My friend, I can't tell you how good to see you.
我的朋友,见到你太高兴了
I got to be honest with you, I thought you were dead.
老实说,我以为你已经不在人世了
Never felt better in my life. Oh, come on. That's a lie.
我现在感觉好极了,拜托,你在撒谎吧
Look at you.
看看你
How's Sylvie? Sylvie is dead.
塞尔维怎么样了,塞尔维死了
Fantastic. And the kids?
太棒了,孩子们呢
Denny, the last time we spoke, you mentioned that despite astronomical odds,
丹尼上次你说过不管机率多大
you managed to become yet an even better lawyer.
你还是成为一个相当棒的律师
Hard to believe, isn't it?
难以置信,是吧
I have a motion which, obviously, I'm quite capable of arguing myself,
我有个预感,鉴于我非常善于辩论
being more talented than you. No, you're not.
我比你更有才华,不,你不是的
I also happen to be the client.
我恰好成了委托人
The case is also extremely unconventional.
这个案子相当的不寻常
I want to be frozen.
我想被冷冻起来
What do you mean?
你是什么意思
I meanI want to be frozen and stored in a cryonic institute.
我想被冰冻保存在人体冷冻学院里
What do you mean? I'm 78 years old.
你是什么意思,我已经78岁了
It won't be long before my body starts to wither.
我的身体快要不行了
I've lived a full life.
我的一生很圆满
The technology will soon exist that I will be able to double that life.
不久以后科技能让我再活一次
I want to be frozen and stored until such time that technology becomes a reality.
我想被冷冻保存直到科技成为现实的那天
What do you mean?
你是什么意思
I mean when I leave this world, I don't want it to be forever.
我不想永远的离开这世界
Which mean for now...
对现在而言?
I want to be frozen.
我想被冷冻
What do you mean?
你是什么意思
So basically, he wants to be euthanized.
基本上他想安乐死
And preserved on ice.
并且冰冻起来
Evidently, there's some right to privacy law I've never heard of.
很明显,我没听说过这种个人权利
Why should you?
为什么
It's in the constitution.
这是宪法规定的
What's Milton Bombay doing here?
Milton Bombay在这儿做什么
He wants to be frozen and stored in a cryonics facility.
他想被冷冻保存在人体冷冻设备里
All in favor... And he wants Denny to argue it.
全体通过? 他希望丹尼做辩护律师
And what could possibly occasion him to want that?
是什么原因导致他这样做
The problem is, the basis of the case, if there is one, would lie in the bill of rights,
问题是,这件事是基于权利法案
which Denny, of course, feels never should have been passed.
当然丹尼肯定希望这项法案从来没被通过
We're one supreme court appointment away from overturning it.
我们是最高法院派来推翻它的
The bill of rights. Damn right.
权利法案,该死的权利
Red states rule.
现在是共和党的天下
Paul, there seems to be some psychological deficit in play here.
保罗看起来有点心理缺失
I refer to Milton's, not yours.
我赞成米尔顿的说法,而不是你的
Any personho wants to be frozen should perhaps
想要被冷冻的人应该去找心理医生
be referred to a therapist, not a lawyer.
而不是律师
Hey, pretty boy.
嘿,帅哥
I hear you're looking for some interesting cases.
听说你在找有趣的案子
Chelina Hall Chelina Hall. We haven't officially met.
我们还没有正式见过面
Yes, I've peeked at you in the girls' room unofficially.
对,我只私下在女洗手间外匆匆瞥到过你
Cute.
很可爱
Come with me?
过来看看吗
Stuart Milch Alan Shore
Stuart Milch, 艾伦·肖尔
A pleasure, sir. Thanks again for agreeing to see me.
我的荣幸,先生,再次感谢同意和我见面
Not at all, especially since I've made no such agreement.
别客气,我还没有同意
Show him the gizmo, Stuart.
给他看看你的玩意儿,斯图尔特
Tell him what it is, Stuart.
告诉他这是什么,斯图尔特
It's called a news blocker.
它是新闻阻止器
Sold off the internet. You attach it to the coaxial input on your television,
网上有卖的,把它装在有线电视同轴电缆的输入里
and it basically blocks news transmissions.
它就能阻止新闻转播
It's true.
是真的
My high school principal to all the televisions in the building. attached these devices
我的中学校长把这个装备,装在楼里所有的电视上
The problem is,
问题是
it turns out it only blocks one network, the most fair and balanced one.
它只阻止了一个广播公司的新闻,最公平客观的那个
All the others, kids can watch. It singles out one network only.
而其他的节目,孩子们都能看到,它选择了一个广播公司的节目
Yes, because this network supposedly pushes a conservative agenda,
因为据说这个广播公司支持保守派
which is a lot of hooey.
完全是一派胡言
This is blatant censorship.
这是明目张胆的审查行为
It furthers evidence of a liberal media, and I, for one, am sick of it.
让宣扬自由党的媒体占了便宜,我很讨厌
In all my years...
一直都很讨厌
In all his years.
他一直都很讨厌
Milton, I consider you a friend.
米尔顿,我把你当作朋友
Actually, I don't. I find you a bit boorish.
事实上我却觉得你有点傻
But I have always enjoyed your unfettered candor,
但我一直都很欣赏你的公正,直率
and, in the spirit of that candor, the case cannot be won.
因为你的直率,这起案子赢不了
Given that this is the only lifetime you'll ever get to have,
假设你的生命只有一次
please don't waste what's left of it in the vast,
请珍惜它,我们的法学制度
cavernous sinkhole known as our system of juris prudence.
就如巨大洞穴般的污水池里的残留物
I made my life in that system.
我的一生都在这样的制度里
I rose to the very top of this system.
我已攀登到了这个制度的顶部
No, you didn't.
不,你没有
Milton, no judge igoing to let you be euthanized and stashed in a sub-zero.
米尔顿没有法官能够允许你安乐死并被冷冻
We cannot know that unless we try, Shirley.
没有试过怎么知道呢,雪莉
I know you recently retired. Is this...
我知道你刚退休,是不是?
and, please, do not proffer psychological counsel.
我不需要心理上的忠告
I came in here in search of legal and intellectual acuity.
我来这里的是要找个聪明的律师
And you sought out Denny?
你找到了丹尼
I assure you, this is something I considered with all due gravity.
我保证,我是经过深思熟虑后
I came to a decision,
才做出了决定
and now I appeal to you as my attorney to help me execute that decision.
现在我委托你做我的律师,执行我的决定
Do I make myself clear?
我说得够清楚了吧
Perfectly.
很好
We're talking about your execution.
我们会考虑你的决定
Frozen. That's why he's here?
冷冻,那是他来这里的原因吗
If there's any legal research on point, which I doubt there is, the sooner, the better.
如果有法律上拿不准的地方,尽快告诉我
By way of analogy, you might want to look at assisted suicide or right to die.
比如你可以找找辅助自杀或寻死的权利
Brad, you take the math and science because you're male, Brad
你是男的,擅长理科
and therefore more innately qualified.
所以你更有资格
Anything and everything you can find on cryonics technology.
找出一切和人体冷冻技术相关的资料
Wait, this firm is actually going to help Milton Bombay be put on ice?
等等,我们要帮助Bombay被冷冻吗
Oh, come now, Lori, you of all people should know Lori
你们都该知道
it's not so bad to go through life as a popsicle.
冰棒一样的生活也不是太糟糕
What is that supposed to mean?
这是什么意思
Nothing.
没什么
My, everybody's so sensitive.
天啊,人人都这么敏感
Can't we all just get along?
我们就不能融洽相处吗
We go to court this morning, so as fast as you can.
今天早上我们就去起诉,越快越好
First of all, students have no vested rights whatsoever to watch any news during school.
首先,学生没有法定的权利在学校里看新闻
But they are allowed to do so at winslow high,
但是在温斯洛中学他们是被允许这么做的
except for one network.
除了一个广播公司
Ms. Tyler, is this particular broadcast being singled out on content?
泰勒小姐,这个电视节目是经过筛选的吗
Even if it is, your honor,
是的,法官大人
schools have the right to legislate content,
学校有权限制电视内容
just as we can search students' lockers.
就像我们有权搜查学生的储物柜
Objection to the spin, judge. This is a no-spin zone.
反对,法官大人
A school principal is not subject to grounds of reasonableness when it comes to policy.
政策规定学校校长可以不遵循合理的原因
This is the first amendment in play here. What's next, burning a few books?
这次是对节目做手脚,下次又是什么呢,烧书吗
Ms. Tyler, I must say, this has a bad stink to it.
泰勒小姐,我必须要说,这样糟透了
How do you ban one network news program and not the others?
你怎样禁止一个广播公司的新闻节目,而不是其他的
The principal felt this particular network was detrimental.
校长觉得这家广播公司的节目不宜孩子观看
Well, I want to hear from the principal in this witness chair,
我想问问证人席上的校长
or I'm going to grant the petitioner's motion right now.
否则我就同意原告的请求
Fine. I can get him here this afternoon.
好的,我下午把他带来
We'll adjourn for lunch. Be back at 4:00.
午餐时间休庭,下午4点继续
There they are!
他们在这儿
Mr. Bombay, why are you doing this?
Bombay先生,你为什么这么做
It's simply about wanting to continue my legacy for centuries to come.
很简单,我不想太早宣布遗嘱
I'm perhaps the greatest lawyer of all time,
说不定我是最伟大的律师
No, he's not. I'm better. Denny Crane.
不,他不是,我比他好多了,Denny Crane
and I want that time to continue into the future.
将来我也是最伟大的律师
How are you, sweetie? Still the king.
你好吗,亲爱的
Denny Crane
丹尼·克兰
Mr. Bombay, you are asking for a court order to end your life.
Bombay先生,你向法庭请求中止生命
Under today's science.
用今天的科技
Tomorrow might be quite different. But, sir, let's be realistic.
明天可能会大不一样,但是,先生,现实一点
Why the helldo I have to be realistic? It's my body.
该死的为什么我要现实一点呢,这是我的身体
What do I have to do, get pregnant?
我要做什么,怀孕吗
Well, you may be couching this in pro-life terms,
你也许有点超前了
but in today's scientific world, being frozen makes you dead.
但是以今天的科技,冷冻意味着死亡
I am asking for the chance to be alive in tomorrow's world.
我在争取将来重生的机会
To play with my great-great-great -great-grandchildren.
和我的曾曾曾曾孙一起玩耍
Do you have grandchildren today?
你现在有孙子了吗
I've got six, all grown.
有六个,都成年了
Three of them love me.
有三个很爱我
Suppose one of them came into the court at, say, the age of 30
假设他们中有一个今天出现在这里,比如30岁
asking to be frozen.
也请求冷冻
I'd say wait. You've got a lot of years.
我会说再等等,你还年轻
Well, but maybe they, too, would like it done before their body starts to go south,
但如果他们想在壮年时就这么做呢
which, at 30, it can.
比如30岁
Look, I don't advocate this for young, healthy people.
我不提倡健康的年轻人这么做
But certainly, if you can decide for yourself, so should others, right?
但是如果你能自己作主,那其他人也能,对吗
I'm close to 80.
我快80了
My life is almost over.
快死的人了
Does one have to be old to get this autonomy?
难道只有年长者才能自己作主吗
How about somebody 35 with cancer?
一个35岁的癌症患者呢
If it was incurable, yes.
如果是绝症,他可以
Parkinson's disease. M.S.
帕金森综合症
What if somebody wanted to get frozen to avoid the draft?
假设有人想被冷冻以此逃脱兵役呢
Let him move to Canada. Freeze his balls off.
让他去加拿大,把他的子弹冻起来,
Denny Crane
丹尼·克兰
Why did you do that? You were getting picked apart in there.
为什么你要这么做,你在吹毛求疵
I was not. I was doing just fine. I had to stop the other side's momentum.
我没有,我做得很好,我必须阻止对方的势头
He was shooting spitballs at a battleship. Boys.
他想把事情搞砸
I was having a real momentin there, and you stepped on it.
我在法庭上正襟危坐,你却在一旁摇旗呐喊
Boys, we need to get back to the office and prepare our expert.
我们需要回去找个医学专家
He stepped on my moment. Did not. Boys.
他坏了我的事,我没有,好了
Cryonics proponents don't refer to the patient as "dead,"
人体冷冻学的支持者们不认为病人"死亡"
simply "preserved."
而是"保存"
Frozen. Yes.
冷冻,是的
But, doctor, if a person's heart isn't beating, if there's no brain activity,
但是医生,如果心脏停止跳动,大脑停止活动
we tend to call them dead.
我们就称为死亡
Under today's medical definition, yes. But the definition of cryonics
按照今天的医学定义,是的,但是根据人体冷冻学
is basically a process using a very cold temperature to prevent people from dying.
这是在极低的温度下维持生命的过程
Where'd we get this quack?
我们从哪儿找来的江湖郎中
Uh, doctor, let's be fair.
医生,坦白说
Has anyone ever been brought back to life after being frozen?
有没有人在被冷冻后生还
No, and it's not likely to happen soon, but the technology is changing.
没有,现在还不行,但科技在进步
We're discovering more and more about molecular nanotechnology every day,
我们正在研究分子纳米技术
and one day, it will be a reality.
总有一天会实现的
Molecular what?
分子什么
One second, doctor.
稍等,医生
Denny, I'm gonna try something here I don't have time to explain. Denny
我正在询问,没有时间跟你解释
I just need you to go with it, okay?
你只需要坐在这里,好吗
I want you to count backwards from 100 silently.
从100开始往前默数
Why?
为什么
I'll explain later. It's important.
一会再告诉你,这很重要
99 98 ?
99, 98...
Okay, doctor,
好了,医生
we've heard that cryonics is in our future, but, please, give me one example,
我们已经了解未来的冷冻技术,但请你举个例子
one piece of evidence that indicates that this could possibly work.
证明这项技术是可行的
The wood frog.
林蛙
I'm sorry. Did you say wood frog?
抱歉,你说的是林蛙吗
Uh, yes.
是的
A frogin the Canadian arctic that hibernates and completely freezes in the winter.
一种生活在加拿大北极圈的生物,冬眠时会完全冷冻
No heartbeat, no brain activity. It goes completely dead
没有心跳,没有大脑活动,按照今天对死亡的定义
by today's definition of death.
它和死了一模一样
Then in the spring, it wakens.
春天它又会苏醒
Brain activity resumes, heart starts beating.
大脑恢复运转,心脏继续跳动
It's alive again.
它又活了
And you think if it's possible for a frog...
那你认为林蛙可以?
Why not for a human?
人也一样可以了
If we can accomplish total metabolic arrest with no tissue damage,
如果在人体组织完好无损的情况下,完全中止新陈代谢
we will be able to freeze people for thousands of years
人们能够被冷冻上千年
and bring them back to life.
再起死回生
Thank you, doctor.
谢谢,医生
Humans are warm-blooded animals designed to stay at 98 degrees.
人类是热血动物,人体温度是98华氏度
Those frogs are cold-blooded with a completely different molecular structure.
而青蛙是冷血动物,它们的分子结构完全不同
Well, admittedly, the future of cryonics
不可否认冷冻技术的发展
involves the development of molecular technology.
包含分子技术的进步
For which there is no evidence it can work with warm-blooded...
但没有证据能表明它对热血动物一样有效
Yes, there is.
有证据
We have frozen rat livers, thawed them, and transplanted them into living rats.
我们冷冻老鼠肝脏,再把它们解冻,移植到活老鼠体内
In Israel, they did it with frozen hearts.
在以色列,还移植过心脏
In both cases, the rats lived. Not for long,
两个手术里,老鼠都活了,虽然存活时间不长
but the hearts and livers did come back to life.
但心脏和肝脏的确重活了
With humans, we've frozen heart valves...
我们已经冷冻了心脏瓣
And you think the idea of freezing people is ethical?
你认为人体冷冻符合伦理吗
Is that consistent with... It's evidently ethical to freeze embryos,
它能? 很明显冷冻胚胎符合伦理
but again, I'm up here to give you the science,
我想再次声明我们在讨论科学
not engage in a moral debate.
不是道德辩论
He kicked their ass.
他让他们哑口无言
And the best part of it was he had integrity,
最重要的是他很诚实
which is what you need in your expert.
这正是我们需要的
What did he cost us? $2,500.
我们付多少钱给他,2500美元
The whore.
敲竹杠
Schmidt. How are we doing?
施密特,怎么了
The leading federal case would be Schiavo.
联邦政府那件案子可能是Schiavo
It's not first circuit, but since the supreme court
这不是第一次巡回审讯
just refused to hear the appeal, we could argue it's controlling.
但因为最高法院拒绝审理这个上诉,我们可以断定有人幕后操纵
I want to read it. Can you make me a copy?
我要看看,给我一份复印件
You want to read it, Denny? Hell no.
你要看看吗,丹尼,不
Uh, can I talk to you in private for a second, please?
我能私下和你说几句话吗
I, uh...
我?
I didn't want to embarrass you in front of your superiors,
我不想让你在上司面前尴尬
but it seems to me the controlling case on this would be Cruzan.
但这件案件可能是Cruzan在操纵
The whole thrust of Rehnquist's opinion was autonomy,
Rehnquist审判的核心是个人自主
the patient's right to decide.
病人有权做决定
The opinion was muddled. It was essentially 3-pronged.
胡说八道,这是个三方的问题
Autonomy, the patient's best interests, and the state's interest to preserve life.
个人自主,病人最大的权益,国家对保护生命的权利
You'd win on prong one,
第一方你获胜
but you'd likely lose on prongs two and three.
但第二,三方你却快输了
You're much better off arguing Schiavo.
你最好去和Schiavo辩论
Mr. Bombay. Yes?
Bombay先生,什么
Are you all right? Oh, yes.
你还好吗,是的
Uh, it's just that you brought me back to a memory of...
你刚刚让我想起了?
I think I was happiest as a lawyer when I was a young associate.
当我还是个年轻的合伙人的时候,我是个最快乐的律师
I hated doing all the grunt work,
我讨厌做繁琐的办公室事务
but there was all the promise of tomorrow.
但这是为将来打基础
Would you have dinner with me tonight, Tara?
今晚一起吃饭好吗,塔拉
Milton...
米尔顿...
Why don't you have it with me?
为什么不和我一起吃饭呢
Why this one particular network?
为什么是这个广播公司呢
Look, I know that all the networks pander,
我了解所有广播公司的伎俩
some to the liberal, some to the conservative,
自由党的,保守党的
but when a news organization goes as far as to actually promote a political agenda...
但是当一个新闻机构在推动政治进程的话
Can I dial you back a second? How do they do that?
我能先问问吗,这是怎样办到的
Well, first, the broadcasts speak for themselves.
首先广播公司有自己的利益
Their CEO used to be the chief media operative for former republican presidents.
广播公司CEO曾利用传媒私下为,前共和党主席工作过
I object to his open mind, judge.
反对他的猜测,法官
Move to strike. Sustained.
请求删除刚才的谈话,有效
And then when I saw the documentary "Outfoxed," it blew my mind.
当我看到"Outfoxed",我惊呆了
Because... Because it detailed the extent to which the media can go to promote
因为?因为它详细记录了媒体怎样推动
conservative republican causes.
保守的共和党的进程
Your honor, we'd like to show you a brief series of clips from this documentary.
法官大人,我有一份该纪录片的剪辑片段
We weren't necessarily, as it was told to us,
正如人们所说的一样
a news-gathering organization so much as we were
我们并不是一个必要的新闻机构
a proponent of a point of view.
而只是一种观点的传话筒
They wanted all news to be a matter of opinion.
他们想让所有的新闻都是一个声音
We were ordered from the top to carry propaganda,
我们被下令进行政治宣传
carry republican right-wing propaganda.
宣传右翼的保守党
It was made very clear to us that our activities were being monitored,
很明显我们的活动被监控了
and if someone wasn't watching it live, they were at least recording it,
就算没有实时监控,他们至少有记录
and they would review it after the fact to see what we did.
可以随时掌握我们的一言一行
If you watch the documentary, and I strongly suggest that you do,
我强烈建议你看此纪录片
you'll see that this goes on and on and on,
你会发现这些情节会在电视上反复出现
and these accounts are from people on the inside.
纪录片里的讲述者都是新闻工作者
Okay, but to put a device on the television?
好的,但电视上安装设备呢
Well, I hate the idea of shutting down free expression,
我讨厌禁止自由言论
but this became more of a safety issue.
但这不仅是出于安全考虑
A safety issue?
安全考虑
They've got their talk show hosts declaring that anyone who is opposed
他们让主持人宣称只要有人反对战争
to the war is an enemy of the state, a traitor.
他就是国家公敌,是叛国者
We're getting more and more fights, kids are being attacked for being unpatriotic,
我们正陷入越来越多的战争中,孩子们因为不爱国而受到批评
Arab and muslim students are being targeted.
阿拉伯和穆斯林的学生成了众矢之的
Maybe this little device is overkill.
我承认也许这个小玩意有点过头了
I admit that. But I've got a high school to run,
但我作为校长
and the first order of the day is keep the kids safe.
我的首要责任是保护孩子们的安全
I thought the first order of an academic community was embracing diversity of opinion.
我认为学校的首要责任是让孩子们,了解不同的声音
Not when it's bias that fosters intolerance.
除非以宽容为前提
Did you attach any little blockers
你是否用这玩意阻止过
to networks that lie about presidents and, say, the national guard?
歪曲总统或是国家安全的广播公司
I don't dispute there's a liberal bias, too.
我也不否认存在对自由党的偏见
But you don't censor those networks.
但你并没有检查过这些节目
Those networks don't foster intolerance.
这些节目并没有鼓吹狭隘的思想
Any blockers for shock jocks? Or is racism and misogyny not a concern?
阻止过shock jock
Look, there's a lot of garbage out there. I'll admit that.
我得承认,有很多垃圾节目
What about your own teachers?
学校的老师呢
My teachers?
老师们
A recent poll showed 6 out of 7 college professors voted for John Kerry.
近期的民意调查显示七分之六的大学教授,投票赞成约恩·凯里
Does that not suggest a bias in academia, Mr. Harper?
哈珀先生,难道这不表明了学术界的偏向吗
Objection. We've got countless news programs,
反对,我们有数不清的新闻节目
too many talk shows to keep track of, all kinds of opinions being
铺天盖地的脱口秀
spewed out over the airwaves, extremes to the left, to the right,
电视里充满了各种各样的观点,极左的或极右的
and the only thing you block... That's actually not true.
而你唯一阻止的是? 事情不是这样的
There's all kinds of programs we don't permit.
有很多我们不允许的节目
But this is the only news show.
但这仅仅是新闻节目
Look, what does it say that they make a device
阻止某个广播公司意味着什么呢
to block out this It says that censorship is popular. particular news network? That doesn't make it right.
意味着审查行为普遍存在,但并非正确
And as principal, I have to make that call.
作为校长,我必须这样做
And let me say this. I'm a proud American.
让我告诉你,我是个自豪的美国人
I got a flag on my porch.
在我的门廊里悬挂着国旗
I pray for those troops every night. I taught some of those kids.
我每晚都为军队祈祷,我教我的孩子们也这么做
They're over there fighting for democracy,
他们为了民主而战
which includes the right for you to question your government.
包括你向质问政府的权利
And for this network to be saying otherwise offends me as a citizen and as a principal.
然而,作为一名校长和一个公民,这个广播公司的做法激怒了我
I see. So...
我知道,所以?
you're squashing content to promote democracy.
你阻止新闻以此推动民主
Once again,
重复一遍
I will shut down any content that fosters intolerance.
我阻止任何鼓吹狭隘思想的节目
That is where I stand.
这就是我的立场
You're going to dinner with him?
你要和他一起共进晚餐吗
I want to find out what's really going on here.
我要找出到底发生了什么事
What's going on is a runaway ego. It's all about the spotlight.
发生的事就是我们刚刚轻易获胜了
The man wishes he were me.
他希望成为我
We all wish that, Denny.
我们都希望如此,丹尼
I know. I, I go way back with Milton.
我知道,我和米尔顿认识很久了
I know Milton like the back of my hand.
我对米尔顿了如指掌
He knows he's gonna lose that motion. No risk of him being frozen.
他清楚将会输掉这件案子,法庭不会让他冒险被冷冻
In the meantime, he's all over the news.
同时,他是个新闻焦点
I'm telling you, the man wants to be me.
我告诉你,他想成为我
Even so, I'm gonna have a little talk with him.
即便如此,我要和他谈谈
He's gonna insist you go to Nicky Blair's. Watch.
他想让你去尼基·布莱尔那儿,看着吧
Sorry? He pays them to let him sing.
你说什么,他给他们钱允许他唱歌
I beg your pardon?
你说什么
He slips the maitre d' 100 bucks to come over to the table and say,
他给了餐厅领班100块让他走过去说
"Please, Mr. Bombay, sing us a song."
"Bombay先生,为大家献上一曲吧"
It's all about the limelight with Milton.
米尔顿成了焦点
I promise you.
我向你保证
What do you mean, lose?
你是什么意思,认输了吗
We're on the side of the first amendment.
我们有第一修正案
The problem is, school principals do have a wide discretion,
问题是校长的确有很大的决定权
and the material is arguably inflammatory.
材料也相当有感染性
If they can classify them as disruptive speech...
如果他们能把材料看做是分裂性的言论?
plus, I don't know which newscast you've been watching recently,
我不知道你最近看的是哪家新闻
but the first amendment is losing its luster lately.
但是第一修正案渐渐褪色了
Some networks are even censoring their scripted dramas.
有些广播公司甚至连照本宣科的,节目都要审查
So what do we go with if not freedom of expression?
如果没有了言论自由我们将会怎样
Meanwhile, actor Vince Odoms, you know him as the judge
同时,演员Vince Odoms
in the Michael Jackson reenactment trial,
迈克杰克逊案件再审中的审判员
has abruptly quit to go play Phil Spector
他却突然退出,加入了被FBS视为竞争对手的广播公司
in the reenactment of that trial on a competing network.
参加娱乐节目
FBS president Rick Silverman is threatening to sue,
FBS主席Rick Silverman威胁要起诉他
claiming the actor is under contract,
声称他还在合同期内
and that it would be a material breach to walk in the middle of ongoing litigation.
这将成为诉讼中的一个重要的突破口
Meanwhile, it was learned today that the Los Angeles county sheriff's office...
与此同时,据称洛杉矶县县治安官办公室?
So what's the point?
重点是什么
The point? Of us having dinner.
重点吗,我们吃饭的重点
What's the point?
重点是什么
If it's sexual, I'll need notice so I can take my little pill.
如果要上床我要先吃颗蓝色小药丸
You asked to have dinner with Tara.
你邀请塔拉吃饭
What was the point of that? With her, I wouldn't need a pill.
那又怎样,和她吃饭那我就不需要那片药了
You've talked a wonderful game about the future,
你已经描绘了美好的将来
about wanting to perpetuate your legacy into the next century.
把你的遗产带到下个世纪
But when you were talking to Tara, what I observed was...
但是你和Tara说话的时候我注意到?
a man looking backwards, a man who, perhaps, is lonely.
你却在回顾过去,略带寂寞
You've got it wrong.
你错了
I saw Melancholy, Milton,
我看到了忧郁,米尔顿
and Melancholy accompanied by the desire to be dead.
想要死亡的愿望里忧郁也如影随形
Is this Milton Bombay looking to check out in a way
Milton Bombay是否在寻找途径
that doesn't tarnish his grand reputation?
让他头上的光环永远熠熠生辉吗
Denny thinks you don't want to win this case,
丹尼认为你不想打赢这场官司
which would explain your hiring him, but you also hired me.
这也解释了你为什么选择他做律师,但你还选择了我
You lost your wife, your job...
你失去了妻子,你的工作?
are you just giving up, Milton?
你放弃了吗,米尔顿
Let me tell you something.
我来告诉你吧
As science and medicine continue to evolve, so must the law to keep pace.
科学和医学在发展,法律也会紧随其后
I'm blazing the trail as a patient today so I can continue to set
今天我以病人身份做开路先锋
the standard as a lawyer tomorrow.
明天我将继续为律师业制定标准
That's what this is about. Okay.
这就是我的理由,好的
Mr. Bombay, the band and some of the patrons
Bombay先生,乐队和其他客人
have requested that you grace us with a song tonight.
都想倾听您的歌声
Yes, tell them to vamp. She's making eyes.
好的,告诉他们伴奏
I'll be right up, Walter. Excellent. Thank you, sir.
我马上就来,很好,谢谢,先生
I happen to believe in reincarnation, and I also believe things even out.
我偶然间开始相信轮回,我也相信那些已经过时的事
Given the hand I was dealt this time,
假如我的命运已注定
I could be in for some serious hardships in the next go-around,
下个回合中我将困难重重
and I don't want that in my next life.
我不想这样的情况在下次生命里重复上演
I want to be me all over again, Milton Bombay.
我想重回原来的我,Milton Bombay
Got it.
我明白了
Ladies and gentlemen, a treat.
女士们先生们
A special guest performance from that legendary barrister Milton Bombay!
欢迎特别来宾,传奇律师Milton Bombay,做精彩表演
Thank you, thank you. Good to be here, folks.
谢谢,谢谢,很高兴在这里
Here's one of my favorites. I hope it's one of yours, too.
这是我最爱的,希望你们也能喜欢
Ma, she's making eyes at me
她在含情脉脉的注视我
Ma, she's awful nice to me
她对我是如此的美妙
Ma, she's almost breaking my heart
她几乎伤了我的心
I'm beside her
我在她身旁
Mercy, let her conscience guide her
让她的良心指引她
Ma, she wants to marry me
她想要嫁给我
be my honeybee
做我的宝贝
every minute she gets bolder
她越来越大胆
now she's leaning on my shoulder
她现在靠在我的肩膀上
Ma, she's kissing me
她在亲吻我
What do you mean you're closing?
你做结案陈词是什么意思
Milton What happened to Shirley?
米尔顿,雪莉出了什么事
there's a reason you came to me in the first place.
一开始你来找我是有原因的
In your gut, you know I'm better than you.
在你心里,你知道我比你更优秀
Go with your gut. I'd sooner go with my intestine.
跟着你的感觉走,我要和我的内脏约会
I'd prefer Shirley doing the closing. I'm not doing it,
我要雪莉结案,我不会这么做
and neither are you. Well, who does that leave,
你也不能,谁去结案
Tammy Tara
塔米? 塔拉
As I said from the start, the law doesn't support us here.
我一开始就说过法律不会支持我们
If we're going to get a court order allowing you to die,
如果今天的结果
which would be the result in today's world,
是我们让法庭允许你安乐死
that judge is going to have to hear from you.
法官要听听你的说法
He did hear from me. I don't think so.
他已经听过了,我不认为
If this is only about you getting to perpetuate your legacy in the next century,
如果你只是想把你的遗产保留到下世纪
I'm afraid you're gonna have to make do with sustaining it in this one.
恐怕你只能凑合着保存在这个世纪里了
You need to do better.
你需要做得更好
And, Milton, for my money,
米尔顿,在我看来
any guy who is asking to get stuck in a freezer isn't that desperate to live.
想要被冷冻并不是想要活下去的表现
Every major media watchdog group has labeled this news program
每个主流媒体都认为这个新闻节目
as the most biased, right-wing news program on television.
是最偏狭,右翼的节目
So what? Political bias is rampant throughout the news business,
那又怎样,政治偏向在新闻行业里屡见不鲜
including liberal bias.
包括对自由的偏向
We're not talking about just a slant, judge.
我们不仅是在讨论偏向,法官
A recent poll showed that the more people watched this news show,
最近的民意调查显示新闻节目看得越多
the less they know about foreign policy
人们对国外的政策了解得就越少
and the more inclined they are to support the government.
人们也就更倾向于支持政府
Now, that may be good team spirit, but it's disgraceful journalism.
这可能是很好的团结精神,但对新闻界来说却不光彩
But, come on, you talk about a democracy.
你刚刚提到了民主
What kind of principal censors free expression?
什么样的校长有权阻止言论自由呢
Um, your honor, if I may?
法官大人,我可以说几句吗
Any principal has the right, if not the obligation,
任何校长都有权力或是义务
to rail against bias wherever he sees it.
阻隔他所见到的偏向
You saw that tape. Which was also biased and self-serving.
你看过录像,也很有偏向并很自私
Their most popular commentator threatens retribution against those who dissent.
最受欢迎的评论员竟威胁持异议的人
It almost rises to the level of hate speech,
几乎演变成了分裂性的发言
and if, in my view, it jeopardizes the welfare of the students,
我认为如果会对学生造成恶劣的影响
I certainly have the authority to shut it down.
我完全有权关闭它
Mr. Shore, this is a school.
肖尔先生,这是学校
Is it wise to expose students to programs which send the message
这样的节目宣扬,如果你质问政府那你就是反美人士
you're anti - American if you question the government?
你觉得让学生看这样的节目合适吗
Your honor, before we convict them as the network of conservative values
法官大人,这样的广播公司具有保守派,或其他的价值观
or any values, for that matter,
而孩子们却成了广播公司的牺牲品
Let's remember these are the folks who brought you
我们应当记住这样的人
"Joe, Billy, and Aaron, who's your papa?"
他们带给我们"乔,比利,亚伦,谁是你们的父亲"
That's the entertainment division, Mr. Shore. I'm talking about the news.
那是娱乐节目,肖尔先生,我说的是新闻
And I'm telling you it's all the same. This isn't about political content.
我认为它们都一样,与政治内容无关
This is a corporation looking to make money.
这是一个需要赢利的公司
They began as alternative news programming to grab a market share
一开始新闻节目的内容像墙头草,他们需要占领市场份额
they saw ratings and profit in a conservative demographic,
他们在保守派支持者里看到了商机
and they've been waving the flag ever since, and so what?
因此他们向保守派倾斜,那又怎样呢
News today, all of it, is infotainment.
今天所有的新闻都是信息娱乐化
Last February, a deadly toxin known as ricin was found in the mailroom
去年二月一种叫做蓖麻毒的致命毒素
of the senate majority leader.
在参议院多数党领袖的收发室被发现
Headline news led with Janet Jackson's exposed breast.
报纸的头条新闻竟是明星珍妮,杰克逊的走光照片
A month ago, while we're in the middle of a war,
一个月前我们还处在战争之中时
newscasts all across the country led with prince Harry's costume at a keg party.
全国的新闻节目却大肆报导,啤酒狂欢派对上哈里王子的装束
It's a business.
这就是商业
And while some news groups go with the deeper social issues
有些媒体对社会事件做深度报道
like Brad and Jennifer's breakup,
比如彼得布莱特和珍妮佛的离婚
the one here chooses to run with red, white, and blue.
还有一个媒体报导美国的政界新闻
And, by the way, before you vilify them,
哦,对了,在你歪曲他们之前
a survey done in 2002 revealed that 70% of the people in this country
一份2002年的调查表明,当新闻机构持强硬的亲美态度时
believe it is good when news organizations take a strong, pro-American point of view.
全国70%的人对此持赞成意见
70%-70%. Does that make it right?
这样做是对的吗
Of course it makes it right.
当然是对的
Because the rule in infotainment is "give the people what they want."
因为信息娱乐化的原则就是,"给人们想要的"
This is money, your honor, not politics.
这是金钱,法官大人,不是政治
Let me say, I am a great lover of the news.
其实我也是个新闻爱好者
I can see that. I watch it all.
看得出来,我一直都看新闻
On days like 9/11 or for other world-changing events,
当911或其他世界大事发生的时候
the news programs are nothing short of spectacular.
新闻节目精彩不已
When Martin Luther King delivered "I have a dream."
当马丁路德金发表"我有一个梦想"时
When president Kennedy was shot.
当肯尼迪总统被害时
When we walked on the moon.
当人类登上月球时
The tet offensive.
越战中的"新年攻势"
Our lives are shaped by these events, in part because of the news.
我们的生活受这些大事件的影响,一部分来自于新闻
But on all other days, they're businesses
但是在其他的日子里,它们只是商业行为
looking to compete, like anybody else, in a highly competitive marketplace.
像人与人之间一样在激烈的市场里相互竞争
They sell product.
它们贩卖商品
And even if you're determined to believe
即使你坚信
that this particular network is some evil empire looking to spread right-wing propaganda,
某个居心不良的公司在宣传右翼思想
that still doesn't change the fact that we are in this room today
但仍然无法改变事实:今天我们身在这样的社会中
because a principal is shutting down the expression of ideas,
而有个校长却禁止我们畅所欲言
simply because he disagrees with the content.
仅仅因为他不同意我们的观点
If anything needs a champion today,
如果任何事都需要一个支持后盾的话
it's the first amendment.
那就是第一修正案
In a recent poll,
最近的一个民意调查里
half of today's high school students
一半的中学生
thought newspapers should get government approval of stories before publishing them.
认为在出版报纸之前政府应审查,报纸内容
The first amendment has become an endangered species,
第一修正案已经形同虚设了
and here, we have a high school principal practicing censorship.
现在校长也在检查节目内容
My, my.
天啊
We do have a problem.
我们确实存在问题
There is nothing in the law to support Mr. Bombay's request
Bombay先生请求协助死亡并冷冻的请求
that he be assisted in his quest to die.
法律中没有可支持的条款
And that's what this is, assisted suicide.
那意味着协助自杀
Now, we hear a lot of talk about personal autonomy.
现在我们听到很多关于个人自主的谈论
But there is a sanctity to life, your honor.
但生命是神圣的,法官大人
A state has interest in that sanctity.
国家对生命的神圣担负责任
If we erode that in any way,
如果我们践踏生命
well, we make the idea of suicide more acceptable,
如果我们默许了自杀行为
perhaps more conceivable for the troubled teenager or the depressed mother.
或许会有更多困境中的年轻人,或绝望的母亲自杀
You say suicide in some situations is an option.
你说在某些情况下自杀是一种可行的选择
But we have an overriding state interest
但是我们还拥有高于个人的国家利益
and a humane one in not sending that message.
我们还有人道关怀
You...
你?
That was beautiful. Now sit.
这样很好,坐下
At the risk of sounding immodest,
可能有人说我很自负
I am one of the greatest lawyers, possibly the greatest to grace
但我认为我是最伟大的律师之一
the courtrooms of this commonwealth,
我为这个国家的法庭增添了光彩
and just the possibility of being able to still try cases in the 22nd century...
或许还能继续把官司打到22世纪
I have A.L.S.
我患有肌萎缩侧索硬化症
In a few months,
今后的几个月里
I'll lose motor control,
我的肌肉将萎缩
control of my bowels.
内脏也将衰竭
My brain will begin to...
我的大脑将开始?
and in a year or so, I'll be dead.
一年多之内我就将告别人世
Legends shouldn't die like that.
传奇人物不能就这样死去
I don't want to die like that.
我也不想这样死去
Cryonics might not work.
人体冷冻或许没有效
But 100 years ago, nobody was talking about cloning or the human genome.
但是100年前人们对克隆或人体基因,毫无了解
And 100 years from now, who knows what's possible?
谁又能预言100年后的世界呢
I truly, truly love life.
我非常,非常热爱生命
And the chance to be living again
和死后的虚无缥缈相比
seems preferable to eternal nothingness.
我更珍爱这个能重生的机会
And, uh, well... what Red sox fan wouldn't jump at the chance to lie next to Ted Williams?
为什么红袜队
I realize, your honor,
法官大人
that no judge would do what I'm asking for.
我知道没有法官会答应我的请求
Do it anyway.
不管怎样,宣判吧
Why didn't you tell me you were sick?
为什么你不告诉我你生病了
Because I'm a tree.
因为假如我是一棵树
When I fall, I want it to be in a forest.
当我倒下时我希望能倒在森林里
What the hell does that mean?
该死的这是什么意思
It means I didn't want anybody to know.
意思是我不想让别人知道
I don't want to be pitied.
我不想别人可怜我
All I want is to be...
我只想成为?
Denny Crane
丹尼·克兰
Mine's bigger.
我的雪茄更大
You know...
你知道?
I've always admired you, Milton.
我一直都很钦佩你,米尔顿
I'm not dead yet.
我还没死呢
When is the judge gonna rule?
法官说什么时候裁决
He said by tonight.
今晚
I grew up watching Walter Cronkite.
我是看着沃尔特·克朗凯特长大的
It was a time the news seemed to be fair, objective, trusted.
那时候的新闻很客观,公正,可信
In fact, whenever we doubted the blather coming out of the politicians' mouths,
事实上当我们怀疑政客嘴里滔滔不绝的,废话时
it was the press we turned to to get a sense of the truth.
我们会在新闻里寻找信任感
Well, Walter Cronkite has definitely left the building.
沃尔特·克朗凯特已经离开了
When it comes to credibility, big media is dead.
主流媒体的可信度岌岌可危
Networks pander,
曲意奉迎的广播公司
some to conservatives, others to liberals.
保守派的,自由派的
This past election, you could turn to one channel to see president Bush ahead.
上一次的大选报导,一个频道里总统布什遥遥领先
Turn to another to see Kerry leading.
另一个频道里Kerry却胜券在握
Ridiculous.
实在荒谬
And I agree with Mr. Shore.
我同意肖尔先生的看法
It's probably more about money than ideology,
在金钱面前,思想意识不堪一击
and being about money,
全是金钱在作祟
well, why shouldn't networks be free to adopt a bias
为了更高的收视率
in hopes of attracting a bigger audience?
广播公司为什么不能任意偏向任何一方呢
This is America.
这是美国
Mr. Harper,
哈珀先生
I realize times have changed in the high schools as well.
我注意到中学也在改变
Hate violence is on the rise.
对暴力的仇恨渐长
Administrators have to be freer to curtail students' civil liberties,
管理者们肆意限制学生的合法自由
including disruptive speech.
包括负面言论
But attaching a device to a television that blocks out a certain network
但是仅仅因为节目内容
because of the content, that seems to go too far.
在电视上安装装置来阻止某个广播公司,就太过分了
It's censorship, sir.
这是擅自的审查行为,先生
And I can't let it stand.
我不能接受
The motion for the plaintiff is granted.
原告胜诉
I don't know what to say, Mr. Shore.
我不知道该说什么,肖尔先生
You were incredibly brilliant.
你太有才了
Yes.
是的
If there's any retribution at the school, let us know.
如果学校里有任何报复行为通知我们
Yeah, I will.
我会的
Thank you both.
谢谢你们两个
Your country thanks you.
你的祖国感谢你
My country thanks me.
我的祖国感谢我
This is where he gives his ruling.
这就是他做出裁决的地方
Thank you.
谢谢你
Mr. Bombay, it seems ironic,
Bombay先生,真是讽刺啊
if not indecent, that the state's interest in preserving life
国家应该维护你死亡的权利
should mandate that you die rather than be frozen a wrenching and painful death, in hopes of finding a cure.
在痛苦中死去而不是怀着治愈的希望被冷冻
But that is the law as it stands today.
但这就是今天的法律
We live in a country that celebrates individual liberties and personal autonomy,
这个国家崇尚个人自由和个人自主
but when it comes to controlling your own destiny,
但是谈到掌控自己的命运
this is a freedom that does not yet ring.
这只是沉默的自由
I will pray for you,
我为你祈祷
but I cannot grant you your request.
但我不能同意你的请求
Your motion is denied.
你的请求遭到拒绝
God bless you.
上帝保佑你
I'm sorry.
对不起
We can appeal.
我们可以上诉
Next time, I'll close.
下次我来结案
That's all right, that's all right. I'm, uh,
好的,好的
heading for Arizona,
我要去亚利桑那州
try my luck with the courts down there.
去那儿的法庭碰碰运气
Milton, no court anywhere is going to rule in your favor.
米尔顿任何法庭的裁决都不会对你有利
Even so, there's a cryonics facility there,
尽管如此,还是有冷冻设备
so whenever the time comes...
所以随着时间?
Do you know anybody in Arizona?
你在亚利桑那州有熟人吗
No, and that's the point.
没有,那才是问题的关键
I don't want to deteriorate in front of my...
我不想病情恶化,当着?
Clearly, you're not inclined to follow my advice,
显然你不会接受我的建议
but do not go off to die alone.
但是千万不要一个人孤单的离开人世
Hey, you live your way, Shirley,
雪莉,你有你的生活方式
I'll die mine.
我有我的死亡方式
I'm entitled to be remembered for...
人们会记得我的
Thank you both for your efforts.
谢谢你们两个的努力
Milton Milton
米尔顿,米尔顿
We go way back, you and I.
我们已经认识很久了
Let's not get carried away.
别把话题扯太远
We were worthy adversaries, occasional drinking buddies,
工作上我们棋逢对手,偶尔也一起喝酒消遣
but it's not as if we had great affection for one another.
但还没到交情笃厚的地步
Anyway...
不管怎样
We'll see you, Milton.
我们会再见的,米尔顿
Yeah. See you.
是的,再见
See you, Denny.
再见,丹尼
Good-bye, my friend.
再见,我的朋友
Good-bye. Good-bye.
再见,再见
I'm sorry. Hey.
对不起
People get old, get sick. It happens to everybody.
人人都要面对生老病死
How close were you?
你们交情有多深
It's not that we went that deep. It's...
不是太深厚
We went...
我们?
way back.
认识很久
You can be larger than life, just not death.
你可以掌控生命,但无法征服死亡
He went off to Arizona? Yeah.
他去了亚利桑那州,是的
I really admired him more than...
我真的很钦佩他?
You go through life, and you never tell people how much you care about them,
你历经生活,从来不会对别人表达你的关心
when...
当?
people should probably do that more, you know?
人们应该经常这么做,知道吗
I care about you.
我关心你
I wasn't fishing for that. I fish for steelhead, not mush.
我不在意那个,我要的是钢铁般的头脑,不是儿女情长
I care about you, Denny.
我关心你,丹尼
You don't have to say it back.
你不需要回应我
Wasn't planning to.
我不会