“A traveling trader,” said August, “and he sold it to some art dealers.”
“一个旅行商人,”奥古斯特说道,“他把它卖给了一些艺术品经销商。”
“What sum did the trader pay your father, do you know?” asked the king.
“你知道那个商人付给你父亲多少钱吗?”国王问。
“Two hundred florins,” said August. “It was so much money, and he is so poor, and there are so many of us.”
“两百弗罗林,”奥古斯特说道,“钱太多了,他又那么穷,我们又那么多人。”
The king turned to his companions. “Did these art dealers come with the stove?”
国王转向他的同伴们。“这些艺术品商人是带着炉子来的吗?”
When he was told that they had done so, he ordered them to be brought before him.
国王知道他们的行为后就命令他们到他面前来。
“You are pale, little one. When did you eat last?’’
“你脸色苍白,,小家伙。你最后一次吃饭时什么时候?”
“I had some bread and sausage with me. Yesterday afternoon I finished it.”
“我带了一些面包和香肠。昨天下午我吃完了。”
“You would like to eat now?”
“你现在想吃东西吗?”
“If I might have a little water, I should be glad. My throat is very dry.”
“如果我能喝点水,我会很高兴。我的喉咙很干。”
The king had water brought for him, and cake also; but August, though he drank eagerly, could not eat anything. His mind was in too great trouble.
国王给他拿来了水和蛋糕;可是奥古斯特,尽管他喝了很多水,却什么也吃不下。他的思想陷入了极大的困境。
“May I stay with Hirschvogel?—May I?” he said.
“我可以和赫希沃格尔一起留下吗?拜托了。”他说道。