱说话的凯西娃娃,
If we're going to work together, we should reach some kind of accord.
如果要一起工作,我们必须达成些一致
I don't wanna be working together. That's the whole point I'm trying to make.
我不想和你一起工作,这就是我一直在表达的
Can you tell me why? Well, first off, you're a Liberal.
你能告诉我为什么吗?首先,你是自由党人
Yes. Besides that?
是的,还有呢?
I figured out what you were doing in court today.
我知道你今天在法庭上做了什么
You were Bush-bashing. I assure you I wasn't.
你在抨击布什,我发誓不是
You made war comments.
你评论战争
When a Liberal makes comments about the war,
当自由党人发表关于战争的言论
they're Bush-bashing. It's un-American.
他们就在抨击布什,这不是美国人该做的
To criticize a president? While he's in office, yes.
因为批评总统?当他还在任时,是的
Denny, you and I go way back.
丹尼,你我又绕回来了
I know you.
我了解你
Your aversion to my return has nothing to do with politics.
你反对我回来和政治没关系
Can we talk about it?
可以谈谈到底为什么吗?
You left me, Shirley.
你离开了我,雪莉
Women don't leave Denny Crane.
女人不会离开丹尼·克兰
And for a secretary?
还只是为了个部长?
It was the Secretary of Defense.
是国防部长
It doesn't matter. I have an image.
这无关紧要,我有我的形象
One could even say I'm, I'm all image.
甚至说,我就是形象
One could.
是可以这么说
Imagine the fun working together again.
想想又能一起工作的乐趣
It won't be fun.
不可能
There's only room for one at the mountaintop.
顶峰上只能站一个人
It's my mountain.
这是我的山峰
Denny...
丹尼...
The judge just called us back.
法官刚刚传唤我们
Already?
这么快?
Is there any way that could be a good sign?
有没有可能是好兆头?
I was hoping to at least survive till the 6:00 news.
我原希望至少捱到晚间六点新闻
He called the police?
他报警了?
I'm afraid so. What do I do? What do I do?
我想是的,我该怎么办?我该怎么办?
Well, Brazil come back to mind.
我又想到巴西了
Bernie, listen to me,
伯尼,听我说
if you were overcome, like you say, when this happened...
如果当时你过激了,就像你说的
I was. I, I obviously had problems with her, Mr. Shore,
是这样的,我虽然对她有意见,肖尔先生
but I truly never intended to kill her.
但我从没想要杀她
I did not conscious...
我并不是有意的?
If we could show heat of passion...
如果能表明是一时冲动的...
I never broken a law in my life. She just got me so enraged.
我一生中从未犯过法,只是她让我太生气了
God...
上帝?
my life is over.
我的人生完了
Mr. Ferrion What?
Ferrion先生,什么事?
I, uh,
我,额
I'm very sorry to tell you,
我很抱歉通知您
your mother has passed away.
你的母亲刚刚去世了
I beg your pardon?
什么?
She went back to sleep, and she just quietly passed.
她入睡后就安静的走了
To be honest,
说实话
I might have a hard time finding Sudan on a map.
要在地图上找苏丹不容易
I certainly know they've got big problems,
我当然也知道他们的艰难境况
innocent people murdered every day, systemic rape, many of them children.
无辜生命每天惨遭杀害,大规模的强奸,许多还是孩子
It's the worst humanitarian crisis in the world.
是世界上最严重的人道主义灾难
Please don't say "but."
可别说“但是”
But...
但是?
why does every crisis automatically fall to the United states to solve?
为什么每个灾难,都等着美国去解决
We've got Iraq, Iran, North Korea.
我们有伊拉克问题,伊朗问题,北朝鲜问题
and these are people who might murder us.
还有人想要杀害我们
We're supposed to tend to a bunch of Africans killing each other?
我们还要去掺和,非洲人的互相厮杀吗?
Why? Because we're Americans?
为什么?因为我们是美国人?
The answer is...
回答是?
yes.
是的
Because we're Americans.
因为我们是美国人
Because we're a nation, perhaps the nation,
因为我们是一个,或许也该那个
that's supposed to give a damn.
会给予谴责的国家
What's going on is an organized extermination of an entire race of people.
现在所发生的是,有组织的灭绝全人类的种族
We're the country that's supposed to give a damn.
我们就该是插手的国家
Ms. Schmidt Ms. Colson
施密特女士,科尔森小姐
your claim here most likely won't survive some re-judgment and,
你们的诉求,可能很难通过二审
maybe the American people don't care about what's happening over there, but,
美国人也许不在乎那里,发生了什么,但是
for today, here, now,
今天,这里,此刻
at least one federal court judge does.
至少一个联邦法官,在乎
Defendant's motion to dismiss...
被告不予受理的请求...
Denied!
驳回
Can't believe it.
难以置信
Neither can I.
我也是
I thought perhaps I'd be relieved if she died.
我以为她死了,我会解脱
But the truth is, um,
但事实上是
she's all I really had.
她是我的一切
I lived with her.
我和她一起生活
I can't believe she's gone.
不敢相信她就这么去了
She looks at peace.
她看上去很安详
Though she did on the kitchen floor as well.
和她在厨房地上一样
Mr. Shore, can you make room for the possibility Mr. Shore
您能相信吗
that I both killed my mother,
我杀了自己的母亲
and I'm devastated with losing her?
同时又为失去她痛不欲生吗?
I can.
我理解
I'm so sorry.
我非常抱歉
Mother, I'm so sorry.
妈妈,我很抱歉
Bernard Ferrion
Bernard Ferrion.
That's me.
我是
Kidding.
开玩笑
I'm Bernard Ferrion.
我是Bernard Ferrion
You're under arrest for the murder of Della Ferrion.
你因涉嫌谋杀Della Ferrion被逮捕
Please place our hands behind your back.
请将双手放到背后
Yes, sir. You have the right to remain silent. -
是的,警官,你有权保持沉默
Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.
你所说的一切将成为呈堂证供
You have the right to hire an attorney and have him present before any questioning.
你有权请律师,并在讯问时要求他在场
If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed to you by the courts.
如果你负担不起律师,法庭将为你指派一名
You just waive your right to be silent, make a statement...
你放弃在供诉前保持沉默的权利?
32611, commonwealth vs Ferrion, charge of murder in the first.
联邦32611号,控告Ferrion一级谋杀
Alan Shore appearing for the defendant. We'll waive reading.
艾伦·肖尔辨方律师,开门见山
I'd ask that my client be released on his own recognizance.
我请求允许当事人保释自己
Opposed, the man is charged with homicide.
反对,这个人被指控谋杀
Bail would certainly... He has no record, your honor.
保释应当?他没有前科,法官大人
He would be a threat to society. Nonsense.
他对社会造成威胁,一派胡言
He only kills mothers, allegedly. And he's fresh out of them.
他只杀了自己的母亲,对方说的,还只是初犯
Bail is set at $1 million. Let's conference tomorrow at 9:00 A.M.
保释金一百万,明天早上9点开会
We'll set up a trial schedule.
安排审讯计划
Wait, one second your honor.
等等,法官大人
It seems there's been a terrible mistake.
似乎有个严重的错误
My client never should have been arrested.
我的当事人不该被捕
Because? There's no evidence.
因为?没有证据
According to the police report,
根据警方报告
there's been no determination of cause of death, no witnesses.
死因未定,也没有证人
The victim identified the defendant as the killer.
被害人证实被告就是凶手
That would be hearsay. It was a dying declaration,
那是传闻,是被害人的遗言
and therefore an exception to the hearsay rule.
属于传闻证据否定法的例外
For the dying declaration exception to apply,
遗言要被采用
the declarant must know he or she is about to die when making the statement.
立遗言人在做表述时,必须知道自己将要死去
Mrs. Ferrion was told by the doctor she was gonna survive.
而Mrs. Ferrion被医生告知,可以活下去
She never thought for a second she was gonna die.
她没想到过自己会死
Even so, your honor,
即使如此,法官大人
for her to incriminate her own son would be a declaration against her interest,
指控自己儿子的罪行有背她的利益
which would also qualify as an exception to the hearsay rule.
这也符合传闻证据否定法的例外
I refer your honor to officer Coulier's...
法官大人,请看Coulier警官在
interviews with the neighbors noted at the bottom of the page.
此页底部记录的,和周围邻居的谈话
"Mr. Ferrion was reportedly verbally abused by his mother."
“据反映,Ferrion先生经常被母亲羞辱”
"She would blame himfor anything that went wrong in her life."
"她将生活中所有不顺,归咎于儿子"
Well, here again, she was blaming him for the bump on her head.
你看,又一次,她将自己撞破脑袋,算到了儿子帐上
It was not a declaration against her interests,
这不是有违她利益的陈述
but just more of the same.
只是和往常一样
The court cannot be satisfied as to its reliability.
法庭不能采信
The hearsay rule very much applies.
绝对适用传闻证据否定
Is this all you've got, the statement of the victim?
你们只有这个,受害者的陈述?
We'll get more.
我们会找到更多的
Well, when you do, you can refile. Right now you've got nothing.
那等你找到了再来吧,现在你什么也没有
The victim's statement is inadmissible.
被害人陈述不足采信
The charges against Mr. Ferrion are dismissed without prejudice.
对Ferrion先生的控告驳回
I can't believe it. I just, I can't believe it.
我不敢相信,我真是不敢相信
It's been an exciting week. Do you think they'll be back for me? -
真是刺激的一周,你认为他们再找上我吗?
Frankly, Bernie, I don't think they'll get the evidence,
坦白地说,伯尼,我不认为他们找得到证据
which, I can see, brings you right back to.
把你逮回去
I can't believe it.
我不敢相信
May I say something else?
我能说几句吗?
I see in you, Bernie, an innately kind person.
在我看来,伯尼,你的天性善良
A man whose docile, gentle nature
温顺,温和
was worn down by a relentlessly mean, dark-hearted woman.
却被一个苛刻,刻薄,黑心肠的女人慢慢耗尽了
I could be wrong, but...
也许我错了,但?
I'm hoping...
我希望?
it's the kind, gentle person who goes on from here,
今天从这离开的,是个善良温顺的人
not the one who swung that skillet.
而不是挥舞着煎锅的暴徒
I promise you with all my heart.
我向你发誓
You don't have to worry about that.
你不必担心
Bernie
伯尼
through your grief, which I know is very real,
我能体会你悲伤的真切
try to see this as an opportunity.
但试着将它看成一次机会
For once, finally,
终于,有这么一天
you get to live your life free of mother.
你可以摆脱母亲,过自己的生活
Now, international news.
现在是国际新闻
According to the United nations secretary general Kofi Annan,
联合国秘书长科菲.安南表示
one in three people in Darfur now requires lifesaving assistance,
三分之一的达尔富尔人民急需救助
due to either violence or malnutrition.
因为受到暴力伤害及营养不良
Efforts to negotiate a peaceful solution to the underlying...
和平解决的谈判努力针对潜在?
What you doing?
你在干吗?
Watching the news.
看新闻
CBS just declared Bush the winner.
CBS刚宣布布什获胜
Cheers. Cheers.
干杯,干杯
I see our little case is getting play.
我看见这案子正发生作用
You think it could actually make a difference?
你认为它真能改变什么吗?
I remember reading when the press went to Bosnia,
我记得媒体到波斯尼亚时
people rejoiced at the sight of American media.
那里的人见到他们都欢欣鼓舞
They figured if word got out, something would be done,
他们相信只要消息传出去,就会有人来干涉
murders and rapes would stop.
来制止那里的谋杀与强奸
They waited...
他们等呀等?
and they waited...
等呀等?
and nobody came.
然而没有人来
Maybe we need Sudan to attack us.
也许苏丹袭击我们就好了
We might fall short as humanitarians, but we're pretty good avengers.
我们或许称不上人道主义者,但至少算是优秀的复仇家
If you don't mind, I'll cling to the idea we're still pretty decent humanitarians.
我坚持认为咱们还是,不错的人道主义者
What's that?
那是什么?
I don't know. I thought it was from you. I was waiting to open it.
不知道,我以为你送的,我还没打开
It's not from me.
不是我送的
"Objects in mirror are bigger than they appear."
“镜中的事物比实际要大”
He's funny.
他很有趣
He's also trouble, isn't he?
他也是个麻烦,不是吗?
She's big trouble.
她是个大麻烦
Did she break your heart?
她伤了你的心?
She might have.
也许吧
So what?
这又怎么样?
I've had my heart broken lots of times.
我的心被伤过无数次了
It stings for a minute.
就疼一会儿
I would think it would be fun to have her back.
我会认为她回来,是件很有趣的事
I don't know about you, but when I travel,
不知道你怎么看,但当我旅行时
going to new places isn't always as interesting
去新地方总比不上
as revisiting some of the old ones.
故地重游有意思
What is it that has you so balled up?
什么让你这么畏首畏尾?
She isn't slipping, that's what.
她没有变老,这是关键
You're worried about her seeing you age?
你担心她发现你老了?
You might not believe this.
你也许不会相信
But I was once a very remarkable man.
但我曾是个非常出众的男人
Denny
丹尼
Denny
丹尼
You're a remarkable man.
你是个非常出众的男人
Between you and me,
你知我知,我告诉你
that woman is too much for me.
我配不上这个女人
Between you and me,
你知我知
we'll take her.
我们会搞定她的
I'd like that.
我喜欢这个
I'd like that.
我喜欢这个