A BACKWARD LOOK
后记
Each holiday has its own special kind of celebration.
每个节日都有自己独特的庆祝活动。
Christmas means giving and receiving presents.
圣诞节意味着送出并接受礼物。
On birthdays we make others happy with presents and best wishes.
在生日那天,我们用礼物和美好的祝愿让别人开心。
Thanksgiving makes us think of a feast of good things to eat.
感恩节让我们想到了一顿美食盛宴。
Fourth of July calls to mind fireworks, games, and parades.
七月四日,让人们想起烟花、游戏和游行。
What a sad world this would be without holidays!
如果没有假期,这将是一个多么悲伤的世界!
But there is something more to a holiday than these things we do: there is a spirit, or feeling, that we should have.
但是,假期中还有比我们所做的这些更重要的事情:我们应该持有一种精神或一种感觉。
Turn back to page 319 and read the last two lines of the little poem there.
回到第319页,读那页上那首小诗的最后两行。
Where must Christmas really begin?
圣诞节到底从何开始?
Who in these stories did not have Christmas in his heart?
这些故事中的人物,谁心中没有圣诞节呢?
The Cratchit were poor, and Father and Mother Cratchit were worried about Tiny Tim's health; but they were happy on Christmas.
克拉特基特一家非常贫穷,父母都担心小提姆的健康;但他们在圣诞节这天过得非常开心。
There was Christmas in their hearts.
圣诞节在他们心中。
How did the Pilgrims show, on the first day of their festival, that Thanksgiving was in their hearts?
在感恩节庆祝的第一天,朝圣者如何表现出他们心中的节日?
On the Fourth of July, what spirit should you have in your heart?
在七月四日这一天,你心中应该抱持怎样的精神?
Of course your family celebrated Christmas for you when you were just a baby.
当你还是个孩子时,你的家人都会为你庆祝圣诞节。
You probably received rattles and other toys, but you did not know what it all meant.
你可能收到了拨浪鼓和其他玩具,但你不知道这一切意味着什么。
Can you tell the true meaning of some of the holidays now?
你现在能说出一些假期的真正含义吗?
If you will turn to page 374, you will find a list of books that have some other good stories about holidays.
如果你翻到第374页,会发现一个书目,里面是有关假期的其他有趣的故事。
You would enjoy reading them.
你会喜欢阅读它们的。