Every day Hans saw a young princess riding past the blacksmith shop.
汉斯每天都会看到一位年轻的公主从铁匠铺门前经过。
She was the most beautiful princess in the world.
她是世界上最美丽的公主。
Hans often said to himself, "How I wish I could do something for this lovely princess!"
汉斯经常跟自己说,我多么希望自己能为这位可爱的公主效力。
At last he went to the palace gate and asked the gate-keeper if there was not some work for him to do in the palace.
终于有一天,汉斯来到了王宫的大门口,他问门卫王官里有没有自己能做的工作。
"What can you do, young man?" asked the gate-keeper.
年轻人,你能做什么呢?门卫问道。
"I am willing to do any kind of work that the king may need to have done," answered Hans.
我愿意做国王需要的任何工作,汉斯回答说。
So the keeper of the gate told the king that there was a tall young man waiting outside, who wanted to work for him.
于是门卫禀报国王说,门外有一个高个子的年轻人,他想为国王效力。
"Bring the young man to me," said the king.
把年轻人带来吧,国王说,
When Hans went into the palace, the king asked, "What can you do, young man?"
汉斯进入王宫后,国王问道,年轻人你能做什么?
And again Hans answered, "I am willing to do anything that you may need to have done.
汉斯再次回答,我愿意做国王需要的任何事情。
Most of all, I should like to work for the beautiful princess."
最重要的是我想为美丽的公主效力。
"You would, would you?" cried the king, "Well, I will give you something to do first.
你真的愿意吗?国王问道。好吧,我先给你一些事情做。
At the bottom of the North Sea there is a string of enchanted pearls.
在北海的海底有一串魔法珍珠。
If you will get those pearls and bring them to me, you may then work for the princess as long as you like."
如果你能得到这些珍珠并把它们交给我,那么只要你愿意,你想为公主效力多长时间都行。