"And what is thy other reason?" said Prince John,
“你另一个理由是什么?”亲王问道,
who, for some cause which perhaps he could not himself have explained, felt a painful curiosity respecting this individual.
这时亲王对这个人生出一丝好奇,但为什么会这样,他自己也说不清楚。
"Because," replied the woodsman, "I know not if these yeomen and I are used to shoot at the same marks;
“因为,”樵夫回答道,“我不知道这些侍卫是否曾经和我一起比过赛;
and because, moreover, I know not how your Grace might relish the winning of a third prize by one who has unwittingly fallen under your displeasure."
而且,因为我不知道殿下您是否愿意让曾经无意触怒过您的人得奖。”
Prince John coloured as he put the question, "What is thy name, yeoman?"
樵夫说完之后,亲王脸色大变,“你叫什么名字?”
"Locksley," answered the yeoman.
“草民罗宾汉,”樵夫答道。
"Then, Locksley," said Prince John, "thou shalt shoot in thy turn,
“那么,罗宾汉,”亲王说,“这些侍卫展示完后,
when these yeomen have displayed their skill.
就轮到你射箭了。
If thou carriest the prize, I will add to it twenty nobles;
如果你赢了,我再赐给你二十个仆人;
but if thou losest it, thou shalt be stripped of thy Lincoln green,
但你要是输了,就要脱下林肯绿呢,
and scourged out of the lists with bow-strings, for a wordy and insolent braggart."
交出弓箭,并为你的狂妄自大接受鞭打。”
"And how if I refuse to shoot on such a wager?" said the yeoman.
“如果草民拒绝以这样打赌的方式来比赛会怎么样呢?”樵夫说。
—"Your Grace's power, supported as it is by so many men-at-arms,
——“殿下,您身边都是全副武装的侍卫,
may indeed easily strip and scourge me, but cannot compel me to bend or to draw my bow."
您要杀要剐请便,但我绝不会在这样的条件下比赛。”