Let us resolve to make our government a place for what Franklin Roosevelt called "bold, persistent experimentation," a government for our tomorrows, not our yesterdays.
让我们下定决心,使政府成为富兰克林?罗斯福所说的进行"大胆而持久试验"的地方,成为一个面向未来而不是留恋过去的政府。
Let us give this capital back to the people to whom it belongs.
让我们把这个首都归还给它所属于的人民。
To renew America, we must meet challenges abroad as well at home.
我们要复兴美国,就必须迎接国内外的种种挑战。
There is no longer division between what is foreign and what is domestic; the world economy, the world environment, the world AIDS crisis, the world arms race; they affect us all.
国外和国内事务之间已不再有明确的界限--世界经济,世界环境,世界艾滋病危机,世界军备竞赛,这一切都在影响着我们大家。
Today, as an old order passes, the new world is more free but less stable.
我们在国内进行重建的同时,面对这个新世界的挑战不会退缩不前,也下会坐失良机。
Communism's collapse has called forth old animosities and new dangers.
共产主义的崩溃激起了旧的仇恨和新的危险。
Clearly America must continue to lead the world we did so much to make.
显然,美国必须继续领导这个我们曾经付出巨大努力而创造的世界。
While America rebuilds at home, we will not shrink from the challenges, nor fail to seize the opportunities, of this new world.
当我们致力于重建美国的时候,我们不会在这个新世界的挑战面前退缩,也不会坐失良机。
Together with our friends and allies, we will work to shape change, lest it engulf us.
我们将同盟友一起努力进行变革,以免被变革所吞没。
When our vital interests are challenged, or the will and conscience of the international community is defied, we will act; with peaceful diplomacy when ever possible, with force when necessary.
当我们的重要利益受到挑战,或者当国际社会的意志和良知受到蔑视,我们将采取行动--可能时就采用和平外交手段,必要时就使用武力。
The brave Americans serving our nation today in the Persian Gulf, in Somalia, and wherever else they stand are testament to our resolve.
今天,在波斯湾、索马里和任何其他地方为国效力的勇敢的美国人,都证明了我们的决心。
But our greatest strength is the power of our ideas, which are still new in many lands.
但是,我们最伟大的力量是我们思想的威力。这些思想在许多国家仍然处于萌芽阶段。
Across the world, we see them embraced, and we rejoice.
看到这些思想在世界各地被接受,我们感到欢欣鼓舞。
Our hopes, our hearts, our hands, are with those on every continent who are building democracy and freedom.
我们的希望,我们的心,与每一个大陆正在建立民主和自由的人们是连在一起的。
Their cause is America's cause.
他们的事业也是美国的事业。
The American people have summoned the change we celebrate today.
美国人民唤来了我们今天所庆祝的变革。
You have raised your voices in an unmistakable chorus.
你们毫不含糊地齐声疾呼。
You have cast your votes in historic numbers.
你们以前所未有的人数参加了投票。
And you have changed the face of Congress, the presidency and the political process itself.
你们使国会、总统职务和政治进程本身全都面目一新。
Yes, you, my fellow Americans have forced the spring.
现在,我们必须做这个季节需要做的工作。
Now, we must do the work the season demands.
现在,我就运用我的全部职权转向这项工作。
To that work I now turn, with all the authority of my office. I ask the Congress to join with me.
我请求国会同我一道做这项工作。