The trial starts tomorrow.
明天就开审了
I can bring you up to speed on it. The facts are straightforward.
我会让你很快进入状态,事情很简单
And why can't Tara do it?
为什么不让塔拉做?
Well, Tara's a junior associate.
塔拉级别太低
This trial's gonna be in the news. It's hardly the kind of case that...
新闻会转播这次的审判,这种案子很难?
Brad, it isn't the case so much as it is the client, right? Brad
比起案子本身,重要的是客户,对吗?
And it isn't who she is so much as what she is, right?
同样,比起她是谁,重要的是她怎么了,对吗?
What is she, Brad?
她究竟怎么了,布拉德?
Can't you even say the word?
你一句话都说不出?
I can say it. Well, what is she, Brad?
我当然能说,那么,她怎么了,布拉德?
She's a...
她是个?
homosexual.
同性恋
And what's the word for a female homosexual?
女性同性恋是哪个单词呢?
Lesbian. I couldn't really hear that.
女同性恋,我听不到
She's a lesbian!
她是个拉拉,
You don't want to do the case because your client's a lesbian.
你不想接这个案子,就因为客户是拉拉
Lori, this is a high-profile case. Lori
这个案子广受瞩目
I have worked my entire life to associate with decency and what is good for America.
我毕生都致力于,正派且对美国有益的事情
And lesbians are bad for America.
而女同性恋对美国不利
They have bad values.
她们有害无益
Reflects poorly on all of us.
折射出我们丑恶面
As a nation.
从国家来看
Now, would you like to tell me the real reason?
现在能说真正的原因了吗
What do you mean?
什么意思?
I know for a fact you've represented gay clients before.
我知道你代理过男同性恋
Not on television, not in the news.
不是在电视上,也没在新闻里
Brad, we're friends. Brad
我们是朋友
Level with me.
说实话
What is it about this particular lesbian?
这个拉拉有什么特殊?
I'm attracted to her.
我迷上她了
Why does Shirley get to skip the staff meetings?
为什么雪莉能不开会
She's got a trial in New York later this week, so she has a busy day.
下半周她要在纽约上庭,今天她忙得很
Some of us have trials today,
我们这有人今天就要上庭
so if you don't mind, I'd like to cut out.
如果你不介意,我想消失了
What's your case about, Brad?
什么案子,布拉德?
What is it about?
是关于什么的
It involves interference with contractual relations.
是关于干预契约关系
You mean...
你的意思是?
lesbians.
拉拉,
Where are you?
进行到哪了?
Today they're calling Tracey to testify that her ex-lover was...
今天他们传唤特蕾西,要证明她前爱人是?
lesbian ex-lover.
前同性爱人
To testify that Tracey was scamming her for money.
要证明特蕾西在设计骗她的钱
Tracey was, in fact, not an actual bona fide...
而特蕾西实际上并非真正的
lesbian?
拉拉?
You like saying it. I do.
你很喜欢这词,我很喜欢
Say it again. Lesbian.
那就再说一遍,拉拉
Keep going. Lesbian, lesbian...
继续说,拉拉,拉拉
lesbian.
拉拉
All together now.
现在大家一起说
Lesbian.
拉拉
I also like to watch. How many people are lesbian?
我还想看看,多少人是拉拉
All right, that's enough. This is a staff meeting.
好了,够了,现在是在开会
I'll ask you all to conduct yourselves appropriately and professionally.
我希望大家注意自己的,言行得体和专业
Cookies, everyone.
饼干来了
Nourishment is most important in the morning.
早上的营养最重要
Who is this woman? Take two, Tara.
这个女人是谁? 多拿两块,塔拉
You're a rail. Who is this woman?
你简直是根竹竿,这个女人是谁?
The ones on the left have a little bran
左边那些掺了点麦麸
to help our older lawyers with their routine.
有助于上年纪的律师日常排泄
Who is this woman?
这个女人是谁?
I'm Catherine Piper. I'm Alan's new assistant.
我叫凯瑟琳·派珀,是艾伦的新助手
My, don't you have an interesting face.
你长像可真逗
We are in the middle of a staff meeting.
我们正在开会
No need to be snippy, dear,
别这么暴躁,亲爱的
especially since I come bearing treats.
尤其我还在招待大家
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
你只有一次机会,留下第一印象
You certainly make one...
你留下的当然是...
with all that bleach.
满头褪色的头发
Ma'am, you will have to leave. Ma'am
你必须离开了
I'm beginning to not like you.
我已经开始不喜欢你了
Well, if you'll excuse me, I have a trial myself.
对不起,我还有个案子要上庭
You have a trial?
你要上庭?
Yes, tomorrow morning.
是的,明天早上
I've got to go meet with my client. What kind of trial?
我要去见我的客户了,哪种类型的案子
Criminal.
犯罪的
It's a doctor who did...
是个医生,做了?
something against the law.
一些违法的事
Who else is with you on this trial?
还有谁参加这案子
Nobody. I decided to fly solo.
没有,我决定单飞
Think about that.
想象一下
Tell Shirley.
转告雪莉
Denny Crane without a co-pilot.
丹尼·克兰不带副驾驶单飞
Dear god in heaven.
亲爱的上帝啊
Shirley
雪莉
Alan Alan. You're in the men's room again.
你又在男厕所了
I need a favor.
我要你帮忙
Certainly. My stall or yours?
当然,去我那间还是你的?
Driving into work this morning,
早上开车来
I heard of a trial involving this new wonder diet drug.
我听到有场官司,关于神奇的减肥新药
The drug, and accordingly the trial, are making the news,
这种药借着官司倒成新闻
and then I heard something very disturbing.
同时我听到个让人困扰的消息
The name of the lawyer handling the defense.
辩护律师的名字是
Denny Crane. Nobody wants this firm held up to ridicule.
丹尼·克兰,没人希望公司被羞辱
Nobody wants Denny exposed.
没人希望丹尼抛头露面
I've been in court with Denny.
我和丹尼一起上过庭
He knows what he's doing at least 50% of the time.
至少一半时间,他知道自己在做什么
I like him, you like him.
我喜欢他,你喜欢他
I have to be in New York.
我必须在纽约
If she tries to pee standing up, come and get me.
如果她打算站着嘘嘘,记得通知我
Lock and load.
发射
Tracey, we can still make this go away.
特蕾西,事情还有转寰的余地
How many times must you both say that?
你们究竟要重复多少遍?
Until you consider it.
直到你肯考虑
Are you sure you want your personal life probed with details at 11:00?
你真愿意自己的隐私,过会就被问得一清二楚
I didn't steal from her,
我没有偷她东西
and I won't offer her anything to settle.
我不会向她让步庭外和解
I'd appreciate you being on my side.
我很感激你支持我
Hey, we're on your side. All right. Hey
我们是你这边的,那就好 嘿
We met at an AIDS fundraiser about two years ago.
两年前我们在爱滋病基金的,募捐活动上认识
We were both publicists, so we had a lot in common.
我们都是做广告的,有许多共同语言
And at some point, Ms. Rogers, you and the defendant became lovers?
也就是说,罗杰斯女士,你和被告成了情侣?
Yes. She moved into my home.
是的,她搬进了我家
Ultimately, we became business partners and formed Rogers and Green,
最终我们成了生意伙伴,并且成立了罗杰斯和格林
which became one of the top P.R. firms in Boston.
波士顿顶尖公关公司之一
And what happened?
后来呢?
Well, quite simply, after she gained access to my files and my clients,
很简单,当她能接触到我的客户档案
she stole them. Objection.
就偷了它们,反对
Sustained.
有效
I since learned that she's not even gay, that she basically pretended to be
后来我才知道她不是同性恋,她是装的
so that she could gain access to my clientoster.
这样就能得到我的客户了
Now, Ms. Rogers, when you allege that the defendant pretended to be gay...
罗杰斯女士,当你宣称被告假装成同志
She had boyfriends before me and one after.
之前她有男朋友,之后又有一个
Perhaps that makes her bisexual. It doesn't make any difference,
或许她是双性恋,但这不能成为理由
because I specifically asked her that at the beginning of our relationship.
因为我们确立关系前,我明确的问过她
Whether she was bisexual. Yes.
是不是双性恋? 是的
I'd been hurt before by heterosexual women experimenting,
我曾被正常女人的,同性恋试验伤害过
and I didn't want to go down that road again.
我不想重蹈覆辙
She told me she was gay.
她说她是同性恋
That was a lie, one that cost me valuable clients.
这是谎言,让我失去了宝贵的客户
Just let me understand this.
如你所说
The basis of your claim is that my client faked her sexual orientation
你认为我的当事人,在性取向上骗了你
for the sole purpose of getting you to fall in love with her
目的仅仅是为了,让你爱上她
so she could move into your home and business and steal your clients.
这样就能进入你的家,你的事业,偷走你的客户
Yes. When, in fact, it wasn't only your business.
是的, 事实上,这不只是你的事业
You built it up together over the two years.
是你们两年中共同建立的
I founded the company,
我创办了公司
and most of the clients that she left with were mine.
她带走的大部分客户也是我的
Now, Ms. Rogers, as business partners, as a couple, you two were quite prominent.
罗杰斯女士,作为拍档,作为恋人,你俩都很杰出
Isn't that right? Your photos were constantly in the "Globe" or "Boston" magazine,
没错吧?你的照片经常出现在, "环球"或,"波士顿"杂志上
being called the new "it girls".
被誉为漂亮女人
You two got more publicity than your clients.
你俩在公开场合露面,比你们的客户还要多
It worked to the clients' benefit as well,
这对客户同样有好处
so I don't see your point.
我不明白你想说什么
Well, my point is that you two got a lot of publicity together as a couple.
我想说你们俩,经常恩爱的出现在公众场合
Business just went through the roof.
而生意也好得惊人
Even if you were defrauded, it wasn't exactly to your financial detriment.
即使你真的被骗了,也谈不上经济损失
It was certainly to my detriment when she left.
她离开的确给我带来了损失
Well, but even so, you make more money now than you
就算如此,你现在赚的
did before even meeting Tracey, so how could you have been hurt?
比认识Tracey前多得多,怎么能算被伤害呢?
How have I been hurt?
我怎么能算被伤害?
She caused me to fall in love with her. That...
她让我爱上她,那...
That's what this is really about, isn't it, Ms. Rogers?
那才是问题所在,对吗,罗杰斯女士?
This isn't a business dispute. This is a domestic one.
这不是经济纠纷,而是你们的家务事
Did she break your heart? Objection.
她让你心碎了吗? 反对
I'll allow it.
继续
Did she break your heart?
她让你心碎了吗?
Yes.
是的
You were in love with her.
你爱上了她
Now, Ms. Rogers...
现在,罗杰斯女士...
during the two years that you were together with my client,
和我的委托人,共同度过的两年里
do you feel that she was in love with you?
你觉得她爱你吗?
Yes.
是的
Obviously, should I get a criminal conviction,
很明显,难道我该认罪
that will only make it easier for the AMA to take away my medical license.
那只会让美国医学会轻松的,吊销我的行医执照
Well, you're gonna lose your license, Bob,
你执照保住不了,鲍勃
so I wouldn't worry about it. Why?
所以我压根不考虑这个,为什么?
There are many doctors out there prescribing medication the FDA hasn't approved for...
外面有一大堆医生,开的处方药是未经FDA许可的
Can I stop you?
打断一下
Don't be self-righteous. It's annoying.
别想当然了,让人很不爽
Sorry I'm late.
抱歉,我迟到了
What are you doing here?
你来做什么?
You asked me to second chair, Denny. Remember?
你让我来帮忙的,丹尼,记得吗?
Alan Shore. Bob Mclean.
艾伦·肖尔,鲍勃·麦克林
Alan.
艾伦
I never asked you to second chair. Sure you did, Denny.
我从没叫你帮忙,你肯定有,丹尼
You said you were trying the case...
你说你接了个案子?
Solo.
单干
I said solo.
我说了单干
Well, I thought you asked for backup, so I guess one of us is losing our mind.
反正我记得你要了后援,所以我们有一个失忆了
What do you mean by that?
你什么意思
Denny, I'm here.
丹尼,我在这里
As you know, I'm starved for criminal work.
如你所知,我对案子充满饥渴
I want to do this alone.
我想一个人解决
Is this about proving something?
是为了证明什么吗
You said tell Shirley.
你曾说要转告雪莉
Is this about proving to Shirley Schmidt you han't slipped?
是为了向雪莉·施密特证明你还行是吗?
Excuse me. I'm in a meeting.
不好意思,我在开会
Denny, I don't have time to say this nicely, Denny
我没时间委婉地表达
so I'm just gonna say it with all the rough edges.
所以我有话直说了
This is a criminal proceeding. That man's liberty could be at stake.
这是个刑事案,这个男人的自由危在旦夕
I'm jumping in second chair to cover his ass,
我主动献身来保全他
and, yes, possibly yours as well.
还有,就是,保全你
Could it be possible she's doing this for the publicity?
她这么做会不会是炒作?
Suing me?
告我?
Well, call me a cynic, but for two years, you're the it girls.
可能是我偏见,可两年来你们是潮流
You're Boston's top publicists.
是波士顿最红的公众人物
Business starts to wane,
事业开始走下坡
you leave, she's suddenly not the flavor of the month.
你离开了,她突然间不再风靡一时
She sues you, presto, hot copy is the split girls all over again.
她告了你,一转眼,单飞女人又成热点
For the cost of attorney and filing fee, she's featured on every news cast.
比起诉讼费和律师费,她的形象充斥在新闻里
As much as she loves the limelight, Stephanie's honorable.
她喜欢引人注目,属于斯蒂芬妮的荣耀
I wonder.
我猜也是非颠倒
Is there a reason you keep looking at me like that?
为什么你那样盯着我?
Like what?
什么样?
I make you nervous.
我让你紧张了
You need to get over that.
你得克服
So how many men have you been with?
你跟多少男人交往过
Why are you asking?
你干吗问这个
I asked her because she's going to be asked on the stand
我问她因为,在庭上她也会被问到
why she has such a hard time giving me a straight answer.
为什么她不能直截了当的回答
However...
然而?
It's because...
这是因为?
I have doubts that she really is one.
我怀疑她是否真的是
A homosexual.
同性恋
Yes.
是的
And are these doubts based on the plaintiff's evidence
这些怀疑是因为原告的证据
or your own scientific compass?
还是你个人的想法
Is she attracted to you, Brad?
布拉德,她被你迷住了?
She might be.
可能是吧
What?
怎么了?
Why is it men...
为什么男人?
I mean, is it the idea of losing one to the other side,
我是说,你是不想输给另一个女人
or is it since you have feelings for her, you're anxious to believe it's mutual?
还是你对她有感觉,于是你期望她也有
You see...
你看
you sucker me with this buddy talk, get me to reveal my feelings,
你总用话来套我,让我吐露心声
and when I do, you punish me with them.
我真说了,你又拿它来刺我
I thought you were attracted to me.
我还觉得,自己迷住你了呢
You don't want to go there.
别再说了
Even so, to be forgotten so easily, and for a homosexual...
就算这样,要忘记也容易,可如果是同性恋...
is there something taped to my forehead that says "mock me"?
我额头上贴着:"请嘲笑我"吗?
Isn't coffee a lovely drug?
咖啡真是种诱人的毒药
I love brain stimulants, don't you?
我喜欢它们刺激大脑,你们呢?
Catherine Pipe
凯瑟琳·派珀
Brad Chase
布拉德·沙斯
Brad chase. You're defending the lesbian.
布拉德·沙斯,替拉拉辩护的那个
Hi. I'm Lori Colson. We haven't officially met.
嗨,我是洛里·科尔森,我们还没正式介绍过
Hello, dear. Catherine Piper.
亲爱的,凯瑟琳·派珀
For the future, I don't really appreciate comments about my hair.
还有,我不喜欢你评论我的头发
Oh. I'm sorry.
对不起
I was just trying to make conversation,
我只想随便找个话题
and I assumed you wouldn't want me to go anywhere near your eyebrows.
而且我猜如果评论你眉毛那,你会更不乐意
I tried diets, all of them.
我吃减肥药,无数种
I exercised.
我锻炼
I'd gone on fen-phen years ago,
几年前我还用过芬芬类减肥药,
and that helped a little,
但是都收效甚微
but mainly, I just kept getting bigger.
关键是,我还在不断的变胖
And at some point, the defendant mentioned a new drug.
于是,被告建议了一种新药
Yes. I forgot how he said he had access to it,
是的,我忘记他说药怎么来的
but basically, he said he had this new drug,
但他说自己有这种新药
not on the market yet called Ramonibend,
还没上市,叫Ramonibend
and studies showed how it could help people lose weight.
研究表明它有助于减肥
Desperate as I was, I just said yes.
我已经绝望了,我就说好的
He sold you this drug in his office.
他在办公室里给你这药?
Yes, and he told me not to tell anyone
是的,还让我别说出去
because he said it was illegal for him to be giving it to me.
因为他说了这是违法的
Thank you, Mr. Harrison.
谢谢你,哈里森先生
I can't help but notice you're really fat.
我忍不住想说你实在很胖
Yes.
是的
You been fatter? Much.
你更胖了? 胖了很多
Drug worked. Huge.
药有效了, 非常
I mean, I lost weight, my cholesterol went down,
我的意思是,我变轻了,胆固醇下降了
my HDL actually went up.
我的HDL上升了,
I mean, it was a godsend.
这是上天的恩赐
Of course, till the...
当然,直到?
you know, police cut off my supplier.
警察切断了供应商
Objection to the word "supplier," your honor.
反对"供应商"一词,法官大人
It makes my client sound like a drug dealer.
这让我的当事人像药贩子
He is a drug dealer. He sold him drugs.
他是药贩子,他把药卖给了他
Yes, but there's a bias that goes to the word "dealer."
是的,但"贩子"一词是贬义的
He simply prescribed him medicine to help him live.
他只是开了处方想救他
He's right.
他是对的
This man almost died.
这人就要没命了
Didn't he? Didn't you?
不是吗? 是吗?
I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes.
我有高血压,高胆固醇,糖尿病
I mean, I was at serious risk for a major heart attack or a stroke.
我的意思是,我很可能突发心脏病或中风
Probably still am.
包括现在
Since you stopped taking the drug?
那你停药后呢?
I'm having problems again.
这些问题又回来了
Did my client tell you that this drug is unapproved by the FDA?
我的委托人告诉过你,这药未经FDA许可吗?
Yes.
是的
Did he tell you that, uh,
他告诉过你
there could be side effects? Yes.
会有副作用吗? 是的
You were fully informed. I was.
你全知道? 是的
You consented. I did.
你还是答应了? 是的
Take it again? Absolutely.
再说一次? 是的
Like the doctor. Love him.
喜欢这个医生? 我爱他
How's your memory? My memory's fine.
你记性好吗? 很好
Denny Crane. What's my name?
丹尼·克兰,我叫什么?
Denny Crane! Like you mean it.
丹尼·克兰,凶一点
Denny Crane! What's my name?
丹尼·克兰!我的名字叫什么?
No further questions.
我问完了
Stephanie Rogers is essentially accusing Ms. Green
史蒂芬妮·罗杰斯控告格林女士
of being a heterosexual in sheep's clothing.
不怀好意假扮同性恋
If successful, the plaintiff could potentially receive a judgment in excess of seven figures.
如果成功,原告可能获得7位数赔偿
Which is why perhaps...
也就是为什么可能?
Wait, she wasn't finished.
等等,还没完呢
Doesn't matter how it's playing out in public, Tracey.
公众舆论无足轻重,特蕾西
What matters are the 12 people in that box.
陪审席的12个人才是关键
And?
还有呢?
I can't tell.
我不能说
Well, you've dated more men than women,
你约会过的男人比女人多
so that puts you on the heterosexual side of the fence.
这让你更像异性恋那边的
You certainly could have been confused, as they said,
也许你自己也混乱了
but the problem is you're coming off as anything but indecisive.
但问题是,你怎么看也不像糊涂人
You seem like a woman who knows exactly what you want.
你看起来头脑总是清醒的
What is that supposed to mean?
这又怎么样呢?
Nothing.
没什么
You actually think that I'm attracted to you.
你真的认为我迷上你了
I just believe you should be straight with people.
我只是觉得你可以坦诚点
You know what I mean.
你看
I smell some deceit here.
我觉得你有所隐瞒
I'm gay, Brad.
我是个同性恋,布拉德
Do you want me to take a lie detector?
要我去测谎给你看吗
People lament the cost of health care.
人们抱怨医疗费用的巨额
They cry over soaring litigation costs
哭诉诉讼费用的高昂
and scream about the eroding integrity of our medical profession.
悲哀医疗专业的腐败
The conduct of this doctor and others like him are to blame.
这个医生的行为,所有这样的医生,都该被谴责
Oh, lighten up, man. Mr. Crane, you'll get your turn.
哦,乐观点嘛,克兰先生,会轮到你发言的
We have rules.
我们有规矩
One is we do not go prescribing experimental drugs
其中之一就是,绝对不用仍在试验中
that the FDA hasn't approved for market.
FDA还未认可的药物
Even if the patient consents?
即使病人同意?
The patient will always follow the lead of his doctor.
病人总是听医生的
For god's sake, look what people buy off infomercials.
上帝,看看人们对导购节目疯狂
They'll try anything,
他们什么都愿意尝试
hair potions, pills that make you lose weight while you sleep.
轻松亮发剂,睡觉减肥片
Desperate people will try anything,
绝望的人什么都会试
and when you have a licensed doctor saying "here, take this," they will.
当执业医师说:"用这个"他们就会用
This isn't a potion. This drug works.
这不是试剂,这药很有疗效
In preliminary studies, but there's much, much more testing to be done.
只是初步的研究,还有很多很多的测试要做
How long does it take the FDA to approve a drug?
FDA认可药物通常要多久
It isn't quick, but...
不是很快,但?
How long?
多久?
Nine years.
9年
My client's patient would be dead by then.
那时当事人可能已经死了
But, hey, you've got your rules.
但,无所谓,是有规矩的
Objection. Oh, be quiet.
反对,安静
Your honor, he can't tell me to be quiet.
法官大人,他无权叫我安静
Let him have his turn, Mr. Zale.
让他继续吧,Zale先生
You say that doctors shouldn't prescribe non-FDA-approved drugs as a rule.
你说照规定,医生不能用未经FDA许可的药
Yes. Doctors don't prescribe medications
是的,医生的处方中从不用
for things that the FDA hasn't approved them for.
还没有被FDA许可的药
Off-label prescriptions happen, but...
也有非核准药物,但...
Doctor, have you ever prescribed a drug
医生,你是否有过
that wasn't approved for the particular condition you were treating?
以非核准适应症开立处方
Yes, but... and, doctor,
是的,但是? 那么,医生
if you were overweight
如果你超重了
and at risk for an imminent stroke or heart attack,
并可能突发中风或心脏病
is it your testimony that you would never consider taking Ramonibend?
你敢不敢说,绝对不会考虑服用Ramonibend?
For myself, I might, but...
对自己的话,可能会,但是...
but you wouldn't give your patient
但你不会给病人
the same opportunity
即使情况相同
because you have rules.
因为你们有规定
You're going to be the first lawyer sued by his client for sexual harassment.
你会是第一个被当事人起诉性骚扰的律师
I'm a good lawyer because I got a nose for the truth, Lori.
我是个好律师,因为我能察觉真相,洛里
You're attracted to her, Brad. It's clouding your nose.
你被她吸引了,布拉德,这影响了你的判断
Are you falling in love with this woman?
你爱上这个女人了吗?
What? Please.
什么?拜托
Are you? Of course not.
爱上了吗? 当然没有
I put a tail on her.
我跟踪了她
I beg your pardon?
你说什么?
I hired a P.I. just to follow her around, see who she sees.
我请了私家侦探跟踪她,查查她在见谁
What she sees.
见什么性别的
You're trying to out her as a heterosexual.
你想证明她是异性恋
I don't like surprises in court.
我不想在法庭上有意外
Okay, first, you could lose your bar ticket for putting a P.I...
好吧,首先,找私人侦探,你的执照会被吊销...
Why? It's not that big of a deal. Brad, she's your client.
为什么?又没什么大不了的,布拉德,她是你的当事人
Second, let the jury decide whether or not she's being truthful.
其次,真假让陪审团判断
You just be her lawyer and only, and third...
你只是她的律师,还有第三...
Stop hitting on her.
别再惹她了
Hey, Brad.
嘿,布拉德
All together now.
大家一起说
Lesbian.
拉拉
Boys...
孩子们
how's our trial going?
你们的案子如何了?
You think I'm just gonna wither up and die in there, don't you?
你认定我会先衰再败对吧?
All these references to our sex life, Denny.
倒能这么形容,我们的性生活,丹尼
Tell her how I'm doing, Alan.
告诉她我干的如何,艾伦
Please, since he can't recall.
劳驾,他应该不记得了
He's been amazing.
他的表现令人惊异
I'd say we have a better-than-even chance.
我认为前景极为乐观
Hello
嗨
Hello
嗨
Is there a reason you're snuggled up to me?
你不会无缘无故贴着我吧?
Well, yes.
当然
I understand you're the boss, dear.
你是老板,亲爱的
I'm sucking up.
我在拍马屁
By standing next to me.
通过站我旁边?
Yes.
是的
With me by your side, dear, you almost look young.
亲爱的,有我在边上,你显得那么年轻
I have no idea who you are,
我不知道你是谁
but I like you.
但我喜欢你
Is he really doing okay?
他真的可以吗?
The firm is safe from ridicule.
公司的脸丢不了
What did she want?
她想干嘛?
Make sure I'm competent?
确保我能胜任?
Something like that.
差不多吧
You were more than competent today, Denny.
你今天不仅胜任,丹尼
You were good, very good. I know.
你很优秀,非常优秀,我知道
We must be doing our crosswords these days.
这几天一定做了不少填字游戏
Did she ask you to backstop me?
是她叫你支援我的?
It was my idea.
我的主意
Damn liar. I like doing cases with you, Denny.
该死的骗子,我喜欢跟你合作,丹尼
Can't you just accept that? It's fun.
你就不能接受吗?会很带劲的
Fun, fine. I'll go with that, then.
带劲,很好,那我忍了
You have seemed especially acute. Are we taking something?
你好像灵活了很多,在用什么秘方
I just rubbed on a little clear cream. It was just for muscle cramps.
涂点乳霜,缓解肌肉紧绷
Denny?
丹尼?
Are you taking something?
你在服用什么?
What I am taking...
我吃的?
is good care of myself.
对我有好处
The old Denny Crane is coming back.
以前的丹尼·克兰,回来了
Our business had reached sort of a plateau,
我们的业务进入稳定期
and I felt I could do better solo.
我觉得单干能做得更好
And truthfully, I thought that she might, too.
坦白的说我相信她也是
Now, before leaving, did you tell your clients?
离开前,你通知客户了吗
Absolutely not.
当然没有
I left, I contacted them, they decided to come with me, in that order.
我先离开,再联系他们,他们决定和我合作,我这样做的
Now, Tracey, we've heard the accusation
特蕾西,有指控说
that you pretended to love Stephanie for business reasons.
你假装和斯蒂芬妮相爱,以获取经济利益
It's absolutely false.
绝对没有
I fell in love with her.
我真的爱她
I mean, the idea that I could feign love for 2-plus years just...
我是说,假装爱一个人两年多,这种想法太?
you know how much I loved you, Stephanie.
斯蒂芬妮,你知道我有多爱你
Ms. Green, please do not address anyone but me or your counsel.
格林女士,请不要对其他人说话,除了我和你的律师
I never lied to her about my sexual orientation,
在性取向上我没对她说谎
and I'm offended by that.
也很气愤这样说我
How many women had you been with prior to your relationship with my client?
在我当事人前,你跟多少女人一起过?
Objection. Overruled.
反对,驳回
However salacious, it's in issue.
有些敏感,但跟案子有关
How many women?
多少女人
One. One.
一个,一个
And prior to your relationship with my client,
那在我当事人前
how many men had you had sexual relationships with?
你跟多少男人在一起过?
Several. Several.
一些,一些
More than five? Yes.
超过5个? 是的
More than 10? I wanted to lead a heterosexual life.
超过10个? 我希望能成为异性恋
Eventually, I realized...
最终,我意识到??
My client asked you if you were bisexual.
我当事人问过你是不是双性恋
You answered no. Because I'm not.
你否认了,因为我不是
I may have been with men in the past,
我的确和男人一起过
but ultimately, I realized I preferred women.
但最终我发现,自己更喜欢女人
How many relationships have you had since Stephanie?
在斯蒂芬妮后,你又有过几段关系?
One. With a man or a woman?
一段,和男的,还是女的
Look, the breakup with Stephanie was extremely painful.
与斯蒂芬妮分手让我非常痛苦
Your subsequent relationship was with a man or a woman?
你后来发展的关系,是和男人,还是女人
A man. A man.
男人,男人
Now, you spoke earlier about the exact order of how things went down.
你曾说过事情发展的顺序
Rewinding a little further back,
我们来回顾一下
you met Stephanie, became her lover,
你遇到了斯蒂芬妮 ,成了她的爱人
eventually became her business partner,
最后成了她的合作伙伴
left with clients and files, began having an affair with a man.
带走了她的客户和文件,开始和一个男人谈恋爱
Did I get the order right?
我的顺序没错吧
I just got destroyed.
我被重创了
Didn't I?
对吗
You didn't get destroyed.
你没有
It was a tough cross, but I thought you held up.
是个难关,但你撑过来了
Really?
真的吗?
Really.
真的
You know...
你知道?
to think that I'm straight is to believe that I'm a profoundly dishonest person.
说我喜欢的是男人,也就是质疑我不诚实
And I'm not dishonest, Brad.
而我没有不诚实,布拉德
OK Okay. You know, I...
你知道,我?
I can take you doubting my sexual orientation but...
我可以理解你怀疑,我的性取向,但是?
my character, I, uh...
我的人品,我?
I don't doubt you.
我没有怀疑你
She's trying to admit something. What, that she's not gay?
她想说些什么,什么呢,她不是同性恋?
I don't know. Maybe.
我不清楚,可能吧
You're making a fool of yourself, Brad.
你在骗自己,布拉德
I know when I'm being deceived, Tara.
如果被骗我就会知道,塔拉
The deception is self-inflicted.
是自己虚构的错觉
You're infatuated with her, and you want to believe it's reciprocal.
你迷上了她,而你希望这是相互的
She's probably more interested in me than you.
估计她对我的兴趣更大
You're making a fool of yourself.
你在骗自己
I considered it life or death.
我觉得是生死攸关
He was at risk of cardiac arrest, diabetes...
他有心跳停止和糖尿病的危险
and this drug was your only resort?
而这种药物是你的唯一选择?
It was my last resort.
是我仅有的选择
Believe me, I am not in the habit of prescribing non-approved drugs, but this...
相信我,我没有开非核准药物的习惯,但是这次?
Doctor, would you tell the jury and me, too,
医生,请再次告诉陪审团和我
for that matter, because I've forgotten.
因为我有些忘了
How Ramonibend works.
Ramonibend是怎么起作用
It suppresses a protein in the brain that makes you want to eat.
它抑制大脑里控制食欲的蛋白质
In fact, this drug blocks nearly all cravings.
事实上这种药物阻止了所有欲望
It can be used to help people quit smoking, drinking.
它能帮助人们戒酒,戒烟
Which is why it's been called the wonder drug.
所以它被称为"梦幻之药"
So you just figured what the hell, why wait for proof?
你说得那么花好稻好,干嘛还要等验证
My patient couldn't wait, Mr. Zale.
可我的病人等不起,Zale先生
He was looking at an imminent physical demise.
他随时可能停止生理活动
In medical terms, we call it death.
医学上,我们称之为死亡
Any published studies on this drug?
有对这种药研究的学术发表吗?
To justify this wonder status you give it.
可以证明刚才你说的,那些奇效是真的
Not yet. Has this drug been approved for sale?
还没有,这种药物获准出售了吗?
Not yet.
还没有
How'd you get your hands on this drug, doctor?
你怎么得到这些药物的
I had a connection at one of the clinics where it's being tested.
我和测试药物的一家诊所有联系
I won't reveal more than that.
关于这个我不想多说
You're a licensed doctor
你是一个执业律师
prescribing a drug not approved by the FDA to desperate patients.
给绝望的病人FDA还未许可的药
With a full warning.
我警告过他所有可能的危险
How can you warn about a drug side effect you don't know about?
你连药物副作用都不清楚,怎么能给警告
The warning that I gave Mr. Harrison was exactly that.
我给哈里森先生的警告是
This drug may have side effects we don't know about.
这药的副作用我们也不清楚
Possible fatal side effects.
甚至可能致命
There's no evidence of that. So you decided...
没有证据表明会那样,所以你决定?
balancing the benefits against the known risk of a coronary
先解决已经存在的心脏问题
if he doesn't take it, I favor taking the medication.
如果他不愿用这个,我会选择药物治疗
This is an experimental drug. Which I have no financial interest in.
这是实验中药物,我没有任何获利
Which you bootlegged. My only concern was a patient's health.
你私自出售,我关心的是病人的健康
So doctors should feel free to ignore the FDA whenever they choose.
所以医生们可以无视FDA随心所欲
I never said that. So you should feel free whenever you choose.
我没那样说,那是你可以随心所欲
Sometimes desperate circumstances require desperate measures.
有时绝境求生要险中求胜
And desperate people will do anything, won't they?
但绝望之人会不顾后果,不是吗?
Denny.
丹尼
You're checking on me in here, too?
你也来这里查我?
Think I forgot how to piss?
我忘记怎么撒尿了?
I beg your pardon?
什么?
I'm tired of being followed around like some patient.
我讨厌被你们当病人似的提防着
I change my underwear every day. I know how to practice law.
我每天都换内衣,我知道怎么打官司
And if you're the one who assigned Alan Shore to backstop me,
如果是你指使艾伦·肖尔来帮我
then you better stop... You listen.
你最好别再,你听着
I'm still talking. Now I'm talking.
我还没说完,现在是我说
You arrogant old fart, you have a client facing prison time.
你这只傲慢的老肥猪,你的当事人就要坐牢了
You have no right to exalt your ego.
你无权只想着显摆自己
Don't you talk to me in that...
不要这么和我说话?
Shut up!
闭嘴
I am sick of you feeling sorry for yourself and only yourself.
我恶心你一个劲的自顾自怜
It was selfish of you to try this case solo.
你想单打独斗,简直自私自利
Do not start a war with me here.
别在这惹毛我
You may not win it.
你不可能会赢
That's why you brought Shirley back.
所以你才让雪莉回来
To build an alliance!
来结成同盟
Guess you're the one who forgot how to piss.
我看你才忘了怎么撒尿
Does it smell right to you?
各位觉得合理吗
She had a history of men before my client.
她之前和男人在一起
She never hinted to her best friends that she was anything but heterosexual.
她从没和朋友表示过,自己不喜欢异性
She had an affair with a man after she left my client.
之后她又和男人在一起
Her only fling with homosexuality
她唯一成同性恋的时候
just happened to coincide with the biggest financial windfall of her life.
就正好是她财源滚滚的时候
Suddenly being gay got her money,
突然成了同性恋赚大钱
got her profiled about town in magazines, on tv, as an it girl.
她出现在杂志电视上,成了时尚
Newfound fame, newfound money, newfound sexual orientation.
有了名声,有了金钱,有了新的性取向
Does it smell right to you?
你们觉得正常吗?
In order to make a cause of action for fraud,
要证明欺诈行为
one must prove that he or she relied on the fraud to his or her own detriment.
就必须证明他或她被这个行为伤害
Now, after partnering with my client,
在和我的当事人搭档后
Ms. Rogers' financial and professional fortunes soared.
罗杰斯女士,财运事业都平步青云
She benefited.
她获益匪浅
In fact, one might even say, considering
事实上,甚至可以说
the media coverage of this lawsuit,
单看媒体对本案的关注
that she's actually benefiting from the breakup,
她在分手中也得益不少
because as any P.R. professional knows, there's no such thing as bad publicity.
做公关的人都知道,新闻炒作百利而无一害
But if you're determined to get hung up on the issue
但是如果你们纠缠于
is Tracey Green gay or not, did she really love Stephanie or not,
特蕾西·格林是不是同性恋,她是否真爱过斯蒂芬妮
consider Stephanie's own testimony.
请想想斯蒂芬妮自己的证词吧
When I asked her during the relationship
当我问到她
as she was living it,
那段时间
did she feel that Tracey loved her?
她是否感到特蕾西真的爱她
And she answered yes.
她的回答是肯定的
But now in the wake of hurt and heartbreak,
但想到被伤害和心痛
she offers a different answer.
她又给了相反的回答
Which version do you find more reliable?
你们觉得哪个答案更可信?
Anything?
有结果了吗
No, they're still deliberating.
没有,他们还在讨论
What's this? I haven't the slightest idea.
这是什么? 不知道
Your secretary said you'd want it sooner rather than later.
你秘书说你希望尽快拿到
What is it?
这是什么?
It's nothing. It's just another case I'm working on.
没什么,是另一个案子的
Do I have to convince you of the danger of prescribing non-approved drugs?
相信不用再多说,使用未经许可药物的危险
Defrauding overweight people with diet gimmicks is a billion-dollar industry,
欺骗肥胖人士服用减肥药,是条敛财之道
and now we're going to let doctors get in on the racket
我们难道要让医生也掺和进来
and say it's okay to sell black-market pills under the table?
还默认偷售黑市药品是可以的
It's precisely because physicians have
恰恰是因为医师
such an influence over their patients
对病人们有绝对的影响力
that we demand that drugs be approvedby the FDA.
所以我们要求药物必须通过FDA许可
But this doctor decided he shouldn't be held to that.
但是这个医生不愿受约束
This doctor figured he's above the law.
这个医生认为他凌驾于法律
This doctor is the equivalent of a drug dealer
这个医生就像药贩子
selling cocaine in an alleyway,
在巷子里卖可卡因一样
and he should be punished accordingly.
他理应得到应有的惩处
I thought I was closing. I'm first chair.
是我来结案呈词,我主你副
You got to ask all the questions. Objection.
发问全由你来的,反对
Your honor, these two have tried to trivialize the severity of this case
法官大人,这两人扰乱法庭肃穆
with their Abbott and Costello routine, but it's an insult to this court.
他们一唱一和很搞笑,但这是对庭审的侮辱
Your honor, it's only fair I get to do something here.
法官大人,这是庭审剩下的,我唯一能做的事了
Mr. Shore, the court is anything but amused.
肖尔先生,法庭是神圣庄严的地方
I'm not.. No, I, I got it.
我没有,不,有了,有办法了
We'll split it.
我们上下半场
You go first.
你先来
Fine.
好的
Okay, first, this big deal about FDA approval... Okay
首先,这桩关于FDA认证的案子
doctors prescribe medications every day for uses the FDA never considered.
医生每天开着FDA还未认可的药物
Aspirin, for years, has been used to prevent and treat heart attacks.
阿司匹林,用于预防心脏病很多年了
Did the FDA ever test for that? No.
FDA认证过吗?没有
It was sanctioned only as a pain reliever until recently.
直到最近它才被批准作为止痛药
Beta-blockers are prescribed for migraines with no FDA approval.
β受体阻滞药医治偏头痛,没有经过FDA许可
We take anti-convulsants for pain, for bipolar disorders.
我们用抗惊厥药止痛,治疗两极紊乱
Antidepressants for insomnia, steroids for cancer.
抗抑郁药治疗失眠,类固醇治疗癌症
People in this country are getting prescriptions by the thousands
这个国家的人每天从医生那里
every day from their doctors for treatments the FDA never signed off on.
得到上千张FDA从未许可过的处方
And what about the FDA?
那么FDA呢?
David Graham, a drug reviewer with the agency, David Graham
药物评论家
just testified before congress that the FDA is, I quote,
向国会证实FDA,原句是
"virtually incapable of protecting America from unsafe drugs."
“实际上是不能保护,美国人民远离危险药物”
The FDA is broken, folks.
朋友们,FDA是无用的
Raise your hand if you agree, except those of you on vioxin.
同意的请举手,除了在吃vioxin的
Objection. The FDA's own point man said to congress
反对,FDA的重要人物对国会说
that we are currently facing the single greatest drug safety catastrophe
我们现在面对的是历史上
in the history of the world.
最巨大的药物安全灾难
So who, then, is there to protect the patient?
那么,究竟谁在保护病人
Who is there to protect Mr. Harrison?
谁在保护哈里森先生?
His doctor.
他的医生
My client had a medication that could save his patient's life.
我的当事人开的处方,能救病人的性命
He wasn't going to wait nine years for approval from a broken, ineffective agency.
他不再白等九年,等一个无用的低效的机构来证明
This is life or death, for god's sake.
生死攸关,看在上帝的份上
Life or death.
生死攸关
I'm at risk for Alzheimer's.
我会变成老年痴呆
I've got some sort of plaque going on inside my brain.
我的脑子里有什么病变
My memory...
我的记忆?
I might have met some of you before. I wouldn't know.
我可能见过你们某些人,但我不会记得
What you wouldn't know is what it feels like to be...
你们无法体会那种感觉
losing it, to be...
失去它,变得?
feel...
感觉?
to be slipping.
渐渐不行了
There's a prescription drug...
有一种处方药
dextroamphetamine.
右旋安非他命
It's very big on the black market.
在黑市上用量很大
It's used by college kids to bone up for exams.
大学生用它来通过考试
I've been taking it.
我也吃这个
I don't know how it works,
我不清楚原理
but you get your memory back.
但你找回了记忆
It reintroduces you to your vocabulary,
帮你记住单词
helps with mental arithmetic, facial recognition, overall productivity.
帮你加快心算,帮你认人,一切的能力
Basically...
基本上?
you get your brain back.
基本上你的脑子回来了
And no FDA or any other agency is gonna
没有FDA或任何机构
tell me I don't have the right to get back my brain.
说我无权找回我的脑子
No government or, or court is gonna tell me,
没有政府或法庭
order me to continue losing my mind.
会命令我继续失去记忆
I agree with the prosecutor.
我同意控方
His claim that desperate people will try desperate measures.
他说绝望的人会做绝望的事
So what?
那又怎样?
Members of the jury, - have you reached a verdict?
陪审团是否达成一致?
Yes, we have, your honor. We have, your honor.
是的,法官阁下,是的,法官阁下
What say you? In the matter of Rogers vs. Green...
结论是,罗杰斯对格林一案?
In the matter of the commonwealth of Massachusetts vs. Dr. Robert Mclean...
麻省对罗伯特·麦克林医生一案?
we the jury find in favor of the defendant.
陪审团判定辩方胜诉
We find the defendant Dr. Robert Mclean
我们判定罗伯特·麦克林医生
not guilty.
无罪
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I want to thank you for your service.
感谢陪审团的各位
At this time, you are dismissed.
你们可以解散了
Court adjourned.
休庭
So did she say anything after?
后来她说什么了吗
She just shot me a look when she was leaving the courthouse.
只是离开时瞪了我一眼
She'll get over it.
她会挺过去的
Yeah, I bet she will.
是的,她会
Who knows? Maybe we'll even get back together one day.
天知道,可能某天我们又和好了
Wouldn't be surprised.
这不意外
So why did you want to have dinner, Brad?
为什么安排这顿晚餐,布拉德?
To celebrate the victory or, uh...
来庆祝胜利,或者?
take one last shot at conversion?
还是想再看我一眼
I wanted to have dinner to apologize.
我邀你共进晚餐是想道歉
I did a really...
我做了件?
terrible thing.
很糟糕的事情
I hired a private investigator to follow you.
我雇了个私家侦探跟着你
I wanted to satisfy myself that you were really gay,
我想说服自己,你是个同性恋
and I'm quite satisfied now.
现在我很肯定了
You went to see Stephanie around midnight last night.
你昨天午夜去见斯蒂芬妮了
Why would you do that?
为什么那么做?
Well, had it half right. Didn't I?
我对了一半,对吗?
You know, thinking Stephanie sued you for...
猜Stephanie起诉你
the publicity.
为了炒作
You were both in on it.
你们一起策划的
It girls or split girls...
“漂亮女人”还是“单飞女人”
however you make the news, you two are a really good team.
无论哪种炒作,你俩始的确合作默契
Because I knew I was being deceived.
因为我觉得不对劲
I just wasn't sure how.
但不知道究竟怎么回事
I didn't plan for you to fall for me.
我没想到你会爱上我
Well, don't flatter yourself.
别太看得起自己
I think that I should leave.
我想我该离开了
No, no, you don't have to. We won the case.
不,不,你不必,我们赢得了官司
Come on, this is a celebration.
来吧,这是庆功宴
I'm gonna leave.
我要走了
Thank you, Brad.
谢谢你,布拉德
Um, and again,
呃,再一次
I'm sorry if...
我很抱歉,如果?
Thank you.
谢谢你
That drug you're taking is an amphetamine
你在吃的药是种安非他命
with a dangerously high potential for abuse and addiction.
可能会导致滥用或上瘾
The shrinks are doling it out like candy.
精神科医生开这药就像发糖果
Might make you feel more acute.
可能让你聪明些
You'll no doubt work like a demon.
你工作起来会胜人一筹
But certain pleasures will be gone.
但会失去许多快乐
Like?
比如?
Perhaps fishing...
可能是钓鱼?
perhaps sitting in a chair enjoying a football game...
可能是坐着看球赛
standing on a balcony...
站在阳台
appreciating the quiet joy of a friendship.
享受友谊中静静的快乐
There's more to life than recognizing faces, Denny.
生活不仅是认人,丹尼
You prefer me in my fog?
你喜欢糊涂的我?
I prefer you.
我喜欢的是你
Your perspective and your humor,
你的观点和你的幽默
the acceptance and humility which...
容忍和谦逊
perhaps can only come with age.
伴随年龄而来的这些
I prefer you.
我喜欢,你
I've stopped taking the drug.
我已经不吃药了
I kind of like my fog, too.
我也喜欢糊涂些
There's a certain license that goes with it.
它是个好借口
Plus, I've said this before, and I'll say it again.
还有,我曾说过,我还要再说
The answers in life...
生活的答案
you don't find them here.
你从这找不到
First you look to god...
首先你指望上帝
and then...
然后
Fox news.
Fox新闻
Damn right.
该死的,说的对
You Democrats.
你是民主党人
You Republicans.
你是共和党人
Shirley know I won?
雪莉知道我赢了吗?
Told her myself. What'd she say?
我亲口说的,她怎么说?
She'd like to have your children.
她想有你的孩子
Damn right.
该死的,说得对