I was being tested for a driving licence for the third time.
我第3次接受驾驶执照考试
I had been asked to drive in heavy traffic
按照要求在车辆拥挤的路上驾驶
and had done so successfully.
我圆满地完成了
After having been instructed to drive out of town,
在接到把车开出城的指令后
I began to acquire confidence.
我开始有了信心
Sure that I had passed,
确信我已通过考试
I was almost beginning to enjoy my test.
所以我几乎开始喜欢起这次考试
The examiner must have been pleased with my performance,
主考人对我的驾驶想必是满意的
for he smiled and said,
因为他微笑着说
'Just one more thing, Mr. Eames.
埃姆斯先生 只剩1项了
Let us suppose that a child suddenly crosses the road in front of you.
让我们假设一个小孩子突然在你前面穿过马路
As soon as I tap on the window,
我一敲车窗
you must stop within five feet.'
你必须把车停在5英尺之内
I continued driving and after some time,
我继续往前开着 过了一会儿
the examiner tapped loudly.
主考人砰砰地敲了起来
Though the sound could be heard clearly,
虽然声音听得很清楚
it took me a long time to react.
但我过了好一会儿才作出反应
I suddenly pressed the brake pedal hard
我突然用力踩紧刹车踏板
and we were both thrown forward.
结果我俩的身体都向前冲去
The examiner looked at me sadly.
主考人伤心地看着我
'Mr. Eames,' he said, in a mournful voice,
埃姆斯先生 他以悲伤的声调说
'you have just killed that child!'
你刚刚把那个小孩压死了