LESSON 5
第5课
string
线
paper
纸
eagerly
急切地
dashed
冲
case
情况
crash
崩溃
dishes
菜
retorted
反驳
sentence
句子
tray
托盘
CASTLE-BUILDING (CONCLUDED)
建造城堡(结束篇)
Soon, Herbert was as much interested in castle-building ashe had been a little while before.
很快,赫伯特就对新建的城堡产生了更浓厚的兴趣。
He began to sing over his work. All his trouble was gone.
而且开始为自己的工作欢呼了。他所有的问题都解决了。
"This is a great deal better than crying, isn't it?" said papa.
“这样可比无谓的哭泣好多了,难道不是吗?”爸爸说。
"Crying for what?" asked Herbert, forgetting his grief of a few minutes before.
“为什么要哭呀?”赫伯特问道,他已经忘记了刚才的伤痛。
Because pussy knocked your castle over.
因为小猫碰倒了你的城堡呀。
"Oh!" A shadow flitted across his face, but was gone in amoment, and he went on building as eagerly as ever.
“噢!”一丝阴影掠过他的面庞,但很快就消失了,他继续建筑自己的城堡。
"I told him not to cry over spilled milk," said Joe, looking down from his place on the sofa.
“我告诉过他,别为已经出现的失败而沮丧。”乔一边说着,一边坐在沙发上向这边观望。
"I wonder if you didn't cry when your kite string broke,"retorted Herbert.
赫伯特反驳道:“我想知道,如果你的风筝线断了,你是否真的不哭。”
"Losing a kite is quite another thing," answered Joe, a little dashed.
“风筝丢了就是另一回事了,”乔回答道,情绪有点激动。
The kite was gone forever; but your blocks were as good as before, and you had only to build again.
风筝若没了,就永远也找不回来了。但是你的积木却完好如初,只需重新搭一座新的城堡就好了。
"I don't see," said papa, "that crying was of any more use in your case then in Herbert's. "
爸爸说:“依我看,无论你,还是赫伯特,在这种情况下都不应该哭,一味地哭泣并没有用。”
Sticks and paper are easily found, and you had only to go to work and make another kite.
棍棒和纸也很容易找到,你只要重新做一个风筝就好了。
Joe looked down at his book, and went on reading.
乔低头看了看自己的书,不再出声了。
By this time the castle was finished.
这时,一座新的城堡已经建好了。
"It is ever so much nicer than the one pussy knocked down," said Hetty.
海蒂说:“它甚至比刚才那座被猫咪撞倒的城堡还好看。”
And so thought Herbert, as he looked at it proudly from all sides.
赫伯特也这样认为,因为无论从哪一方面,他都为此感到骄傲。
If pussy knocks that down, I'll
要是小猫再把它撞倒了,我就……
"Build it up again," said papa, finishing the sentence for his little boy.
“重新再搭一座。”爸爸赶紧接过了他的话茬。
"But, papa, pussy must not knock my castles down. I can't have it," spoke out Herbert, knitting his forehead.
“可是,爸爸,猫咪千万不能再把我的城堡撞倒了,我可受不了。”赫伯特皱着眉头,大喊道。
You must watch her, then.
那么,你自己要守护好它。
Little boys, as well as grown up people, have to be often on their guard.
无论小孩子,还是长大以后,都要做好自己的守护工作。
If you go into the street, you have to look out for the carriages, so as not to be run over, and you have to keep out of people's way.
如果你在大街上行走,一定要留心马车,不能被它撞倒,而且你还要留心别挡住其他人的路。
In the house, if you go about heedlessly, you will be very apt to run against some one.
即使在房子里,如果你走路不小心,也会撞倒什么东西。
I have seen a careless child dash suddenly into a room just as a servant was leaving it with atray of dishes in her hands.
我就曾经亲眼见过,在仆人举着一叠托盘离开时,一个粗心大意的小孩子猛然冲进屋里。
A crash followed.
不可避免地,盘子碎了一地。
"It was I, wasn't it?" said Hetty.
“这不正是我吗?“海蒂不好意思地说。
Yes, I believe it was, and I hope it will never happen again.
是的,我也这么认为,希望以后再也不要发生同样的事情。
Papa now left the room, saying, "I don't want any more of this crying over spilled milk, as Joe says. "
“就像乔说得那样,我也不希望再听到为失败而哭泣的声音了。”爸爸一边说着,一边离开了房间
If your castles get knocked down, build them up again.
如果你的城堡倒掉了,再建一次就好了。