I crossed the street to avoid meeting him,
我穿过马路以便避开他
but he saw me and came running towards me.
但他看到了我 并朝我跑过来
It was no use pretending that I had not seen him,
若再装作没看见他已是没有用了
so I waved to him.
我只好向他招手
I never enjoy meeting Nigel Dykes.
我就怕遇到奈杰尔·戴克斯
He never has anything to do.
他从来都是无事可做
No matter how busy you are,
不管你多忙
he always insists on coming with you.
他总是坚持要跟你去
I had to think of a way of preventing him
我得想办法
from following me around all morning.
不让他整个上午缠着我
'Hello, Nigel,' I said.
你好 奈杰尔
'Fancy meeting you here!'
想不到在这儿见到你 我说
'Hi, Elizabeth,' Nigel answered.
你好 伊丽莎白 奈杰尔回答说
'I was just wondering how to spend the morning --
我正不知道怎么消磨这一上午呢
until I saw you.
正好见到你
You're not busy doing anything, are you?'
你不忙 是吗
'No, not at all,' I answered.
不 不忙
'I'm going to...'
我打算去 我回答
'Would you mind my coming with you?'
我跟你一道去行吗
he asked, before I had finished speaking.
没等我说完话他就问道
'Not at all,' I lied,
没关系
'but I'm going to the dentist.'
但我准备去牙医那里 我说了个谎
'Then I'll come with you,' he answered.
那我也跟你去
'There's always plenty to read in the waiting room!
候诊室里总有很多东西可供阅读 他回答