WHO SHALL BE MAY QUEEN?
谁来做五月女王?
Phila Butler Bowman
作者菲拉·巴特勒·鲍曼
Much as we love winter with its happy times at Thanksgiving and Christmas, we are all glad when Maytime comes.
就像我们因为感恩节和圣诞节的欢乐时光而喜爱冬天一样,我们也都很高兴五月时光的到来。
What pleasure it is to find the first flowers, to see the leaves slowly come out on the trees,
找到第一批盛开的花朵,看到树叶慢慢从树上冒出来,
and to welcome our bird friends back from their winter homes!
欢迎我们的鸟类朋友从它们的冬季家园飞回,真是太高兴了!
If you read this story carefully, you will learn some interesting things about spring.
如果你仔细阅读这个故事,你将学到一些关于春天的趣事。
Out in the May meadow the wild grapevine was flinging itself around a slender young tree.
在五月的草地上,野生葡萄藤缠绕着一棵纤细的小树。
"What a beautiful Maypole the grapevine has made of the tree!" said Jack-in-the-Pulpit.
“葡萄藤将这棵树缠绕成了多么美丽的五朔节花柱啊!”天南星说。
"Let's have a May party, now that we have a Maypole."
“既然有了五朔节花柱,那我们开个欢庆五月的派对吧。”
"Hurrah!" cried the wild flowers, who at once began talking about who should be May Queen.
“好哇!”野花们喊道,他们立刻开始谈论让谁来做五月女王。
"I was the first flower up," said the Crocus.
“我是第一朵盛开的花,”番红花说。
"I think I should be chosen."
“我想应该选我。”
"Oh, no!" said the Arbutus.
“哦,不!”杨梅说。
"I was cuddled down under my leaves, keeping warm, and saw you rubbing your eyes long after I was awake."
我蜷缩在叶子下取暖,醒后很久才看见你在揉眼睛。”
"I think it ought to be a tall flower," said the Hyacinth; "and fragrant."
“我想应该是一朵高大的花”风信子说,“而且很香。”
"Because you know you are both," laughed the Trillium;
“因为你们知道你俩都很高大,”延龄草笑着说,
"but how about the Lilac? She is taller than you and just as fragrant."
“那丁香呢?她比你高,而且也很香。”