LESSON 8
第8课
stroke
轻抚
beggar
乞丐
streaks
条纹
needful
必要的
counsel
顾问
THE WHITE KITTEN
小白猫
My little white kitten is asleep on my knee;
小猫在我的膝盖上睡着了,
As white as the snow or the lilies is she;
她身上的毛洁白如雪,
She wakes up with a pur;
像百合花一样纯洁;
When I stroke her soft fur;
当我轻抚她的软发时,
Was there ever another white kitten like her?
带着咕噜咕噜的声音她醒来了,其他小白猫能像她这样吗?
My little white kitten now wants to go out;
我的小白猫现在要出去嬉闹,
And frolic, with no one to watch her about;
却没有人能守护她;
"Little kitten," I say,"Just an hour you may stay,"
“小猫咪呀,”我说,“你只能玩一个小时,”
And be careful in choosing your places to play.
好好选个玩耍之地哟。
But night has come down, when I hear a loud "mew";
夜晚来临,我听到“喵喵”的叫声,
I open the door, and my kitten comes through;
我打开门,小白猫进来了;
My white kitten! ah me!
我的小白猫呀!哎呀呀!
Can it really be she? This ill-looking, beggar-like cat that I see?
这难道真的是她吗?一只相貌丑陋、乞丐一样的小猫!
What ugly, gray streaks on her side and her back!
背部和身上全是灰色条痕!
Her nose, once as pink as a rosebud, is black!
玫瑰花蕾般的粉红小鼻也染成了黑色!
Oh, I very well know,
哦,我好像明白了,
Though she does not say so,
虽然她并没有说,
She has been where white kittens ought never to go.
她肯定去了一个不该去的地方。
If little good children intend to do right,
如果小孩们能正确行事,
If little white kittens would keep themselves white,
如果小白猫能保持洁白,
It is needful that they;Should this counsel obey,
也就不必有这么多的规矩要遵守,
And be careful in choosing their places to play.
也要仔细选择玩耍的地方哟。