Dick. Oh, Mother! We have been to the baker’s shop.
迪克:哦,妈妈!我们去过面包店了。
Fanny. We smelled our goose, Mother! The baker says it is nearly done. There are a dozen geese in his big oven. Oh, how good they smell!
范妮:我们闻到了烤鹅的香味,妈妈!面包师说快烤好了。他的大烤箱里有许多鹅。噢,它们闻起来真香!
Dick. And the sage and onions, too. Oh! oh! oh! oh!
迪克:还有鼠尾草和洋葱。噢!噢!噢!噢!
[The two children dance up and down.]
[两个孩子蹦蹦跳跳。]
Fanny. Oh, Dick, see Peter’s new collar! How fine he looks in it! Dick. It is father’s collar. Some day I can have one of father’s collars, too. Then I will go to walk in the Park. Doesn’t Peter look beautiful?
范妮:哦,迪克,快看彼得的新衣领!他看起来真帅气!迪克,这是爸爸的衣领。总有一天我也会拥有爸爸的一个衣领,然后我就去公园散步。彼得看起来难道不帅气吗?
[They dance around Peter.]
[他们围着彼得跳跃。]
Mrs. Cratchit. Where can your dear father be?
克拉特基特夫人:你们亲爱的爸爸去哪了?
And your brother, Tiny Tim? And Martha wasn’t as late as this last Christmas!
还有你们的弟弟,小提姆?玛莎不会像去年圣诞节那样迟到那么久吧!
[Martha comes in.]
[玛莎走进屋。]
Fanny. Here’s Martha, Mother. Oh, Martha, there’s such a goose in the baker’s oven!
范妮:玛莎来了,妈妈。噢,玛莎,面包师的烤炉里烤着一只鹅!
Mrs. Cratchit. [ Taking off Martha's bonnet and shawl, and kissing her half a dozen times.] Why, bless your heart, my dear, how late you are!
克拉特基特夫人:[摘下玛莎的帽子和披肩,亲了她好几次。]为什么,我的天哪,亲爱的,你这么晚才来!
Martha. We worked till very late in the shop last night. Then we had to get up early this morning to clear everything away.
玛莎:我们昨晚在店铺工作到很晚,今天早上我们得早起,把所有东西都清理干净。
Mrs. Cratchit. Well, never mind, so long as you have come. Sit down before the fire, my dear, and get warm.
克拉特基特夫人:没关系,你来了就好。坐在火炉前吧,亲爱的,烤暖和点。
Dick. Here’s Father coming! Hide, Martha, hide!
迪克:爸爸回来了!藏起来,玛莎,藏起来!
[Martha hides behind the door as Bob Cratchit comes in. One end of a comforter hangs down before him, and the rest is wound tightly about his neck. His worn clothes are carefully mended and brushed. Tiny Tim, holding a crutch in his hand, is on his father’s shoulder.]
[鲍勃·克拉特基特进屋时,玛莎躲到门后。围巾的一头垂在他胸前,其余部分紧紧地缠在他的脖子上。他的旧衣服经过细心地修补和擦拭。小提姆手里拿着拐杖,坐在父亲肩上。]
Bob Cratchit. [Looking around.] Why, where’s our Martha?
鲍勃·克拉特基特:[环顾四周。]为什么我们的玛莎没来?
Fanny and Dick. Not coming!
范妮和迪克,也没来!
Bob Cratchit. [ Surprised and disappointed.] Not coming? On Christmas Day?
鲍勃·克拉特基特:[感到惊讶又失望。]不来了吗?在圣诞节这天?
[He puts Tiny Tim down.]
[他放下小提姆。]
Mrs. Cratchit. We must not make Father sad with our jokes. No, Martha is not coming, because she is already here.
克拉特基特夫人:我们不能让爸爸因为我们开的玩笑而感到伤心。不,玛莎不来了,因为她已经在这里了。
Martha. [Running out ] Here I am, Father! Merry Christmas to you!
玛莎:[跑出来]我在这,爸爸!祝您圣诞快乐!